11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 31, 2007 11:57 PM by Deaf Web Designer

FIREWORKS V. PHOTOSHOP

dsmflash
      Which program is best to use for buttons and interfaces and such? I found Photoshop cumbersome when creating such graphics as glass buttons, etc. Can anyone elaborate on this? Thank you in advance
        • 1. Re: FIREWORKS V. PHOTOSHOP
          Level 1
          There is a BIG difference between Fireworks and Photoshop.

Fireworks is ideally a web image/graphic editing application, while Photoshop is really a high-end, high-quality professional image editing application usually designed for professional photographers or professional designers to work with Photoshop.

However there is Photoshop ImageReady, other application "on the side" by the way of Photoshop suite, you can do fundemantals of web-related graphics and images for web use around ImageReady.

In other words, Fireworks 8 is the one you should be looking at, because it works beautifully and is intended for web use.

There are some great Fireworks tutorials at Adobe Developer Center under Fireworks section.

Hope that helps, no?
          • 2. Re: FIREWORKS V. PHOTOSHOP
            Level 7
            dsmflash,

Here is an excellent article by Stéphane Bergeron explaining the
            differences between the two:

http://pixelyzed.com/pixelforge/whychoosefireworks/

alex

dsmflash wrote:
            > Which program is best to use for buttons and interfaces and such? I found Photoshop cumbersome when creating such graphics as glass buttons, etc. Can anyone elaborate on this? Thank you in advance
            • 3. Re: FIREWORKS V. PHOTOSHOP
              P-C-Surgeonz
              What about different text styles/effects. It seems as though Fireworks is somewhat limited to text. Is Photoshop better for this when designing a logo? Or are there Fireworks templates that add additional styles/effects when creating logos? I'm still using Fireworks MX but have used the trial version of Fireworks 8 and don't notice a big difference. I ask these question because I am in the process of redesigning my company logo and am at a stand still with Fireworks. Maybe I need to look at a few Fireworks text tutorials to get some ideas.
              • 4. Re: FIREWORKS V. PHOTOSHOP
                Level 7
                Use the presets in the Styles Panel. You will notice that each one adds
                effects in the Live Effects window which can also be tweaked.

A Google search will uncover other styles available for download.

alex

P-C-Surgeonz wrote:
                > What about different text styles/effects. It seems as though Fireworks is
                > somewhat limited to text. Is Photoshop better for this when designing a logo?
                > Or are there Fireworks templates that add additional styles/effects when
                > creating logos? I'm still using Fireworks MX but have used the trial version of
                > Fireworks 8 and don't notice a big difference. I ask these question because I
                > am in the process of redesigning my company logo and am at a stand still with
                > Fireworks. Maybe I need to look at a few Fireworks text tutorials to get some
                > ideas.
                >
                • 5. Re: FIREWORKS V. PHOTOSHOP
                  P-C-Surgeonz Level 1
                  Thanks for the info. I have tried these styles but it looks like I need to spend more time tweaking them around a bit.
                  • 6. Re: FIREWORKS V. PHOTOSHOP
                    Level 1
                    P-C-Surgeonz,

As for designing basic logo concept, you can do that with Fireworks 8 around vector-based. Did you know that Fireworks have two primary functions: bitmapped and vector-based capacity? Perhaps that you want to learn more about those two capacities around Fireworks tutorials.

In addition, do you happen to have Illustrator? With Illustrator, you can create more beautifully logo design that way. I don't know if you have a Adobe Creative Studio (CS2) package. I assume that you only have Dreamweaver and Fireworks on your machine, no?

quote:

Originally posted by: P-C-Surgeonz
                    What about different text styles/effects. It seems as though Fireworks is somewhat limited to text. Is Photoshop better for this when designing a logo? Or are there Fireworks templates that add additional styles/effects when creating logos? I'm still using Fireworks MX but have used the trial version of Fireworks 8 and don't notice a big difference. I ask these question because I am in the process of redesigning my company logo and am at a stand still with Fireworks. Maybe I need to look at a few Fireworks text tutorials to get some ideas.

• 7. Re: FIREWORKS V. PHOTOSHOP
                      Level 1
                      Yup, it takes some practice to do the task you want, for sure.

quote:

Originally posted by: P-C-Surgeonz
                      Thanks for the info. I have tried these styles but it looks like I need to spend more time tweaking them around a bit.

• 8. Re: FIREWORKS V. PHOTOSHOP
                        Level 7
                        P-C-Surgeonz;
                        IMO logos are best designed using pure vectors in applications such as
                        Freehand, Illustrator, Draw etc... -Tom Unger

• 9. Re: FIREWORKS V. PHOTOSHOP
                          abeall Level 3
                          > IMO logos are best designed using pure vectors in applications such as
                          > Freehand, Illustrator, Draw etc... -Tom Unger

Agreed, although FW is a nice place to build web logos. The FireFox logo is a product of Fireworks(interesting they are fire, hadn't thought of that):

http://www.hicksdesign.co.uk/journal/branding-firefox
                          • 10. Re: FIREWORKS V. PHOTOSHOP
                            Level 7
                            abeall;
                            They certainly did a good job with that design, and it's nice to know
                            they used fireworks for it--thanks for sharing. I've occasionally broken my
                            vector "rule" and created a logo in a 3d or image editing application--but I
                            have sometimes come to regret doing so afterwards... Most of my clients are
                            small to medium businesses, and vector logos can be easily altered for use
                            at any size (phone book to billboard) in any medium/color space with very
                            little expense/effort.
                            -Tom Unger

• 11. Re: FIREWORKS V. PHOTOSHOP
                              Level 1
                              Hey, abeall,

Pretty darn cool info about Firefox logo is a product of FW. Awesome! It is nice to know that now. I often wonder about that design, because I really like that logo design.

quote:

Originally posted by: abeall
                              Agreed, although FW is a nice place to build web logos. The FireFox logo is a product of Fireworks(interesting they are fire, hadn't thought of that):

http://www.hicksdesign.co.uk/journal/branding-firefox