8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2007 7:50 PM by Janey_Mac

County Map

Maphelp
      I have created a map of a state that has the counties in it. Now each county is a different image that I have chaned to a button. The problem i am having is that when I rollover one county the image itself is not the only thing that changes color. I used the polygon slice tool to go around the edges on the counties but when I scroll into the county a whole square changes color not the area i used the polygon tool on.
        • 1. Re: County Map
          HeadNClouds
          Did you use the polygon HOTSPOT tool to draw the area that is moused over? The hotspot tool defines the area that is moused over and the slice tool defines the area that changes.

For example, if I have a photo of an elephant and when the user mouses over the different parts (trunk, ears, tail) the name of the part shows up above the elephant. So I would use the hotspot tool to define the areas of the elephant that will be moused over (the trunk, the ears, the tail), and I would use the slice tool to define the area where the word would show up (a small square directly above the elephant).

I would most likely have just one slice, where the words would all appear. Each word would be in the exact same location on a separate frame, so I would define:

when user rolls over the trunk, show frame 2 in the slice

when user rolls over the ears, show frame 3 in the slice

when user rolls over the tail, show frame 4 in the slice
          • 2. Re: County Map
            Janey_Mac
            I think my problem is similar to this.
            I am trying to make a map of the states. Each state is supposed to change color on mouseover & also display a message elsewhere on the page. I used the polygon hotspot tool to make hotspots over the individual states, and then used gifs of the state (with transparent edges) to be the image that is shown on rollover. It looked great when I did the first state, but when I added the second state, the rollover image is messed up. (you can see here - click on Louisiana) link to test fileThe problem is obviously that my gifs overlap. Does anyone know how I can make this map successfully?
            Thanks for any help!
            • 3. Re: County Map
              Level 7
              Janey,
              save yourself some pain.

http://www.maps4.com/samples/north_america_map_sample.html

Peter
              | I am trying to make a map of the states. Each state is supposed to change
              | color on mouseover & also display a message elsewhere on the page. I used
              the
              | polygon hotspot tool to make hotspots over the individual states, and then
              used
              | gifs of the state (with transparent edges) to be the image that is shown
              on
              | rollover. It looked great when I did the first state, but when I added the
              | second state, the rollover image is messed up. (you can see here - click
              on
              | Louisiana) http://www.teknanny.com/testing/test.htmlThe problem is
              obviously
              | that my gifs overlap. Does anyone know how I can make this map
              successfully?
              | Thanks for any help!
              |

• 4. Re: County Map
                Janey_Mac Level 1
                Thanks for the tip Peter. If I can't work it out I may try this option. I was really hoping not to have to use flash though. I would prefer not to have to have the whole "click to activate & use this control" thing going on.

Anyone else have any ideas?
                • 5. County Map
                  Janey_Mac Level 1
                  I think I may have worked this out.
                  I need to create another frame.
                  So first I export my hotspot of Mississippi (right click - export selected slice) which then gets exported to three gifs (on account of the fact that I now have loads of slices that go to make up my hotspot), I then change the three gifs to the darker rollover color. I go back to my original map.png and create a new frame. I 'file', 'import' my darker gifs one at a time and position them onto the map in the correct place over Mississippi. I go back to my original hotspot over Mississippi and right click & 'add swap image behaviour'. In the 'show the swapped image from' box, I choose 'frame no;' and pick the number of the new frame that I put the three gifs into.
                  I did a rough draft & it seems like this will work. The only problem is that I will have a whole boat load of slices, gifs and frames by the time I am finished. Does anyone know if this is a problem?
                  • 6. Re: County Map
                    Level 7
                    Janey_Mac wrote:

> I did a rouch draft & it seems like this will work. The only problem is that I
                    > will have a whole boat load of slices, gifs and frames by the time I am
                    > finished. Does anyone know if this is a problem?

It's a problem because the resulting file size will be too large to use
                    on a Web page. You really should be using Flash to do this.

--
                    Linda Rathgeber [PVII] *Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks*
                    --------------------------------------------------------------
                    http://www.projectseven.com
                    Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
                    CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
                    http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/
                    --------------------------------------------------------------
                    • 7. Re: County Map
                      Level 7
                      If you are using Dreamweaver it will insert a small bit of JavaScript to get
                      round the "click to activate blah blah..."

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/activecontent/articles/devletter.html

Peter
                      was
                      | really hoping not to have to use flash though. I would prefer not to have
                      to
                      | have the whole "click to activate & use this control" thing going on.
                      |
                      | Anyone else have any ideas?
                      |

• 8. Re: County Map
                        Janey_Mac Level 1
                        Thank you Peter and Linda,

Flash it is
                        :)