9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2007 9:18 AM by Newsgroup_User

    Nav bar problems

    toreddie
      Used Fireworks MX 2004 to develop a Nav Bar with buttons that have up, over, down and over while down states. When testing in Preview in FW, every button and every state seemed to work perfectly. Exported the .png file to Dreamweaver MX 2004 to incorporate in a website I'm working on. The export and the placement in a left side column in a template also seemed fine. Creating an index file also fine. However, the problems became evident when I viewed the index file in IE7. One button seemed to only maintain its up state. A different button seemed to be missing, only showing a place holder.

      I'm a novice to website development and have spent several hours trying to solve these two problems. However, I'm not experienced enough to know where to look, and searching through and comparing has not helped me getting any closer to solving this.

      If anyone can give me some advise, it'll be greatly appreciated. I'd be willing to send my .png file if someone is willing to take a look at it.

      toreddie
        • 1. Re: Nav bar problems
          Level 1
          toreddie,

          Please note that Fireworks is an image or graphic editing application, while Dreamweaver is a HTML editing application.

          So ideally, you produce a better nav bars in Dreamweaver as opposed in Fireworks. That is to say, the html-generated file created in Fireworks is rather done not properly coded. Some might assume that it is the case.

          You can create a new, better nav bars in Dreamweaver, which is far better off than Fireworks itself. Please bear that in your mind, that Fireworks is ideally designed for web images or web graphics per se.

          If you need or require some help from participants or myself or others, post a link to webpage, where we can take a look at and see what the problem is. It varies from browsers to OS and things like that.

          As for PNG file itself, it has nothing to do with problem you are having with. In other words, it has a lot to do with how html-generated code created in FW present a real, real problem for browser or viewing it in Dreamweaver.

          Hope that helps, no?

          quote:

          Originally posted by: toreddie
          Used Fireworks MX 2004 to develop a Nav Bar with buttons that have up, over, down and over while down states. When testing in Preview in FW, every button and every state seemed to work perfectly. Exported the .png file to Dreamweaver MX 2004 to incorporate in a website I'm working on. The export and the placement in a left side column in a template also seemed fine. Creating an index file also fine. However, the problems became evident when I viewed the index file in IE7. One button seemed to only maintain its up state. A different button seemed to be missing, only showing a place holder.

          I'm a novice to website development and have spent several hours trying to solve these two problems. However, I'm not experienced enough to know where to look, and searching through and comparing has not helped me getting any closer to solving this.

          If anyone can give me some advise, it'll be greatly appreciated. I'd be willing to send my .png file if someone is willing to take a look at it.

          toreddie


          • 2. Nav bar problems
            Level 1
            toreddie,

            As for your quoted statement, "I'm a novice to website development and have spent several hours trying to solve these two problems. However, I'm not experienced enough to know where to look, and searching through and comparing has not helped me getting any closer to solving this."

            Perhaps that it is an ideal time for you to roll up your sheeves and get both of your hands dirty under the hood of HTML/CSS. The more you get both of your hands dirty and the more hands-on experience, as time go, the more comfort zone you eventually be felt working with HTML and around HTML. As your experience and understanding working with HTML challenges, the more experience and understanding, perhaps intitution in your guts led you to troubleshoot and locate some problem on your own.

            All in all, it takes lot of effort, time and patience... along with three factors: effort, time and patienence equals practice. It also takes lot of practice, practice and practice. Then bam, you become more skilled html coder in time.

            Hopefully that helps too. I am sure that some other participants and world-class Dreamweaver experts offer their tips or suggestions. Good luck! :)
            • 3. Re: Nav bar problems
              toreddie Level 1
              Deaf Web Designer,
              Thank you for your valuable advise and encouraging words. I will explore reduing my nav bar in Dreamweaver. As for access to look at the bar, the website is not "live" yet.

              Hopefully there are other comments and advise to come. This is a learning experience and I'm in for the long haul.

              Tor-Eddie
              • 4. Re: Nav bar problems
                Level 7
                Deaf Web Designer wrote:


                > As for PNG file itself, it has nothing to do with problem you are having with.
                > In other words, it has a lot to do with how html-generated code created in FW
                > present a real, real problem for browser or viewing it in Dreamweaver.

                If you know what you are doing, there's no difference in the HTML code
                generated by Fireworks and Dreamweaver.

                --
                Linda Rathgeber [PVII] *Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks*
                --------------------------------------------------------------
                http://www.projectseven.com
                Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
                CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
                http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/
                --------------------------------------------------------------
                • 5. Re: Nav bar problems
                  Level 7
                  toreddie wrote:


                  > If anyone can give me some advise, it'll be greatly appreciated. I'd be
                  > willing to send my .png file if someone is willing to take a look at it.

                  Can you post a link to the Web page?

                  --
                  Linda Rathgeber [PVII] *Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks*
                  --------------------------------------------------------------
                  http://www.projectseven.com
                  Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
                  CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
                  http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/
                  --------------------------------------------------------------
                  • 6. Nav bar problems
                    Level 1
                    Hi Tor-Eddie,

                    Here is a discussion about pitfuls of Fireworks creating some HTML-generated code at Dreamweaver. Thought that you might wanted to take a look at it.

                    Have a look at. ====> Dreamweaver forum disucssion topic: Page layout dilemma <====
                    • 7. Re: Nav bar problems
                      Level 7
                      Deaf Web Designer wrote:

                      > Hi Tor-Eddie,
                      >
                      > Here is a discussion about pitfuls of Fireworks creating some HTML-generated
                      > code at Dreamweaver. Thought that you might wanted to take a look at it.

                      The discussion is about creating whole pages in Fireworks rather than
                      importing a navbar created in Fireworks. As I posted earlier, there is
                      no difference in the markup between a navbar created in Fireworks and
                      one created in Dreamweaver, as long as the person doing it knows how.

                      --
                      Linda Rathgeber [PVII] *Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks*
                      --------------------------------------------------------------
                      http://www.projectseven.com
                      Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
                      CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
                      http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/
                      --------------------------------------------------------------
                      • 8. Re: Nav bar problems
                        Level 1
                        Hi Linda,

                        I only want to help Tor-Eddie, and I see nothing wrong with that. As for the reference to DW forum disccusion, I only want make the OP aware of other side of issue on different angle. The more information, the better informed OP eventually be felt, the better decision and workflow on his end, rather than being stuck and struggling endlessly.

                        I am sorry to see that you think differently than I am, no?

                        Have a good one!
                        • 9. Re: Nav bar problems
                          Level 7
                          Deaf Web Designer wrote:

                          > Hi Linda,
                          >
                          > I only want to help Tor-Eddie, and I see nothing wrong with that. As for the
                          > reference to DW forum disccusion, I only want make the OP aware of other side
                          > of issue on different angle. The more information, the better informed OP
                          > eventually be felt, the better decision and workflow on his end, rather than
                          > being stuck and struggling endlessly.
                          >
                          > I am sorry to see that you think differently than I am, no?

                          I don't mean to discourage you, Deaf Web Designer. I'm just trying to
                          keep disinformation to a minimum. The fact is, there's nothing wrong
                          with FW HTML. It's just that tables and JavaScript are out of fashion in
                          some circles. There are better ways to produce a web page, of course.
                          Since it's not usually possible for a newbie to learn HTMl and CSS
                          positioning for their first web site, FW HTML is a pretty good temporary
                          solution.

                          Linda
                          -------