6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 6, 2015 6:14 AM by Daniel_Peterson

Adjusting and matching time lapse exposure changes? (without deleting photo's)

Daniel_Peterson Level 1

Ok I am fairly sure there is no way around this but to do it manually... but just in case someone else knows a better way...

What's the best way to compensate for exposure changes captured during a long time lapse? (without deleting any images) (eg. a full day time lapse taken on a cloudy/sunny day)

Here's some more details...

I recently set up a 6hr indoor stadium time lapse during a cloudy/sunny day. All the settings were set to manual so that shutter (for motion blur), ISO, aperture (for depth of field) and white balance were consistent. I shot it in raw and it looks good... BUT every time the sun is covered by a cloud the exposure drops way down causing an overall 'exposure flicker' type effect when you put it all together.

So after searching for a while, I ended up manually adjusting over 1000 photo's, tweaking the exposure and eyeballing the histogram to be consistent (as 'Match total Exposures' didn't work in this manual mode instance). The result is 10x better, BUT I would love to be able to automate this process somehow as it would save me hours upon hours... any ideas? Any simpler ways?

The only automated solution I can think of at the moment is to set the camera to shutter priority in the future, but I'm not sure if the aperture / depth of field changes would cause problems when doing this.

Thanks for any ideas! I'm always learning and appreciate any input!