1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 25, 2015 9:44 AM by dj_paige

Migration Question

FordManG4

I am in the painful process of migrating of a library of about 35,000 photos from Aperture to Lightroom.

I have a folder with 155 photos in it.

In the Folders tab on the left side of Lightroom, LR says this folder has 161 photos. (This is accurate since there are a few photos with multiple versions).

I am trying to add three photos to this folder. I can't make it work. No matter what method of adding I choose, LR puts these three files in a new folder with the same name at the top of my folder hierarchy and I can't combine the two. When I try to drag the three files from one folder to another, it says they're already there.

Three other clues here.

First, I made the migration on my laptop. I then copied the Pictures->Lightroom folder from my laptop to my desktop. (I thought about the Update Folder Location option, but Lightroom seemed to know about it already, I didn't have to do it. Both drives have the same structure)

Second, I've run Library->Find All Missing Photos and it reveals no missing photos.

Third, when I click on the folder I'm trying to add to and choose Synchronize Folder…, it says it's going to import 155 new photos. If I allow it to do this, it overwrites all changes and metadata. (That's bad)  (On further checking, ALL folders say this - that is, new files to import)

Can anyone help me show Lightroom that the photos it's showing me are real and don't need to be reimported?

If I do use the Update Folder Location on the root of my photo structure, I get a dialog that says "The selected folder or one of its subfolders is already in Lightroom. Do you want to combine these folders?"  If I do this, will it duplicate my Library?  Or will this solve all my problems? 

One last question. Looking at the metadata for a photo in the default view, it says Metadata Status: Has been changed. If I click on the icon to the right of that, Lightroom offers to "Save changes to disk."  Will it write those changes to my photo?  Would Lightroom modify a photo file? (JPG, CR2, NEF, DNG, etc.)  I thought these files were sacred and never modified by Lightroom?

I would be very grateful for any light shed on these two issues. I've been working for weeks on this and am now very frustrated with it.

• 1. Re: Migration Question
          dj_paige Level 9

Can anyone help me show Lightroom that the photos it's showing me are real and don't need to be reimported?

If I do use the Update Folder Location on the root of my photo structure, I get a dialog that says "The selected folder or one of its subfolders is already in Lightroom. Do you want to combine these folders?"  If I do this, will it duplicate my Library?  Or will this solve all my problems? 

If you can't find photos that have already been imported, then follow all of these four steps, in order

1. In the Lightroom Library Module, go to the catalog panel on the left and click on "All Photographs"
          2. Turn off all stacking (Photo->Stacking->Expand All Stacks)
          3. Turn off all filters (Cmd-L once or twice)
          4. Search for one of these photos by file name using the Lightroom Filter Bar

The message "Do you want to combine these folders" in my experience is benign, and probably is what you want to do. It does not duplicate anything.