18 Replies Latest reply on Mar 25, 2015 12:03 PM by Szalam

Fading in an effect

drennan Level 1

Hey all,

I'm quite new to AE and have a basic question. I'm using some third party plugins and once I add an effect to a layer, the default plugin settings are applied. Is there a way to fade the effect in as a whole rather than changing all the settings to zero and using keyframes to bring them all in individually? I've looked on Google but am struggling to word my search to get relevant results.

thanks

• 1. Re: Fading in an effect
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

Ain't no way around using keyframes.  But you CAN dupicate the layer, apply the effect to the upper layer, and animate the upper layer's opacity from 0 - 100%.

And do yourself a REALLY BIG favor:  don;'t try to learn AE just by fooling with it.  It's too confusing.  Get a step-by-step introduction to the basics, presented by the pros:

Getting started with After Effects (CS4, CS5, CS5.5,  CS6, & CC)

AE becomes a whole lot less painful to learn when you take a systematic approach.

• 2. Re: Fading in an effect
            Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What plugin?

You could animate the opacity of the layer with the effect.

• 3. Re: Fading in an effect
              drennan Level 1

I didn't think of using a duplicate layer. That should work, unless some of the layer behind shows through the anti-aliasing. I've had that happen in Photoshop sometimes so was wondering if there was a way to put the effect on its own layer and 'link' it to the text I'm applying it to, then fade the effects layer in? Yes I will have a look at those tutorials. I learnt Photoshop by fumbling around and it took me years to master it! Thanks

• 4. Re: Fading in an effect
                drennan Level 1

It's Trapcode Shine. Even when I zero all the settings it seems to be affecting the colour of the text layer I'm applying it to.

• 5. Re: Fading in an effect
                  A. Cobb Level 3

In AE CC 2014 every effect has a "Compositing Options" property group, and that group has an "Effect Opacity" property that you can use to fade in/out the effect.  No layer duplication should be necessary.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Fading in an effect

Animate the Shine Opacity in the effect's controls.

• 7. Re: Fading in an effect
                      Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

With shine either duplicate the layer or add shine to an adjustment layer. The success of using an adjustment layer depends on your comp layout.  If you are using cc 2014 you can also control an effect with a mask. You can simply animate the effect mask opacity.

• 8. Re: Fading in an effect
                        drennan Level 1

That seems to make the whole text layer transparent

• 9. Re: Fading in an effect
                          drennan Level 1

I'm using CS6 unfortunately

• 10. Re: Fading in an effect

Well, it depends on the other settings in the effect. I almost always have the effect's transfer mode set to Add. However, there are often multiple ways to do things in AE, and others have offered useful suggestions.

• 11. Re: Fading in an effect
                              drennan Level 1

Adding shine to the adjustment layer works in terms of controlling opacity but it seems to apply the effect to the whole composition area rather than the text. Do I need to link the adjustment layer to the text somehow?

• 12. Re: Fading in an effect
                                drennan Level 1

Yes that seems to work, but it changes the look of the effect. I was hoping to "blind out" the text with rays of light

• 13. Re: Fading in an effect
                                  drennan Level 1

Actually, bringing down the source opacity with transfer mode set to "add" creates the effect I'm looking for. I'll go with that for now. Would be useful to know how to do this with other effects though. Maybe the best option is to duplicate the layer for now, or until I get AE CC.

• 14. Re: Fading in an effect
                                    Dave LaRonde Level 6

No, if you insist on trying to use AE intuitively -- always a bad choice -- you need to look at the Trapcode Shine tutorials on the Red Giant web site.  You'll learn a lot more from then than with a barrage of questions here.

• 15. Re: Fading in an effect
                                      drennan Level 1

Thanks Dave, I agree. This is for a 5 second intro before a video so I was just looking for a quick fix. I've got some Lynda tutorials on AE and will definitely go through them soon as well as the Red Giant ones. I realise it must be boring/annoying for experts to be answering basic questions! Thanks for your help guys.

• 16. Re: Fading in an effect

drennan wrote:

I realise it must be boring/annoying for experts to be answering basic questions!

It's not annoying to answer basic questions. It's just a bit difficult at times because beginners often don't know the right words to say to communicate what they're asking. AE has its own terminology and way of doing things and sometimes what beginners think is a simple question, isn't because they haven't shared the right information or they've used the wrong words.

What is annoying is people who can't be bothered to use proper grammar or spelling demanding our help "now!" on something they could have found with a cursory glance at Google.

On the other hand, you've been polite and had proper spelling, so we like people like you. Dave is just trying to emphasize how important it is to get a foundation before you run ahead and frustrate yourself.

• 17. Re: Fading in an effect
                                          drennan Level 1

Haha, cool Yeah I couldn't find out from Google because of the terms thing so I came here. I'm looking forward to learning the basics as AE looks pretty awesome.

• 18. Re: Fading in an effect

Welcome to AE! It is pretty awesome, although, it is likely to take you quite a while before you'll be able to build anything awesome on your own in it. It's way more complicated than Photoshop or Premiere. (Although, less than Cinema 4D and WAY less than Maya.)