4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2015 9:24 AM by matts59717597

How do I sign a document in Adobe Reader w/electronic signature?

matts59717597

I'm trying to sign a tax form, its unclear from the Reader doc how to create a signature for use on the document.

• 1. Re: How do I sign a document in Adobe Reader w/electronic signature?
          Steven.Madwin Adobe Employee

Hi Matt,

What version of Reader are you using?

Steve

• 2. Re: How do I sign a document in Adobe Reader w/electronic signature?
            matts59717597 Level 1

Thanks Steve. Its Adobe reader XI, 11.0.10

• 3. Re: How do I sign a document in Adobe Reader w/electronic signature?
              Steven.Madwin Adobe Employee

Hi Matt,

Starting with the form you want to sign opened in Reader, select the Fill & Sign tool on the right side of the toolbar. This will open the right hand Fill & Sign panel. Next, open (expand) the Fill & Sign Tools pane.

There are three possible scenarios from this point...

1. The Place Signature tool is disabled (grayed out). This would be because the security setting on the file do not allow for changes.
              2. The Place Signature tool is enabled, but when you select it and get the Place Signature dialog, the only option available is Use a certificate. This is because the document contains an existing signature field and the assumption is the document author requires a secure digital signature as opposed to electronic signature.
              3. The Place Signature tool is enabled,and all of the radio buttons are enable on the Place Signature dialog.

Depending on which of the three scenarios you encounter drive what you can do next. Obviously with scenario 1 there is nothing else to do. With scenario 2 you have to have access to a valid digital ID to create a digital signature. With scenario 3 you have the option of creating either a digital signature using your digital ID, or you can create an electronic signature by placing a mark on the document. That mark can be your typed name, a signature you create with a mouse, or a scanned image of your wet-ink signature.

If you need to create a digital signature, then you need to have access to a digital ID. There are two options for procuring a digital ID; either you can buy one from a trusted Certificate Authority (CA) who will vet your identity, or, you can have Reader generated an untrusted digital ID for free. What you select to do depends on what the second party (you're the first party, the document recipient is the second party, and if a CA is involved they are the third party) requires, or more precisely, what agreement you and other party come to.

I hope this helps get your started.

Steve

• 4. Re: How do I sign a document in Adobe Reader w/electronic signature?
                matts59717597 Level 1

Thanks Steve, that explains it. The signatures are all greyed out. I guess I can only print and sign. 

Really appreciate the help!

Matt