3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2015 8:11 AM by A.T. Romano

I upgraded my computer to 64bit.  How can I transfer my Premiere Elements 8.0 (32bit) to new computer?

jaym97353100

In October 2014, I purchased Adobe Premier Elements 8.0 (and the APE Templates 8.0) for my work computer (32bit Windows 7).  Now they gave me a new computer which is 64bit (Windows 7).  How can I get my Premier Elements program back on my new computer without having to purchase it all over again?  I only had the program for a couple of months before they upgraded my computer  to a 64bit  I submitted my question through "Adobe Chat" and they said they couldn't help and I would need to check the forums.  Thanks to anyone who can help!   Jay

[Moved from Premiere PRO forum to Premiere Elements... Mod]

• 1. Re: I upgraded my computer to 64bit.  How can I transfer my Premiere Elements 8.0 (32bit) to new computer?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

jaym

What did you have for installation...

a. installation files from a purchased download from Adobe

or

b. installation disc from boxed packaging of the product?

If you have an installation disc, then insert the disc into the burner tray and follow the instructions for the installation

that present sequentially. Remember that Premiere Elements 8 on Windows 7 64 bit is still going to be a 32 bit application.

It will be running in the 32 bit compatibility mode of the 64 bit computer and the 32 bit limitations would apply. But Premiere Elements

8 will install on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit but not as a 64 bit application.

Now if you purchased an download, those downloads are typically specific to the operating system to which it was downloaded.

Whether or not installation files downloaded to a 32 bit computer will work on 64 bit computer is questionable. Best advice is to

try it. You will get an immediate message from the computer and program if it is a no go.

Please review and let us know the outcome.

Any questions or need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

Add On...Premiere Elements Windows is a 64 bit application only when it is version 10, 11, 12, or 13 run specifically on

Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit computer.

• 2. Re: I upgraded my computer to 64bit.  How can I transfer my Premiere Elements 8.0 (32bit) to new computer?
            jaym97353100 Level 1

Thanks for taking the time to respond.  My department purchased and installed the program for me though my work's IT site as per an agreement our company has with Adobe, so it's a licensed 32bit program.  We only have the 32 bit program available through the company and it won't re-install once it notices that my new computer is a 64 bit.  I copied the program files from my old computer to my new computer but it still wont run.  With this new info, do you have any other ideas that could work?  Thanks, Jay

• 3. Re: I upgraded my computer to 64bit.  How can I transfer my Premiere Elements 8.0 (32bit) to new computer?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

jaym

Premiere Elements is installed from Adobe installation files specific to the computer operating system or installation disc. I have not heard of installation from Program Files (files already installed to computer during an installation) from one computer to another.

You need installation files that you can download to your 64 bit computer or a disc for installation of Premiere Elements 8. And, that looks like purchase...

a. Adobe no longer sells Premiere Elements 8, download or other...current version 13/13.1.

b. Problems associated with finding Premiere Elements 8 in stock at an authorized reseller

Have you consulted with your IT department about any agreements it has with Adobe for situations such as these, that is, computer upgrades?

Also, often there are problems associated with installing Premiere Elements on computer in a company network due

to the network's security.

Please consider.

ATR