10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 25, 2015 5:11 PM by redbourn

Best way to publish?

redbourn Level 1

Just checked out book publishing with Amazon.

Amazon wants 70% and the US government wants 30%

Any ideas on the best way to go?

Thanks,

Michael

entrepreneur.jpg

• 1. Re: Best way to publish?
          Derek Cross Level 6

Depending on the price of the book, for lower price books, Amazon pays you a royalty of 70%. You pay tax on that.

Amazon.com : Take Control with Self Publishing

• 2. Re: Best way to publish?
            redbourn Level 1

Thanks.

Can you recommend a better way to go than Amazon?

A cookbook with color photos.

Michael

• 3. Re: Best way to publish?
              Derek Cross Level 6

I haven't got the evidence to hand but it is claimed that something like 75% of digital books are sold through Amazon. When you state "better" what do you mean?

Are you producing your cookbook for friends or as a commercial enterprise, if so remember there are tens of thousands of digital cookbooks out there. Is it worth producing another?

• 4. Re: Best way to publish?
                redbourn Level 1

My cookbook is very different.

It's entitled, Tips, Tricks & Substitutes.

It will have around 25 tasty and easy to make recipes but its focus is on what to use if you don't have the right ingredients, and on how to simply do things that many people find difficult.

I'm not looking for fame and fortune but don't want to get ripped off either.

I intend it for a big audience. I have close to 1000 Facebook friends and many already want to buy it because I post recipes and pictures.

Ayn Rand divided people into creators and second-handers, with the latter living like parasites off of the former.

• 5. Re: Best way to publish?
                  Sandee Cohen Adobe Community Professional

Or the many choices. What does "best way to publish" mean?

If you want the format that the most people in the world can use for their devices, Amazon's mobi format is the winner. You've got all those Kindles and then all the Amazon applications to read Kindle books on iPads, Macs, Android, PCs, and more.

Ordinary ePubs are available from the iBookstore.

If you want the format that will maintain the most intricate of layouts, fixed-layout ePub is the best choice. Ordinary ePub will rip most cookbook layouts to shreds. Unfortunately it's a much more limited reach for places to read. Mostly iBooks, Kobol, and Adobe Digital Editions. Hardly the right market for the masses. You can sell FXL in the iBookstore.

If you want a format that can be read almost everywhere in the world, PDF. You won't get all the bells and whistles available in ePubs. And many tablets will limit the interactivity you might want to put in the PDF. But it most certainly is the most ubiquitous.

But PDF has limited places where you can sell. And the DRM to keep people from pirating the book can be massively expensive.

But it should give you some pause that my publisher sells digital books as Mobi, ePub, and PDF digital bundles. Rather than figure out the "best" format, they sell 'em all.

Given how easy it is to export different digital formats from ID, that's the way I would go.

• 6. Re: Best way to publish?

BTW the best way to turn people off from helping you is to quote Ayn Rand

• 7. Re: Best way to publish?
                      Derek Cross Level 6

There you are Redbourn a summary of the formats and issues from the master - or should that be mistress!

Bear in mind though, producing these different types of digital books is not intuitive.

• 8. Re: Best way to publish?

Derek,

Thanks for the kind words. But you know it is very easy to produce these books with my book Digital Publishing with Adobe InDesign CC by Sandee Cohen and Diane Burns. :-)))

• 9. Re: Best way to publish?
                          Derek Cross Level 6

Yes - I recommended it to someone on here a  few posts ago?

• 10. Re: Best way to publish?
                            redbourn Level 1

I worked on movies for 35 years and believe her to be correct about agents etc.

Greenspan said that his biggest mistake was in not following her 100%c

Don't want to turn this into a political discussion though  ;-)

http://www.noblesoul.com/orc/bio/turbulence.html