10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2015 9:18 PM by A.T. Romano

Everytime I try to open my project, it says it is damaged and cannot be opened? Why? How can this be fixed?

emerickd10

Everytime I try to open my project, it says it is damaged and cannot be opened? Why? How can this be fixed?

• 1. Re: Everytime I try to open my project, it says it is damaged and cannot be opened? Why? How can this be fixed?
          Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

When you say "project," are you using Photoshop Elements?

If you mean Premiere Elements, try an autosave or backup copy.

• 2. Re: Everytime I try to open my project, it says it is damaged and cannot be opened? Why? How can this be fixed?
            emerickd10 Level 1

Yes, my project in premiere elements. My autosave copy does open but unfortunately is from previous hours of work. Looking to retrieve my most recent copy. I saved every ten or so minutes. Any idea why the notification "The project appears to be damaged, it cannot be opened." What is a backup copy? How could this have happened? Thanks!

• 3. Re: Everytime I try to open my project, it says it is damaged and cannot be opened? Why? How can this be fixed?

emerickd10 wrote:

" What is a backup copy?

As you make changes to a project, you  "Save as ......" so that you have intermediate versions as you go along.  You should also save a copy to your backup drive.

You do backup data, don't you?

Any idea why the notification "The project appears to be damaged, it cannot be opened." How could this have happened?

See here:

Troubleshoot a damaged project file | Adobe Premiere Elements

Note to mod:

Please move to the Premiere Elements forum.

• 4. Re: Everytime I try to open my project, it says it is damaged and cannot be opened? Why? How can this be fixed?
                Barbara B. Level 7

moving to the PRE forum, where you'll find more help with this

• 5. Re: Everytime I try to open my project, it says it is damaged and cannot be opened? Why? How can this be fixed?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

emerickd

Your thread is now in the Adobe Premiere Elements Forum.

At the onset...what version of Premiere Elements and on what computer operating system is it running?

Have you read through and worked through the Adobe damaged project document that Peru Bob has already given you?

Troubleshoot a damaged project file | Adobe Premiere Elements

At this time, can you open a new project whereas you cannot an existing project? How many existing projects do you have

that you cannot open?

One of the important mentions in the Adobe document relates to project's source media that has become disconnected from

the project. Have you moved, deleted, renamed any files or folders that were imported into the project after the project was

saved closed?

Let us start here and then , based on your answers, consider what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: Everytime I try to open my project, it says it is damaged and cannot be opened? Why? How can this be fixed?
                    emerickd10 Level 1

A. T. I appreciate the response! I am fairly new to all of this, so please bare with me. I have a Dell laptop with Windows 7. I am using Adobe premiere elements 12.

I am able to open a new project and I am able to open the latest auto-saved file, but I had done a lot since then so I'm looking to get back my latest version that I saved.

I have not moved or deleted any files/folders. Let me tell you what happened: I was working on my project with my laptop battery close to dying. I knew that the laptop would eventually hibernate when it ran out of battery, so every time I made an edit, I would save it. It eventually did turn off by itself, but I thought I would be OK since I had saved it. When I finally turned my laptop back on and tried to open the file in elements, it loads to 13% very quickly, and then reads "The project appears to be damaged, it cannot be opened." Do you think this could have caused the issue??

So, the program seems to be working fine even with the files because the auto-save project will open and a new project will open - except opening my original project.

Let me know if you have any suggestions.

THANK YOU!!

• 7. Re: Everytime I try to open my project, it says it is damaged and cannot be opened? Why? How can this be fixed?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

emerickd

Thank you for that great description of your issue.

Just in case mention...did you try all of the AutoSaves just to be sure that you did not overlook a more current one in the group of AutoSaves?

Some ideas (some more likely than others, but...)

1. Make a copy of the project.prel (project file) for the project that will not open. Try to open the project from the copy with

and without the project.prel file's name changed.

2. Take a file that you know is in the project and move it from its hard drive save location where it was

when you first imported it into the project. Then try to open the project. The hope is that media disconnected from the project

will trigger the program to open to "Where is the file.........?" messages that you can skip through in order to get into the project or

use to reconnect the media that you moved and end with the project opening.

If you have the latest AutoSave of the group, how much is missing from it as compared to the original?

My concern about the above is that any further maneuvers may jeopardize what you already have salvaged.

ATR

• 8. Re: Everytime I try to open my project, it says it is damaged and cannot be opened? Why? How can this be fixed?
                        emerickd10 Level 1

A. T. - you are genius! I went through and opened each of the auto-saves. I didn't even bother to open them all before hand because I figured the one with the highest number was the most recent. There was one of them, (4th out of the 5) that was the closest to my original project!!! Only a few pieces missing...awesome!

Wonder why the auto-saves were kind of all over the place as far as their numbers and my progress? Oh well!!

I'm not even going to bother moving around any files of any sort - I'm happy with what the auto-save has for me. I appreciate that recommendation, though.

Do you have any recommendations on saving while I create projects to prevent this from happening again? The only thing that I do is "Save as..." under a file in my computers video folder.

Can I re-save this auto-save under a different name?

THANKS SO MUCH!!!

• 9. Re: Everytime I try to open my project, it says it is damaged and cannot be opened? Why? How can this be fixed?

emerickd10 wrote:

Certainly.  You can also change the location.

• 10. Re: Everytime I try to open my project, it says it is damaged and cannot be opened? Why? How can this be fixed?
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

emerickd

Wonderful news. Congratulations on your success. Great job.

You wrote

Wonder why the auto-saves were kind of all over the place as far as their numbers and my progress? Oh well!!

A few years ago I looked at the ordering of those AutoSaves, but could not find the thread. So, I decided to look at Premiere Elements

13/13.1 ordering of the AutoSaves.

My Edit Menu/Preferences/AutoSave settings were the following to speed things up

Automatically save every minute(s) = 1

Maximum Project Versions = 5

In the Adobe Premiere Elements AutoSave Folder were:

My new video project-1.prel  (first and the oldest)

My new video project-2.prel

My new video project-3.prel

My new video project-4.prel

My new video project-5.prel (last and the newest)

I am OK with the first 5 with the maximum project versions = 5, but.....

Since I have set for only 5 versions, where do the subsequent versions go every 1 minute since you continue to

see only the above file names in the Adobe Premiere Elements AutoSave Folder.

My new video project-1.prel

is now the 6th AutoSave and replaces the original first AutoSave.

My new video project-2 prel

is now the 7th AutoSave and replaces the original second Auto Save.

Since I did 7 AutoSaves, this is the last and the newest.

My new video project-3.prel is still the original third AutoSave.

My new video project-4.prel is still the original fourth AutoSave.

My new video project-5.prel is still the original fifth AutoSave.

So, after the generation of the 10 th AutoSave, all the original 5 AutoSave would be gone,

and the My new video project-5.prel would then again become the last and the newest)

As for the question about

Yes, but review the Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks for the locations of the scratch disc. If same as

project, then those scratch disc will end up in the folder with the AutoSave which has become your project.prel.

A battery failure was at the core of this situation. So you should be OK moving forward.

Best wishes

ATR