4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2007 11:35 AM by jpp007

Director or Flash

Datredigital
      I am currently putting together an interactive CD for my own direct-marketing campaign. I produce video and interactive CD's and DVD's for corporate and industrial clients. I own both programs but favor Director because I've been working in it longer; it's taking me some time to warm up to Flash. However, most of my demo video clips are now .flv's and I am wondering if I should just bite the bullet and create entirely in Flash now? Both publish to .exe but I'm not sure if one has an advantage over the other. On a side note, I author on a Windows system and have all kinds of hoops to jump through to create a Mac version (must burn master from a Mac, convert .hqx, separate Xtras, etc.). I don't know if this process is easier in Director or Flash? I also don't want to produce something in Director if it is going away in a year or two. I know word on the street is a new Director release in late 2007, but I feel like the interactive multimedia industry will be converting over to all-Flash by then.

Any feed back is greatly appreciated.
      Thank you.
        • 1. Re: Director or Flash
          Level 7
          There's no danger of Director going away. You're far better off
          producing the project in Director. You have much more control of a CD
          based project using Director than you do using Flash.

While flv files are a good solution when you want streaming video, all
          of those files will be local on the CD. The downside of using flvs in
          Director is that you will have to place them in an swf to play them
          through Director. Director doesn't support flvs.

--
          Rob
          _______
          Rob Dillon
          Adobe Community Expert
          http://www.ddg-designs.com
          412-243-9119

http://www.macromedia.com/software/trial/
          • 2. Re: Director or Flash
            Level 7
            If all you're doing is playing FLV's then it's probably better to just use
            Flash, IMO. There are no Xtras in Flash, so no worries with packaging and
            Flash will make a mac projector just as nicely as Director does. FWIW, you
            can use MacImage to burn a hybrid CD on Windows. It will take the .hqx and
            expand it properly when it burns the disk. Works a treat, I've been using it
            on some recent projects.

For some projects, I'd certainly pick one product over the other. But for
            many projects I don't find it matters to much. Use what works... And if
            there's any chance of going online, then the choice is obviously not
            Director.

--
            Dave -
            Head Developer
            www.blurredistinction.com
            Adobe Community Expert
            http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/

• 3. Re: Director or Flash
              Datredigital Level 1
              Thanks guys, I appreciate both of your perspectives. I had been wondering whether or not Flash deals with Xtra's at all, seemed Actionscript may take care of the whole cross-platform issue. Personally, I've been having a tough time crossing over from Director to Flash. But it is what most of my clients are asking for, whether they know what they're talking about or not. Director seems more visually intuitive. Flash is heavy into programming.

And thanks Dave on the "heads up" on MacImage. I actually went out and bought a Mac mini last year for the sole purpose of burning my Director projects (CD) masters. Thanks again for both of your insight.
              -Melissa
              • 4. Director or Flash
                jpp007
                I feel your pain. I just started learning Flash this week for some web-development. Not being a developer by trade, I do miss lingo sorely!!! But Flash is the way to go for a typical media web site for sure.

quote:

I feel like the interactive multimedia industry will be converting over to all-Flash by then.

I think it's more accurate to say the multimedia industry is already become all-internet. Adobe needs to position Director's purpose more clearly to the developers to define what role Director plays in relation to the internet distribution medium (aside from 3d games).

quote:

I actually went out and bought a Mac mini last year for the sole purpose of burning my Director projects (CD) masters.

That's funny, I'm buying an Intel mini so I can proof Windows applications! :-)