1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 5, 2007 8:20 AM by Newsgroup_User

Text, Gradients and Transparency in Fireworks

Aumgn
      Hello all,

I'll post this as a query, though - and I probably deserve it - many of you will just laugh and say 'impossible'! I'm certainly coming to that opinion myself.

I usually lay out my websites in Fireworks - a habit I've transferred over from using Photoshop to do everything - this means I mimic certain effects in Fireworks which I know I can rebuild in Dreamweaver with CSS, or what have you.

One effect I've been trying to achieve is the following: I've some relatively small text buttons(15-20px high) in a light gold colour that I want to sit against a gradient running from black (at the top) to a dark blue at the bottom. I should note that the buttons are just the text; they don't sit on top of a button. In Fireworks the anti-alised text looks nice and subtle, but when I output it to Dreamweaver (as a transparent gif) and rebuild the background using a CSS body tag to repeat my gradient across the x axis, the text looks messy and awful. I've tried to fiddle about with removing colours in Image Preview, but to no avail.

I suspect there's no straightforward solution, but I'm open to suggestions!
        • 1. Re: Text, Gradients and Transparency in Fireworks
          Level 7
          Links to the image would be helpful.

Jim Babbage

Aumgn wrote:
          > Hello all,
          >
          > I'll post this as a query, though - and I probably deserve it - many of you
          > will just laugh and say 'impossible'! I'm certainly coming to that opinion
          > myself.
          >
          > I usually lay out my websites in Fireworks - a habit I've transferred over
          > from using Photoshop to do everything - this means I mimic certain effects in
          > Fireworks which I know I can rebuild in Dreamweaver with CSS, or what have you.
          >
          > One effect I've been trying to achieve is the following: I've some relatively
          > small text buttons(15-20px high) in a light gold colour that I want to sit
          > against a gradient running from black (at the top) to a dark blue at the
          > bottom. I should note that the buttons are just the text; they don't sit on top
          > of a button. In Fireworks the anti-alised text looks nice and subtle, but when
          > I output it to Dreamweaver (as a transparent gif) and rebuild the background
          > using a CSS body tag to repeat my gradient across the x axis, the text looks
          > messy and awful. I've tried to fiddle about with removing colours in Image
          > Preview, but to no avail.
          >
          > I suspect there's no straightforward solution, but I'm open to suggestions!
          >