5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2015 11:23 AM by Dave LaRonde

    What is this effect called?


      FaZe: 3 Million Subscribers Teamtage Trailer by FaZe SLP - YouTube

      The effect at 1:49, where the screen goes through the F. Any specific name for that?


        • 1. Re: What is this effect called?
          lornaimw Level 1

          This could be something like bad tv or chromatic abberation

          Check this out



          Red Giant - Products Universe

          • 2. Re: What is this effect called?
            hufflefluffer Level 1

            Hello. I looked up the effects you mentioned and I think you misunderstood what I was asking (or maybe I just didn't to a good enough job explaining).


            The effect that I need the name for isn't the colorish change (which, as far as I can see, was what you mentioned) but the fact, that the entire screen moves backwards throughout the big F.


            I'm fairly new at After Effects, so I'm simply looking for keywords that can help me figure out the name(s) of this effect (if it's an effect afterall). However, a specific term, if such exist, would be incredible.



            • 3. Re: What is this effect called?
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

              No specific effect name.  It's a technique.


              If it was done in AE, it would have been done with a 3D layer with 0% opacity in the shape of the letter, which could have been accomplished in any number of ways.  The opacity would then have been increased to 100%, and you see only the letter.

              • 4. Re: What is this effect called?
                hufflefluffer Level 1

                Thank you for the reply!


                Do you know any keywords that I could use to search around the web for a method to do it?



                • 5. Re: What is this effect called?
                  Dave LaRonde Level 6

                  Keywords?  Why, I'll go you one better -- I'll give you a link, and it's one that every AE beginner should use.


                  Getting started with After Effects (CS4, CS5, CS5.5,  CS6, & CC)


                  AE is NOT the kind of application that lets you pick up a couple of tricks and you're good to go; there's just too much to know.  You have to know the basics.  People have tried to blow off the basics, and they've experienced nothing but frustration and defeat.


                  "Why didn't that tutorial work for me?  I did just what they said!"  Well, that's because they didn't say a LOT of things -- they assumed you'd know it already.


                  So do yourself a favor: learn from the pros.  Follow that link.  Ignore it at your peril.  Fight the temptation to cut right to the fun stuff.


                  Oh, and FYI -- if you DO choose to blow off the basics, avoid tutorials made by high school kids as you would avoid Ebola.  In AE terms, those geniuses can barely find their posteriors in the dark using both hands.  You'll learn lots of ways NOT to do things.