• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

TOC - Receiving a "Cannot find the file named" error when pressing Ctrl+alt

Explorer ,
Mar 26, 2015 Mar 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I generate a TOC, it comes out beautifully. However, when I press control + alt to check my links, I receive a "cannot find the file named" error message. This happens for the majority of the links. All of the files are present along with the graphics. Everything is in the same folder. They are saved on our network. However, I have packaged and copied the files to my desktop to see if that makes a difference. I am still receiving the same error message.

Has anyone seen this before? Any solutions in Adobe world? All help is appreciated.

Salome

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are they all open? Any “locked” files? (they look like xxx.lck in Explorer)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I closed all of the files and then updated the TOC and I still received the same error message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So close all the files first, then check for locked files; if none- open them all up & test your TOC again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried that and it still didn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m suspecting something is messed up in your Reference page for the TOC. Have you tried deleting it & regenerating one again?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mystery solved! Here's the lesson learned: avoid using & in your document titles. Also, for good measure I deleted all double spaces and replaced them with a dash. It solved everything!

Thank you for your input. I appreciate that you reached out to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

re: ... avoid using & in your document titles.

By that do you mean in your file names?

Also avoid using commas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. That's correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 27, 2015 Mar 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

>>> ... avoid using & in your document titles.

>> By that do you mean in your file names?

> Yes. That's correct.

That's not at all surprising. & is commonly found on lists of random "characters to avoid in directory and file names".

A comprehensive list of such characters might be impossible to assemble. Even though FM only runs on Windows these days, it could be in a VM on another OS (with its own restrictions, e.g. Mac), using a CMS (with its own restrictions) and working with virtual directories actually located on completely different operating systems (with their own restrictions, e.g. Unix, Linux/Samba, random cloud).

And then there are naming issues in the FM app itself (and other Adobe apps that might need to process the files, like Distiller), which apparently is the case for the comma problem (it may only pop up during render to PDF).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines