26 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2015 4:45 PM by Simon G E Garrett

... where is LR 6 ??? ...

pelewa

... where is LR 6 ??? ... I'm still waiting desperately ...

• 1. Re: ... where is LR 6 ??? ...
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

So are a lot of other people. It just goes to show you the you cannot depend on rumors. Adobe will release Lightroom when Adobe is ready. And until that time, the only people who know when that will be our people who are constrained by nondisclosure agreements. A lot of users anticipate that Lightroom 6 will be released soon. But the definition of "soon" is open to your personal interpretation.

• 2. Re: ... where is LR 6 ??? ...
            pelewa Level 1

... thank you for your answer ... you are probably right ... but I really can't understand why Adobe does'nt give us a certain release date ... so we are not depending on rumors any more ...

• 3. Re: ... where is LR 6 ??? ...
              Drugstore

You name it, thank you Jim. It depends on the bad information politic of Adobe that people have to depend on rumors! Where is the problem to say 3rd Quarter or whatever? That you get measured by it?  Every pro software development will have release plans. So just tell the paying customers.

• 4. Re: ... where is LR 6 ??? ...
                JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It's possible that they don't know the exact date. But the Adobe policy has always been to not announce release dates in advance. The only people who can answer why that is the policy are people who work for Adobe. It really isn't a question that's open for debate. Lightroom 6 will be released when Adobe is ready for it to be  released.

• 5. Re: ... where is LR 6 ??? ...
                  pelewa Level 1

... you say it ... we are paying customers ... it's annoying how Adobe is ignoring all the people waiting for LR 6 ... !! Adobe, please, give us some hope !! ...

• 6. Re: ... where is LR 6 ??? ...
                    ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I’m sure Adobe has been working on LR 6 many months if not years.  If Adobe software development works like other companies I’ve worked for, there are internal target dates but the schedule can slip depending on how long it actually takes to implement the planned features and figure out bugs that may not be obvious.

• 7. Re: ... where is LR 6 ??? ...
                      dj_paige Level 9

You have paid for a software license, you have not paid for a peek into the company's future plans.

Many companies do not disclose in advance. Adobe is not that unusual in that regard.

• 8. Re: ... where is LR 6 ??? ...
                        Tom Murray 1 Level 2

Maybe Adobe started this thread to generate more anticipation. ;)

• 9. Re: ... where is LR 6 ??? ...
                          pelewa Level 1

... good guess ... but unfortunately (or should I say fortunately) I'm not a member of the Adobe company ... I'm (on the whole) only a happy LR 5.7 user ... @dj_paige and @ssprengel: I know that I have no "right" to expect what rumors tell and I'm glad that Adobe is so accurate with the new outcoming LR 6 ... but a little bit more "customer service" wouldn't be such a bad idea ...

• 10. Re: ... where is LR 6 ??? ...
                            PhilBurness Level 1

Adobe used to release beta versions - with a disclaimer along the lines of "not our fault if things go badly", which is fine in my book. Do they still do that, can we expect it for LR6?

Phil

• 11. Re: ... where is LR 6 ??? ...

Adobe is a  publically traded company with a billion-dollar market capitalization, if they publically disclosed their schedule and then something happened, and they missed that date, it could be a reason for a stock analyst to downgrade their stock rating or people to complain in general and then Adobe’s stock price would go down and they’d have less money to do whatever it is they do with their resources and LR would come out even later or have less features, so Adobe and other companies in a similar situation don’t give out internal schedules. 

The rumored dates of March 6 and March 20 and the date of last October on the Best Buy inventory screen-capture may actually have been internal dates at some point but LR 6 obviously didn’t come out then so maybe Adobe cannot predict when it will actually come out and aren’t going to give out their current target date in case it changes again.   Who knows, they may be adding features to keep up with the competition or reacting to OS updates of current and future OS releases or maybe they just can’t get something to work right and are working on bugs or maybe a disc-production facility was damaged by a storm and they’re working on getting another one online.  It could be any number of things that have to be just right before LR 5 comes out.

• 12. Re: ... where is LR 6 ??? ...
                                dj_paige Level 9

Adobe used to release beta versions - with a disclaimer along the lines of "not our fault if things go badly", which is fine in my book. Do they still do that, can we expect it for LR6?

As with all other LR 6 questions, the answer is "No one knows".

• 13. Re: ... where is LR 6 ??? ...

Adobe hasn’t released a beta or release-candidate since LR Mobile was part of LR, so I almost think they won’t.  Releasing a beta or release candidate generates quite a few bugs and non-bugs that have to be logged and worked on and that delays things more.

• 14. Re: ... where is LR 6 ??? ...
                                    Keith_Reeder Level 4

pelewa wrote:

it's annoying how Adobe is ignoring all the people waiting for LR 6

Good grief...

Adobe owes us nothing with regard to keeping us in the loop with its future plans. Nothing whatsoever.

And pretty much every other provider of Raw conversion software operates on the same basis: in fact, on the Capture One forum, threads like this are explicitly banned.

They should be on this forum, too.

• 15. Re: ... where is LR 6 ??? ...
                                      JoeKostoss Level 4

pelewa wrote:

What is it that LR 5 does not do, and that you expect LR 6 to do, that makes this so desperate?

• 16. Re: ... where is LR 6 ??? ...
                                        BKKDon Level 4

JoeKostoss wrote:

pelewa wrote:

What is it that LR 5 does not do, and that you expect LR 6 to do, that makes this so desperate?

I agree as well I can't think of anything that Adobe have promised to include in v6 except that you cannot install it on a 32bit system.

Most software companies announce a new product when it is available for public release ...

• 17. Re: ... where is LR 6 ??? ...
                                          pelewa Level 1

Keith_Reeder schrieb:

Good grief...

Adobe owes us nothing with regard to keeping us in the loop with its future plans. Nothing whatsoever.

And pretty much every other provider of Raw conversion software operates on the same basis: in fact, on the Capture One forum, threads like this are explicitly banned.

They should be on this forum, too.

... just tell me ... why should it be banned to ask for information?? ... yes, Adobe owes us nothing but - think of it - where would Adobe be if nobody buys their software ... I think we depend on them and "they" depend on us ... you can call it "customer service" when Adobe gives us some information about LR 6 ...

@JoeKostoss: ... you are defenitely right ... it's silly and ridicolous to talk of "desperation" ... and you are right again: I'm perfectly content with LR 5.7 ... probably it's only a special kind of anticipation ... and the fact that I fell for the release rumors ...

• 18. Re: ... where is LR 6 ??? ...
                                            Keith_Reeder Level 4

pelewa wrote:

... just tell me ... why should it be banned to ask for information??

Because it's been asked a million times before (as you'd know if you'd searched the forum)?

Because these threads add no value (as you'd know if you'd searched the forum)?

Because the answer's always the same (as you'd know if you'd searched the forum)?

Because it should be obvious that for Adobe to commit publicly to delivery dates and publicise new content would be to court untold problems for them if they miss the deadline or fail to deliver the promised improvements?

Because it's a "commercial in confidence" matter that is nobody's business but Adobe's?

• 19. Re: ... where is LR 6 ??? ...
                                              pelewa Level 1

... I've searched the forum before ... "where is LR 6 ?" was asked the first time, as far as I know ... please, calm down ... I also will "sit down and wait" without grumbling around ...

• 20. Re: ... where is LR 6 ??? ...
                                                John.jcb Level 1

I would rather have LR6 when Adobe thinks it is ready for prime time rather than push something out that is not ready.

Who wants to wade through threads complaining about problems if they can be avoided.

• 21. Re: ... where is LR 6 ??? ...
                                                  Tom Murray 1 Level 2

The post release, avalanche of complaints is never avoided.

• 22. Re: ... where is LR 6 ??? ...
                                                    Simon G E Garrett Level 2

It would be nice if they'd tell us near-future releases; it's always more satisfying to look forward to a known date than to an unknown one, but it doesn't relly matter.  Microsoft generally heralds future releases months ahead, but most companies don't, which means rumours proliferate.  And the longer the wait, the more fevered the speculation. 

• 23. Re: ... where is LR 6 ??? ...
                                                      fundraised

Put yourself in Adobe's shoes for a moment.

You have been working on the next version of Lightroom for over a year. You have ironed out all the bugs that you know of, then Microsoft & Apple very kindly let you have developer coppies of their forthcoming OS update.

That creates another load of things to fix or modify, and on and on it goes.

Finding a time of mutual stability in your new release and a lull in OS development is not easy. It will come when everything is as stable as it possibly can be.

You would all be jumping up and down if Lightroom stopped working just because Apple released OS x 10.10.5 & Adobe hadn't tested it with that OS update.

If there was total stability in computer design and OS development, there wouldn't be the opportunity to develop faster and better software.

So be patient. It will get here when it's ready.

• 24. Re: ... where is LR 6 ??? ...

fundraised wrote:

Put yourself in Adobe's shoes for a moment.

You have been working on the next version of Lightroom for over a year. You have ironed out all the bugs that you know of, then Microsoft & Apple very kindly let you have developer coppies of their forthcoming OS update.

That creates another load of things to fix or modify, and on and on it goes.

Finding a time of mutual stability in your new release and a lull in OS development is not easy. It will come when everything is as stable as it possibly can be.

You would all be jumping up and down if Lightroom stopped working just because Apple released OS x 10.10.5 & Adobe hadn't tested it with that OS update.

If there was total stability in computer design and OS development, there wouldn't be the opportunity to develop faster and better software.

Quite true, but really no different from the position of many other software suppliers.  Some choose to announce details ahead of time, and put up with flak if they end up changing the dates because of last minute issues, some keep it secret.  Each choice has advantages and disadvantages. 

I wasn't criticising Adobe for their decision not to pre-announce, just saying that, from my point of view, I would prefer to know ahead. 

fundraised wrote:

So be patient.

Thanks for your advice!

fundraised wrote:

It will get here when it's ready.

Do you know something I don't?

• 25. Re: ... where is LR 6 ??? ...
                                                          fundraised Level 1

No I don't know anything that you guys don't know.

That was the point of writing what I did.

• 26. Re: ... where is LR 6 ??? ...

fundraised wrote:

No I don't know anything that you guys don't know.

That was the point of writing what I did.

You said that it will get here when it's ready.  LR5 had a few bugs on release that lead some wags to wittily suggest that it had been released before it was ready.  That was the point of writing what I did .