6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2015 7:22 AM by Travler88

Need help formatting a header

Travler88

I have a 500+ page document that has to be updated yearly.  I need to have a the text in a single text box inside the header appear right justified on odd numbered pages and left justified on even numbered pages.  I know this should not be hard, but I have wasted days searching the tutorials.  What am I missing?

• 1. Re: Need help formatting a header
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Use a paragraph style set to align away from spine.

• 2. Re: Need help formatting a header
            Travler88 Level 1

That doesn't solve my problem - unless there is something going on that I don't understand.  Here is the situation:  500+ pages and every year, I have to add and remove pages throughout the book.  As I add and remove them, the page numbers for individual pages move around.  I need something on my master pages that will keep the alignment of a particular text box so that the text will always be kept away from the spine.  Right now, I have to just let things flow and then go through every single page and correct it manually.  And since Murphy's law is absolute, as soon as I finish, someone will want to make a change to one of the first pages.

In my own defense, I did not set this particular dilemma up.  A young intern who no longer works for the company changed my layout a couple of years ago and now I'm stuck with it.

Thanks for any help! 

• 3. Re: Need help formatting a header

If you use a frame wide enough to hold the page number in the correct position on either the left or right edge, then make the paragraph style align away from spine, the number will move left and right automatically  as pages switch sides.

Try it.

• 4. Re: Need help formatting a header
                Travler88 Level 1

That is part of the problem - it's not the page number that I need aligned.  It is a header at the top of the page that has different text on each page.  This is an automotive service manual, and the header has the information for the individual vehicle - one page per vehicle.  The vehicles are listed alphabetically by manufacturer.  When I added the 2016 Buick Cascada, it threw everything from that point on (until the next addition) off.  How do I set up a text box in the master that I can add different text to on each page.  I originally had that header centered, but little miss know it all thought it would be prettier set away from the spine..... 

• 5. Re: Need help formatting a header

Doesn't matter what the text is. If the frame spans from the left margin to the right margin (or whatever other points you are using as the ends of the text in the header) and set the alignment away form the spine it will slide back and forth as the page side changes. It behaves as if you changed the alignment from left to right or right to left, but it happens automatically.

• 6. Re: Need help formatting a header
                    Travler88 Level 1

Hot damn!  Thanks!  I knew it would be a simple solution, but I was searching under "Justification" when I should have been looking at "Alignment!"  Thanks a bunch!