6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2015 7:27 AM by RikkFlohr

Why two forums for Lightroom (community powered & this one)?

EdwardJohnAllen Level 1

Hi

As a user trying to get the most effective answer to a range of Lightroom related issues over the years, I find it confusing and time consuming to try and figure out which forum to post my query into, (or even if I need to post to both, given that sometimes issues aren't answered at all!)

would't it just be more streamlined for everyone to merge these two platforms, so that expert and user knowledge is shared more evenly, making life simpler all around?

(Case in point: I'm now going to post this same issue to the other forum too, because its not clear who I need to address this issue too!)

• 1. Re: Why two forums for Lightroom (community powered & this one)?
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I believe the intent of having this forum as well as a beginner's forum was to separate out the questions according to the level of expertise of those asking the questions. But it doesn't seem to be working that way. This Lightroom forum seems to be where most questions are asked. So if you have questions, it's probably best to post here. It's also not a good idea to post in multiple forums because a responder may not see one or the other, and then answers can become confusing.

• 2. Re: Why two forums for Lightroom (community powered & this one)?
            99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It’s a good question and my own view is that the community powered forum is for feedback. I never participate over there but refer users who wish to request new features or make a bug report. Adobe employees will usually pick up those requests unless the topic is already under consideration.

Adobe staff members do drop in here from time to time, but there are also a lot of regular volunteers across the help communities. Some volunteers such as Steve participate in both places. And that’s the point. You are not addressing Adobe. This is a user to user forum. Adobe simply provides the means of communication. So getting an answer will depend on whether somebody is free and sees your question at the time they happen to be logged-in which will be influenced by international time differences.

Just to add to the confusion there is a sub forum of this community for feature requests but that doesn’t seem to have been used for around two years.

https://forums.adobe.com/community/lightroom/lightroom_feature_requests/content

• 3. Re: Why two forums for Lightroom (community powered & this one)?
              EdwardJohnAllen Level 1

Hmmm...

So Adobe has the undisputed market leading product (in Lightroom, never mind Photoshop), but yet there seems to be a lack of effort to provide a properly resourced "fit for purpose" platform for tech support of it?!

This is a great shame....

• 4. Re: Why two forums for Lightroom (community powered & this one)?
                JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Do you have a technical question that needs to be answered? If you do, then ask it. As I have indicated, we are all just users. You can make suggestions that Adobe staff might read if you have what you think is a better idea. But no one here has any authority to make changes to the forum platform. Many users are receiving answers to questions. But it seems pointless to continue this type of discussion because it doesn't really accomplish anything, in my opinion.

• 5. Re: Why two forums for Lightroom (community powered & this one)?
                  99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It’s always been an enigma that a commercial company such as Adobe can attract such an army of volunteers. But many are actively involved in Adobe education, publishing, training and accreditation. If you have any current version products, you can always start an on-line chat with an Adobe agent but many people prefer coming to the user community rather than using a call center. But you are not alone. Many users find it frustrating that they can’t just pick up the phone. As Jim says that’s outside of our control. We simply do our best to help. Thanks for the Like. Much appreciated.

• 6. Re: Why two forums for Lightroom (community powered & this one)?
                    RikkFlohr Adobe Community Professional

EdwardJohnAllen wrote:

Hi

I find it confusing and time consuming to try and figure out which forum to post my query into, (or even if I need to post to both, given that sometimes issues aren't answered at all!)

Edward,

If you have a new feature request or wish to add your voice to existing feature requests or if you have a demonstrable bug (repeatable with step-by-step instructions), you post it at the Get Satisfaction forum: Recently active topics in Photoshop Family about Photoshop Lightroom and not here on the User-to -User forum.

If you have a questions on how to? is this normal? can I do this? what is the best way to? etc. it can be posted either place. 

The biggest reasons posts go unanswered are:

The question is not understandable as presented

Not enough information is provided

The answer is available on the RH side of the page in the sidebar

Many of us routinely go through the posts daily looking for those with no answers. That doesn't mean they aren't reviewed.