5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2007 8:15 AM by Newsgroup_User

cut off letter

Level 7
      Hi,
      I am trying to crate a word using futurablack bt.
      When I set the letter P to italic the curved part of the P is cut off.
      Any ideas?
      thanks

• 1. Re: cut off letter
          Level 7
          On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 17:00:06 +0300, lawrie <lawrie@cuthis.co.uk> wrote:

> When I set the letter P to italic the curved part of the P is cut off.
          > Any ideas?

1) Bad font design,
          or
          2) Improper use of kerning or scaling options.

Try to fiddle with FW's kerning option, may be this will help.

--
          Ilya Razmanov
          http://photoshop.msk.ru - Photoshop plug-in filters
          • 2. Re: cut off letter
            Level 7
            Thanks Ilya
            The font is fine.
            It is intersting that Coreldraw will not allow this font to be italicised
            whereas FW will.
            Working on it :)
            lawrie

--

"Ilya Razmanov" <ilyich@ioc.ac.ru> wrote in message
            news:op.tmrn6edf6e3g07@toadie...
            : On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 17:00:06 +0300, lawrie <lawrie@cuthis.co.uk> wrote:
            :
            : > When I set the letter P to italic the curved part of the P is cut off.
            : > Any ideas?
            :
            : 1) Bad font design,
            : or
            : 2) Improper use of kerning or scaling options.
            :
            : Try to fiddle with FW's kerning option, may be this will help.
            :
            : --
            : Ilya Razmanov
            : http://photoshop.msk.ru - Photoshop plug-in filters

• 3. Re: cut off letter
              Level 7
              On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 18:36:23 +0300, lawrie <lawrie@cuthis.co.uk> wrote:

> The font is fine.

I wouldn't be so sure :-) Seriously, I once had a font that worked fine in
              most programs, but not in some graphics ones. Fortunately, at this time I
              had a contact with person who know something about font editing. He opened
              the font with some font editor, said some obscene words about font
              creator, then gave me back the file that was several bytes bigger and
              worked perfectly. So the font defects are not always obvious.

> It is intersting that Coreldraw will not allow this font to be italicised
              > whereas FW will.

Aha. That may explain things. Probably the font does not have italic
              variant, and FW tries to use "fake italic" by skewing the letters.
              Probably the letter goes out of bounding box. If fiddling with kerning and
              other text formatting options don't help, I'm out of ideas (except the
              idea of creating "true italic" yourself with a font editor :-))

--
              Ilya Razmanov
              • 4. Re: cut off letter
                Level 7
                On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 18:59:43 +0300, Ilya Razmanov <ilyich@ioc.ac.ru> wrote:

> Aha. That may explain things. Probably the font does not have italic
                > variant, and FW tries to use "fake italic" by skewing the letters.
                > Probably the letter goes out of bounding box. If fiddling with kerning
                > and other text formatting options don't help, I'm out of ideas (except
                > the idea of creating "true italic" yourself with a font editor :-))

On the other hand, I probably still am not out of ideas. Try converting
                text to paths and see if it helps. You will lose text edit features of
                course, but chances are that since bounding box and other text features
                will be lost as well, missing part of the letter will appear.

--
                Ilya Razmanov
                • 5. Re: cut off letter
                  Level 7
                  Ilya,

I'll pass on the idea of creating a "true italic".........I have plans for
                  next week :)

I have solved it in CorelDraw by skewing the text.

Thanks for the ideas :)

lawrie

--

"Ilya Razmanov" <ilyich@ioc.ac.ru> wrote in message
                  news:op.tmrq6ddk6e3g07@toadie...
                  : On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 18:59:43 +0300, Ilya Razmanov <ilyich@ioc.ac.ru>
                  wrote:
                  :
                  : > Aha. That may explain things. Probably the font does not have italic
                  : > variant, and FW tries to use "fake italic" by skewing the letters.
                  : > Probably the letter goes out of bounding box. If fiddling with kerning
                  : > and other text formatting options don't help, I'm out of ideas (except
                  : > the idea of creating "true italic" yourself with a font editor :-))
                  :
                  : On the other hand, I probably still am not out of ideas. Try converting
                  : text to paths and see if it helps. You will lose text edit features of
                  : course, but chances are that since bounding box and other text features
                  : will be lost as well, missing part of the letter will appear.
                  :
                  : --
                  : Ilya Razmanov
                  : http://photoshop.msk.ru - Photoshop plug-in filters