12 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2015 2:40 PM by trshaner

Lightroom 5 Not Responding / Spiking CPU at 100%

Easy Mark

Since about two months ago, Lightroom 5.7 has randomly started to become unresponsive and it spikes my CPU at 100% in rhythmic patterns (see image below). It will be unresponsive for several minutes, and usually the only way out is for me to push ctrl-q several times and hope that it will exit gracefully (instead of crashing).

Oddly enough, while lightroom is unresponsive and spiking my CPU, I can still open and run other programs (such as Photoshop, or FireFox, Chrome, ACR, Bridge). Those programs will be a bit sluggish, but I can still use them, EVEN WHILE LIGHTROOM IS UNRESPONSIVE.

16890593096_1b4dc2d34d_b.jpg

My pure gut feeling is that after a recent Windows 7 automatic update, Lightroom is having problems writing to my disk automatically, and it is causing the CPU to spike (and Lightroom to become unresponsive) while it repeatedly tries to write to disk.

Lightrom is the ONLY program that does this, and it had been working fine since I first installed it in April of 2014 up through about early February 2015.

I have tried reinstalling Lightroom, but that did not fix the problem.

I admit my system is old, but it is still capable. it runs photoshop / Bridge / ACR fine (not fast, but fine).

Core 2 Duo E8400 at 3.0 GHz

4 GB DDR3 RAM at 1333 MHz

160 GB Sata HD

Thanks in advance for any suggestions on how to fix / diagnose what is going on with Lightroom.

• 1. Re: Lightroom 5 Not Responding / Spiking CPU at 100%
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't have a real answer for you. I run Lightroom 5.7.1 on Windows 7 with 8 GB RAM, and I don't experience the problems you are describing. The specs for Lightroom indicate a minimum of 2 GB RAM. You are running on 4 GB RAM which really is pushing the limits of Lightroom even though the specs indicate otherwise. You would be well advised to upgrade your RAM to at least 8 GB.

• 2. Re: Lightroom 5 Not Responding / Spiking CPU at 100%
            Easy Mark Level 1

Hi there, Jim:

Thanks for your answer.

Low memory was my first thought, too. Coincidentally, I have 4 more gigs of ram arriving later today, so that will bump it up to 8GB total. (Postman should be here in a few hours.)

I hope this helps, but when I look at the memory usage, it is never over 70% or so. Hard disk faults are not preposterous either.

I have updated my machine to the latest drivers and bios available from Dell.

Oddly enough, lightroom also started doing this on my son's computer at about the same time frame, which runs Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit, but is lowered speced than my computer (he has a less powerful CPU and 4 gigs of DDR2 memory). His Computer is an HP (mine is a dell optiplex 780 small form factor). He has a discreete graphics card (some old Radon card). Mine uses the onboard Intel graphics.

but it hangs LESS FREQUENTLY on his machine than my (better spec'd) computer.

The one thing they both have in common is win 7 64-bit.

And I am using the same 16MP camera that I have been using for the last year.

• 3. Re: Lightroom 5 Not Responding / Spiking CPU at 100%
              dj_paige Level 9

Strange, your CPU is spiking to 100%, and you show us charts (as if we wouldn't believe you), but you don't tell us what functions or actions in Lightroom you are using at the time when this happens.

In particular, if you are performing a lot of brushing or spot healing, particularly in combination with Lens Corrections, you can get these problems, and there's really no way to prevent them (more memory won't help much) in Lightroom; the best solution is to do the spot healing and brushing in Photoshop or Photoshop Elements.

• 4. Re: Lightroom 5 Not Responding / Spiking CPU at 100%
                Easy Mark Level 1

By the way: Here is a screen shot of the memory usage when lightroom stops responding. It is a bit high:

memory-screenshot.jpg

When I start to edit the FIRST image I am working on, Lightroom uses about 1.5 gigs of memory.

But once I move on to editing a SECOND image, lightroom's memory usage increases to about 2.5 gigs of memory.

In other words, it kind of seems like it is keeping information from the previous image in memory, even when I am editing a different image. (I have made sure that the other image I was working on is not still selected.)

• 5. Re: Lightroom 5 Not Responding / Spiking CPU at 100%
                  dj_paige Level 9

You keep talking about memory when the problem is that your CPU is overwhelmed. These are not the same.

Your CPU problems can be caused by large amounts of spot healing and brushing, particularly in combination with Lens Corrections. If that's what you are doing, you need a faster CPU, and not more memory.

• 6. Re: Lightroom 5 Not Responding / Spiking CPU at 100%
                    Easy Mark Level 1

It is unfortunately with ALL operations.

Sometime it happens when just zooming in (or zooming out) of an image (either in develop mode or in Library).

Sometimes it is when an image has lots of brushes / radials / graduated, sometimes when it has none.

Sometimes when an image has sharpening, sometimes when it doesn't have ANY sharpening.

Sometimes it happens when I first just open lightroom.

Sometimes it doesn't happen at all.

I posted the image because I believe the "spiking" appearance is unusual and COULD help diagnose the problem better.

If I am making lots of adjustments and when lightroom is functioning normally, the CPU might be close to 100%, but it is a "flat table" instead of spiking, meaning there will be an extended time where it is at or nearly 100%, but not spiking a rhythmic pattern repeatedly.

• 7. Re: Lightroom 5 Not Responding / Spiking CPU at 100%
                      dj_paige Level 9

I think the large amount of your brushing and spot healing is the problem. It can affect both Develop Module and Library Module.

But if you want to be sure, create a new catalog, take a few dummy photos, import them into the new catalog, and then do lots of editing and other things on them ... but no spot healing or cloning or brushing. Does that cause speed issues?

Take a single photo in this new catalog, perform lots of spot healing/cloning and brushing on it. Does the problem appear, especially in the Develop Module?

As I said, this is not a memory issue, it is an issue with CPU speed and a faster CPU can improve the problem, but you'd be better off using Photoshop or Photoshop Elements for the spot healing and brushing.

• 8. Re: Lightroom 5 Not Responding / Spiking CPU at 100%
                        trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Easy Mark wrote:

I admit my system is old, but it is still capable. it runs photoshop / Bridge / ACR fine (not fast, but fine).

Core 2 Duo E8400 at 3.0 GHz

4 GB DDR3 RAM at 1333 MHz

160 GB Sata HD

Did you make any changes to your system such as add a 2nd monitor or a higher resolution monitor? Are you using the same camera image file type (i.e. was JPEG now using raw files)? Think about any other changes you may have made to the system that are now causing issues. Go back and try editing some of the same image file type from a year ago or more that did not have any issues. Do they exhibit the same problem?

Your Core 2 Duo E8400 at 3.0 GHz processor is borderline for editing 16 Megapixel raw images in LR5. Yes it will work, but as dj_paige explained when you start applying Local controls such as the Adjustment Brush, Clone tool, etc., Lens Profiles, Transform tools, and other Develop functions things may start to slow down. But this by itself should not cause LR to lockup and CPU utilization to hang at a high level when you stop editing.

I just noticed you show a 160GB SATA HD, which is pretty darn small by today's standards! Please check your available free disk space, which ideally is at least 33% or 50 GB. If you have sufficient free space try defragmenting the drive.

One last check. Are you running Windows 7 64 bit or 32 bit? If it's 32 bit you can't upgrade beyond 4GB and in fact only 3GB is usable by applications. 3 GB barrier - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You'll find it under 'System Type' here:

• 9. Re: Lightroom 5 Not Responding / Spiking CPU at 100%
                          dj_paige Level 9

But this by itself should not cause LR to lockup and CPU utilization to hang at a high level when you stop editing.

Yes it will. Lightroom still has to generate previews of the recently edited photos for display in the Library Module.

• 10. Re: Lightroom 5 Not Responding / Spiking CPU at 100%
                            Easy Mark Level 1

Thank you all to everyone who has replied. It seems like all of us MIGHT have been barking up the wrong tree though...

I had an adobe tech use remote support to access my machine, and he made some changes, namely:

"I gave Adobe software priorities on system resources on your machine."

I then tried to replicate the problems I had previously been having by using multiple adjustment brushes, multiple gradients, multiple spot removal, multiple everything. I zoomed in, zoomed out, cropped, uncropped, did pretty much everything EXCEPT export / print, and it seemed to be working fine.

So for now, I won't mark this forum as resolved, but I think I will try using it over the next few days and see if I can get it to stop responding again.

Thanks again, everyone!

~~~~

By the way: I do appreciate all the hardware upgrade / system upgrade suggestions. I am sure that I will be getting a new and better machine in the next three months or so. But RIGHT NOW I could only get a machine that would NOT be a significant improvement over my current machine (without being fiscally irresponsible).

Yes, I will replace it soon, but I will do so when I can afford either a used / refurbished 3rd-gen i7 or a 4th-gen i5 with a good motherboard, enough RAM, an SSD, and a better-than-average GPU. Until then, I hope to milk my current machine for as long as I can.

• 11. Re: Lightroom 5 Not Responding / Spiking CPU at 100%
                              Easy Mark Level 1

One last check. Are you running Windows 7 64 bit or 32 bit?

Forgot to mention that it is 64-bit.

Also may have forgotten to mention that I ran every conceivable diagnostic / system analysis / benchmark on my machine that I could fine and it always tested ok.

• 12. Re: Lightroom 5 Not Responding / Spiking CPU at 100%
                                trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Easy Mark wrote:

I had an adobe tech use remote support to access my machine, and he made some changes, namely:

"I gave Adobe software priorities on system resources on your machine."

To be honest this is the first I've heard of changing Windows system resource settings to "fix" Lightroom performance related issues. Your screenshots show LR at near 100% processor core utilization and high memory utilization (2.5GB of 3.4GB max. avail.).