2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2015 2:05 PM by redbourn

Which print book size and layout to choose?

redbourn Level 1

Am a newbie and am having a problem deciding on what print size book to use for my cookbook.

The recipes are very detailed and often contain a little bit of the history of the dish.

Please see the attachment that shows details of a random recipe that I just checked.

word count.jpg

Each recipe will have a photo but it doesn't have to be larger than maybe one third or half the size of each recipe.

There will be around 20 recipes and two sections, maybe creating an additional 4 pages and an index.

Margins I imagine will all be .5" or a little smaller.

Text will probably be Minion Pro 11 or 12 point or Franklin Gothic Medium, and I like Abobe Caslon too.

A spiral binding would be nice so that the book will lie flat but it's not essential.

And either portrait or landscape would be fine.

This is my first effort and I'm really bogged down with this so any help would be very much appreciated.

Am looking at Lulu and Lightning Source.

Createspace seems very expensive.

I know it's a lot to ask but page and font size would be very very useful.

With that info and a couple of good InDesign tutorials I should be able to get underway.

Michael

• 1. Re: Which print book size and layout to choose?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Your page size is determined by the size of the type and images, and how much white space you want to leave on the page (which should probably be quite a bit for something like this) to make it appealing to read.

Size of the type is largely determined by your target audience. Are you marketing to people who wear glasses? Do you expect readers to have the book open while they are cooking the dishes? In my opinion you will want much larger margins left and right, if for no other reason than it will keep the dirty fingerprints from flipping pages off the text. Go to a bookstore and take a look at some cookbooks to get a sense of what works well.

• 2. Re: Which print book size and layout to choose?
            redbourn Level 1

Well if people wear glasses then they will hopefully be able to read as well as people that don't wear them ;-)

Size 11 or 12 is probably fine.

I originally intended 8.5” x 8.5” but I wouldn't be able to get the recipe and a photo on facing pages.

Am now thinking of 8.5" x 11 but wanted to get some feedback before I start putting everything together.

Thanks for the post.

Michael