4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2015 8:32 AM by WMichaeli

3D text without paying an arm and a leg

WMichaeli

I've been searching for what seems like all day for a way to make 3D text using the pre-installed plug-ins or trying to find free plug-ins that will help.  So far I've been unsuccessful in this endeavor.  Google searches for free plug-ins of any sort always bring up free updates from Video Copilot which is obviously not what I'm looking for.  If someone could point me in the right direction of either a tutorial or site with free plug-ins for AE CC it would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks so much for your time.

• 1. Re: 3D text without paying an arm and a leg
          WMichaeli Level 1

Sorry don't see an edit button or I wouldn't post a second time but something else that might help is I'm pretty handy with Blender 2.67 so if there's a way to export the text made in Blender for After Effects all I would need to know if the proper file format and settings to use for exporting and anything special I would need to know for importing.  Thanks again.

• 2. Re: 3D text without paying an arm and a leg
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What version of AE? Even with old versions if AE you can stack 3D text layers in Z space to create extrusions or use Shatter:

AE Tips and Tricks: Advanced Extrusion with Shatter

An oldie but goodie from yours truly.

If you have CS6 or newer you can choose Ray-traced rendering for your comp and extrude away. No need to buy anything if you don't want to.

• 3. Re: 3D text without paying an arm and a leg
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Sorry don't see an edit button or I wouldn't post a second time but something else that might help is I'm pretty handy with Blender 2.67 so if there's a way to export the text made in Blender for After Effects all I would need to know if the proper file format and settings to use for exporting and anything special I would need to know for importing.

If you have AE CC, you can use Cineware/ Cinema 4D Lite based on OBJ exports from Blender or natively created in C4D. Otherwise I wouldn't bother and just render it in Blender.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: 3D text without paying an arm and a leg
                WMichaeli Level 1

Thank you both.  The shatter effect proved useful and comes very close to exactly what I was trying to achieve.  The Cineware plug-in is giving me a bit of trouble but I did a bit more digging and it seems there's a Blender plug-in called AE Exporter.  Going to get that installed and see how it works out.  I have some text that I can experiment with already saved as a Blender project.  C4D seems to cost even more than VideoCopilots plug-in so I think that's out of the question.