1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 27, 2007 1:48 AM by Lukewig

help with sample tech support movie setGet.dir

nevereasy
      I have downloaded a sample movie from this tech support page:
      http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_15199

The movie is setGet.dir and demonstrates the use of setPref() and getPref()

In the developers note that is in a lib member in the sample movie it says:

"After the setPref command runs, if the movie is playing in a browser, a folder named Prefs is created in the Plug-In Support folder. The setPref command can write only to that folder.

If the movie is playing in a projector or Director, a folder is created in the same folder as the application. The folder receives the name Prefs.

Another nice thing is that if you assign a name to the pref file (it is 'cygnus.txt' in this example), you can have as many pref files as you like, as long as it is a unique name."

This sounds like exactly what I need. And I expected to find, after running the movie, a folder called "Prefs" and a file called 'cygnus.txt' in that folder, in the same folder as the application.

I can't find that folder anywhere. Not where the director.dir file is and not where the Director.exe is either. Even a search of my whole computer doesn't find that folder or file. Yet the little sample movie works okay.

Here it is again: "If the movie is playing in a projector or Director, a folder is created in the same folder as the application. The folder receives the name Prefs." It doesn't!!! What am I missing here?

thanks again!
      cjj
        • 1. Re: help with sample tech support movie setGet.dir
          Lukewig Level 1
          Hi,

The exaxct location where the prefs flle is saved depends on whether toy're in Shockwave or Projector or Director and what version of Director/Shockwave and what platform.

On my mac, in Authoring, they are saved in ~user/Library/Application Suppport/Director MX 2004/Prefs.

Any, in theory you don't need to know where they are saved since you cannot interact with them (other than via GetPref and SetPref)

-- Luke