2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2007 5:39 AM by friedar

old movie/new player incompatibility, Windows only

friedar
      Hi, I have searched the forums, Adobe support and web in general for help on this, but to my surprise have not found anything.

I created some Shockwave movies perhaps 5 years ago for science education and have not used Director since then. I just received a report that the movies are broken and will not play. This is happening on WinXP in IE and in Firefox with the latest Shockwave player installed, but the movies work fine on OSX 10.4.8 in Safari and Firefox, also with the latest Shockwave player installed.

I am not a Director developer anymore (okay, I never REALLY was) and do not own a current version of the program, I am primarily a scientist and educator. I'm hoping the problem is in the html code that embeds the movie, and that the movies are still compatible with the new Shockwave player on Windows. Can anyone help out, please? One of the movies can be found at
      http://www.biochem.umass.edu/mydna/modules/sort.html
      Thanks so much for any pointers,
      Frieda
        • 1. Re: old movie/new player incompatibility, Windows only
          Level 7
          It is working for me with WinXP and Firefox. When I try it in IE, I get
          a message saying I need the new Shockwave player. But the thing is that
          I have the newest shockwave player, and I can play other content from
          Shockwave sites that have been published with the latest version of
          Director. I think there is a problem with your page detecting the
          version of the shockwave player and it is incorrectly not displaying the
          content
          • 2. Re: old movie/new player incompatibility, Windows only
            friedar Level 1
            Thanks while I agree that you diagnoised the correct problem - the versiondetection is the problem, what I need is help solving the problem. Is this the code that is the issue?
            if ( versionIndex >= 10 ) {
            ShockMode = 1;
            or is it
            else if (navigator.userAgent && navigator.userAgent.indexOf("MSIE")>=0
            && (navigator.userAgent.indexOf("Windows 95")>=0 || navigator.userAgent.indexOf("Windows 98")>=0 || navigator.userAgent.indexOf("Windows NT")>=0 )) {

I cannot decipher most of the code - can someone please look at the source (URL in first post) and help me to fix it?