1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 28, 2007 1:13 PM by johndaigle

Editing existing online help systems with RoboHelp

Johno619
      First, I'm a bit of a novice... but:

I'm trying to cutomize topics in the online help system included in the Microsoft CRM product (thus, tailoring the online help to match the customizations my organization has made to our copy of the product). Is there any way I can accomplish this in RoboHelp? I mean, I can import all of the individual HTML files, but I lose the TOC and any sort of structure to the overall help system (possibly XML files?). Plus, the files look a bit funny in the WYSIWYG, not sure why.

Maybe it's simple, and I'm missing something. Maybe it's not possible... Not sure. If I could just pull the whole thing into RoboHelp, make my changes, add new topics, and re-generate, I would be so stoked!
        • 1. Re: Editing existing online help systems with RoboHelp
          johndaigle Level 4
          Hi, and welcome to the forums!
          While I am not familar with the MS CRM app, the help appears to be a proprietary uncompiled format (not a .chm) You're right, it uses XML for the TOC. I did locate a link that might be helpful.
          Microsoft CRM Help: Customizing Online Help
          http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa681364.aspx

It suggests using any HTML editor for creating/editing topics, so it would appear you could do this in RoboHelp. However, the Table of Contents follows a proprietary XML format provided by MS. So, as I see it, you could probably maintain your content with a RoboHelp Projects, but would need to manually edit the XML provided by MS for the TOC. (It appears to be a fairly simple copy/paste operation and they provide examples).

As for the topics "looking funny in the WYSIWYG editor", I notice MS has quite a bit of documentation on styles. Quoting from the MS docs, "The style for a topic page is controlled by the Help.css, msnuxa.css, and psie17.css style sheets and the Help.js and msnpanehelp_script.js JScript files; therefore, links to these files need to be in each topic file. The locations you specify in the links depend on where you store your new Help pages." You could probably import these files into your RoboHelp "Baggage" virtual folder and link to them in the true code of your topics (a find and replace tool might be useful if you are doing a lot of topics.)

That said, you'll need to set up a little test project following the MS docs to see if this works for you.
          Hope this helps, and report what you find.
          Thanx
          john

John Daigle
          Certified Adobe RoboHelp, Adobe Captivate and Adobe Connect Professional Instructor