12 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2015 9:15 AM by Colin Flashman

Insert PDF page between PDF pages

Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I've asked this over on the acrobat forum but no response so I'm trying my luck here.

I've got a 500 page pdf that's 4 up.

And I"ve got a 1 page pdf 4 up that's the reverse for the 500 pages.

I'd like to insert the 1 page pdf in between each of the pages in the 500 page pdf, effectively giving me a 1000 page pdf.

I've tried Multipage importer along with another script to insert a master page between pages but honestly - it takes far too long to process a 500 page multipage import then insert a b master with the page and export back to PDF, taking well over 45 minutes.

Especially when I tried job no.2 with a 1500 page pdf where a pdf needs to be inserted between each of those pages.

Plus it ties up the entire computer.

Does anyone know of a way to insert 1 page pdf in between a multipage pdf?

• 1. Re: Insert PDF page between PDF pages
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Good Morning, Eugene (Yeah, I know, it's not morning for you any more).

I don't think I have an answer, at least not yet, but I'm confused by the description. You have on PDF that contains 500 pages, and you have another with just 1, and you want to insert that same page after each of the 500 existing pages in the larger doc? Why?

• 2. Re: Insert PDF page between PDF pages

500 page data merged file 4 up.

Same back from the all.

Supplied PDFs as 500 page PDF. With another PDF for the back which contains just 1 page.

Would like to have the back after each page in the 500 page doc, making a 1000 page doc that can be printed duplex straight off the printer without having to reload the paper.

There's quite a few of these jobs, some larger than others.

• 3. Re: Insert PDF page between PDF pages

So each of  the 4-up is a different record, so you can't use a two page master? Can you re-build the data file to have four sets of data per record?

Of course this is where I'm going to tell you how inefficient printing this as a straight-up duplex job is going to be. You have to process that same fixed content page 500 times instead of once.  Turning over a stack of paper would probably allow you to print two or three jobs in the same time (I'd print the static side first, and print extra, in case of jams on the second run).  Or send this out to a service that has VDP print capabilities.

• 4. Re: Insert PDF page between PDF pages

Yeh there's various reasons why I can't work like that.

What I really need is a method to insert the 1 page pdf between all the pages of the other pdf in a quick and efficient way.

• 5. Re: Insert PDF page between PDF pages

I don't know how quick and efficient this is (an acrobat script is probably the correct answer), but I'd do it in ID but making a two-page template the size of one set, put the static stuff on the master for one side, and the merge fields on the other, then do a single record merge.

To get the 4-up version I'd run the Zanelli multipage placer script 4 times.

• 6. Re: Insert PDF page between PDF pages

Sorry for the confusion Peter, these files are coming in supplied this way.

If I could do the data merge here I'd have no issues at all with this.

The fact is there's a 591 page pdf with 1 back

There's a 1543 page pdf with 1 back (could be the same or could be different can't take a chance)

There's 854 page pdf with 1 back for it.

Everything I've tried takes an absolute age to complete and crashes and holds up the computer - so it's a non-runner.

• 7. Re: Insert PDF page between PDF pages
                      Colin Flashman Adobe Community Professional

there is a script for acrobat called collate. I touched on it in a colecandoo blog Adding pages features to Acrobat | Colecandoo! a while back, but the actual script does live in the adobe acrobat forum: Re: How can I merge even and odd pages of a PDF? (go to post 8). Beaut part is it also adds a "reverse" feature so if you wanted pages 1,2,3,4,5 to become 5,4,3,2,1, it'll do that too!

• 8. Re: Insert PDF page between PDF pages

That's very complicated for me.

• 9. Re: Insert PDF page between PDF pages

a solution that might seem bonkers at first: split the 500 page PDF using the split pages feature in acrobat to 1pp long and put in one folder. set aside.

next, in another folder, put the PDF that is the common back in there and make 499 duplicates (so that 500 backs are there) and don't worry about the filenames for now. set aside.

next, in bridge, go to the folder with the 500 newly split fronts and use batch rename to rename using sequence only.

then, again in bridge, go to the folder with the 500 copied back files and use batch rename to rename using sequence AND text at the end so it contains the letter a. Make sure the sequence number starts the same as the one in the front folder.

then in finder, combine the two contents together so you have something like this:

001.pdf

001a.pdf

002.pdf

002a.pdf....

then, in Acrobat, go create, and go combine files into single PDF, and drag the whole lot into there.

I did a test as I was writing this and looked OK from here.

Colin

• 10. Re: Insert PDF page between PDF pages

Sorry, had to do some stuff.

I've had two more thoughts. First, check on the scripting forum to see if anyone has a script to insert blank pages in ID. I think that's been done. You could do that and put the static stuff on the master for those after placing the multipage file.

Second, if you can get the other party to supply the files as 1-up instead of 4-up you could do run the Zanelli script twice (split the range int the two halves of the total page count), then add the back side to the master page in the other two positions and run as work and turn.

• 11. Re: Insert PDF page between PDF pages

Colin actually emailed a file that worked like a dream. It's a javascript to install in the script folder in acrobat. I'll leave it to Colin to post how it works and then I'll mark his answer as correct.

Many thanks for all the suggestions really appreciate all the help.

• 12. Re: Insert PDF page between PDF pages

the script can be found here: Re: How can I merge even and odd pages of a PDF? (8th post down posted by jbaitis) - copy and paste the script into a text editor and call it "collate.js" (without the quote marks of course)

to install it, close acrobat, and then copy the script into this location (assuming you work on a mac using Acrobat XI)

/Applications/Adobe Acrobat XI Pro/Adobe Acrobat Pro.app/Contents/Resources/JavaScripts/collate.js

restart acrobat and when a file is open, there should be two new options available under "undo" in the edit menu: collate and reverse. collate works by getting file A and interleaving it with file B, so both files need to be the same page length. In Eugene's case, this would have meant creating a common back file that was as many pages as the front, but that isn't too hard to do via the finder and the "combine files into a single PDF" function in Acrobat.

That said, my earlier "bonkers" approach using the split feature worked too, but the collate script is far, far easier.

Colin