7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2017 12:36 PM by bexterinni

Filename into meta data

redtagdm

I'd like to be able to add the filename into the meta data (File info) automatically on all the documents we work on. The reason being our client changes the file name and when they return the pdf to us for amends I have little or no way of locating the file amongst 25,000 documents.

• 1. Re: Filename into meta data
          rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You could script it but you would have to remember to run the script. A script can include a save, so it could set the document title in meta then save. You could then change the default Command-S key command to run the script, but you would have to set that up on all your user machines.

• 2. Re: Filename into meta data

The AppleScript (OSX only) would be

tell application "Adobe InDesign CC 2014"

tell active document

set document title of metadata preferences to name

save

end tell

end tell

• 3. Re: Filename into meta data
              redtagdm Level 1

Hi Rob,

A good solution but I'm concerned that I'm relying on the user running the script. Instead of actionscript, can this script be run within indesign once the document is opened - sorry if this is a silly question but I know nothing about scripting.

Thanks

Paul

• 4. Re: Filename into meta data

A script can listen for events—like opening a file—but the user would still need to remember to start it up. The reason I was suggesting the save option is that every file needs to get saved. Scripts can be assigned key commands so you could assign Command-S to the example script and instead of a simple save you would get the meta title written followed by the save.

What OS are you using?

• 5. Re: Filename into meta data
                  redtagdm Level 1

We're running 10.10.2 (14C1514) and Adobe Indesign CC 2014

• 6. Re: Filename into meta data

If you unzip this link:

http://www.zenodesign.com/forum/MetaTitle.zip

and copy the script to your scripts folder (Applications ▸ Adobe InDesign CC 2014 ▸ Scripts ▸ Scripts Panel), then open a file and run the script you'll see that the file name gets copied to the meta data Document Title and the file gets saved.

So you could open Keyboard Shortcuts>Scripts find the script and give it the Command-S key command.

• 7. Re: Filename into meta data
                      bexterinni

I found this post and zip file yesterday, I downloaded the script, assigned the keyboard shortcut and it works perfectly!!

I am wondering if this can be edited to also populate the "Author" field of InDesign's "file info" metadata, pulling this info from the "User" field? I assume that it can, but i have no idea how to edit an Applescript. Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.

~bexterinni