16 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2015 11:37 AM by fmburnin

Half of picture is bright pink and orange

vickib76060431

I recently started using LIghtroom 5,  organized and then imported all my picutures.DSC_4661.jpg

i have been working on adding keywords, deleting and decideing which pictures to keep.last night i was trying out a couple of presents to a photo to see what it looked like and after i had tried several the pictures lower half was bright pinkand orange overtop of the regular photo. I tried the restore defaults , didnt help, went to develop and tried the reset button there and nothing. when i look at the original file on my hard drive the thumbnail looks normal, when i enlarge the picture the bottem half where the colours were is black.  the picture has been on the computer since Feb 28, i download from camera, i have not had any issues with any other pictures. I tried deleteing picture and re- importing with no success. i first deleted from hard drive and then after re importing i tried again just deleting from lightroom. no change to picture on hard drive. while loolking through the history pane, i i could see the presets i had added and then where i had hit restore defaults. I am not sure what else to say , except i am a little leary of doing anything in light room at this point for fear of screwing up more pictures.  and no I dont have a backup yet,  thats how new this is to me. Is there anything i can do ? or is this picture lost to me? and how do i know my copy of lightroom will not do this again? Thanks Vicki

• 1. Re: Half of picture is bright pink and orange
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Problems like this are an indication of a problem somewhere in your system, but not with the Lightroom program. The card you are using could be bad, you should have a bad sector on your hard drive, if you connected the camera directly to the computer the cord could be damaged. But it's something along those lines that is causing this problem. The import process simply copies images from the camera to your hard drive or adds Images to the catalog if they are already on your hard drive. And adding keywords adds them to the catalog. It doesn't do anything to the image. So you have a hardware problem somewhere in your system.

• 2. Re: Half of picture is bright pink and orange
            RikkFlohr Adobe Community Professional

This is the classic appearance of a hardware failure.   It could be your memory card, cable, reader, usb port, hard drive etc.

There are many other posts in this forum regarding this issue. You will have to test your components one-by-one to find the point of failure.

• 3. Re: Half of picture is bright pink and orange
              vickib76060431 Level 1

Updated:  the file was downloaded a month ago. opened and edited in View NX2 at that time. 

I installed Lightroom about 10 days ago. and imported by pictures a couple of days later.

Have been using it to edit etc since then with no issues.

I REOPENED THIS FILE IN VIEWNX2 THIS MORNING AND IT IS PERFECT , NO ISSUES , LOOKS TOTALLY NORMAL!!

that leads me to believe i did something in Light room that i cannot figure out how to undow.

• 4. Re: Half of picture is bright pink and orange

You didn't tell us that NX2 imported the file - that may explain it. Older versions of NX2 have a habit of of making files unreadable.

You need to not use NX2 or update it to the latest version.

Again, there are several posts about this in the forum you can read through.

• 5. Re: Half of picture is bright pink and orange
                  dj_paige Level 9

As the others have explained, this is most definitely a hardware issue.

Lightroom never changes the image portion of your photo. Lightroom only displays the photo pixels sent to it from your hard disk. Lightroom cannot cause this to happen.

Some piece of hardware has malfunctioned, causing this photo to appear impoperly. You need to diagnose the hardware issue, by testing the components of your computer, from camera card to card reader/usb cable to hard disk to computer memory.

• 6. Re: Half of picture is bright pink and orange
                    vickib76060431 Level 1

so i have 10,600 pics in my lightroom catalog , probably half were imported by View NX2 , does that mean i can now have issues in lightroom because of that!

• 7. Re: Half of picture is bright pink and orange

My money is still on hardware failure - without knowing what you did with what version of software it is tough to say.   You have some troubleshooting work to do to determine where the fault lies.

• 8. Re: Half of picture is bright pink and orange
                        JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Take a few images and import them directly into Lightroom using Lightroom, and not another program such as ViewNX. If it's the software, this may be a good indicator. Otherwise, there could be problems with your hard drive or some other hardware in your system.

• 9. Re: Half of picture is bright pink and orange
                          Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I REOPENED THIS FILE IN VIEWNX2 THIS MORNING AND IT IS PERFECT , NO ISSUES , LOOKS TOTALLY NORMAL!!

that leads me to believe i did something in Light room that i cannot figure out how to undow.

That actually doesn't mean much. You need to make ViewNX re-render the file from the raw. Otherwise it just shows you the jpeg preview, which could very well be intact. ViewNX by default does not render the raw file. What the screenshot above looks like is indeed a corruption in the raw file, likely a copying error or your hard disk going bad. 

• 10. Re: Half of picture is bright pink and orange
                            ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

As to whether half of 10,600 pictures in your LR catalog are bad due to being imported by ViewNX2, not unless your software was older than the model of camera the images came from.  If you always use the newest software from your newest camera to view and copy your images they should be ok.  It's when people keep their old software and use it with a recently acquired camera that problems occur.

• 11. Re: Half of picture is bright pink and orange
                              vickib76060431 Level 1

I probably am okay as the viewnx2 that i was using is what came with the camera and havnt gotten a new camera.

thanks

• 12. Re: Half of picture is bright pink and orange
                                fmburnin

I recently experienced the very same issue on a few specific photos.  I'm using the latest version of ViewNX2 2.10.3 which came with my D7100 and I have LR5.7.  I talked to the Mac guys this morning and they said it had to be a software issue between Nikon ViewNX2 and Lightroom.  I have since imported different raw files into LR from ViewNX2 and have not had an issue.  I'm not a "geek" but I do not believe it's hardware.....

Here is the file after it was imported into LR

Screen Shot 2015-05-18 at 12.50.37 PM.png

Now, I went back to the original file in View and exported it out of View and here were the results....

Screen Shot 2015-05-18 at 12.54.22 PM.png

We do need a definite answer on this one and I will keep pursuing...

• 13. Re: Half of picture is bright pink and orange
                                  dj_paige Level 9

This is most definitely a hardware malfunction, as I and others have described above.

you need to try different hardware to see if you can isolate the problem.

• 14. Re: Half of picture is bright pink and orange
                                    fmburnin Level 1

I will get with the Mac guys tomorrow to see if we can isolate the issue…just had new hard drives and graphics card installed 45 days ago…thanks….I will let you know what they find out….so we can put to rest…thx again.

• 15. Re: Half of picture is bright pink and orange
                                      dj_paige Level 9

You could try transferring/importing the photos again with different hardware on your own, instead of waiting for the "Mac guys" to do it. You need to check cables, USB port, camera connection, card reader; all of that you could do right now. You also need to check the hard drive and your computer's memory. The fact that some hardware is just 45 days old is irrelevant, some hardware malfunctions in less time than that.

• 16. Re: Half of picture is bright pink and orange
                                        fmburnin Level 1

I totally understand time is irrelevant about hardware. Mac guys are already into this and they can check the hard drive, memory far better than I especially since this could be a warranty issue on the computer. Also, I’m going to let them do it so we can have an official resolution from a certified tech….My thinking is it’s definitely an intermittent issue which can be very difficult to isolate as you well know…I have since downloaded photos from camera and put on card reader without issue.  However, I’m going to test all of the attachable components, i.e. cable, card reader, etc…also, will have a look at camera connection….but like I said if it’s an intermittent issue then it might be very difficult to replicate…thanks for your time….