10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2007 7:59 PM by Chunick

converting wav to swa with cue points

cratica
      I have cue points in my wav files and when I convert them to swa, the cue points are either 2x or 4x the correct values. I have tried resampling the wav to 16bit, 24bit, 44hz, 22hz, etc... and nothing I have tried with keep the cue points intact. I have tried resampling the wav before adding the cue points, then converting to swa and still have the same result.

What is the correct method to ensure the cue points don't change when converting from wav to swa? (I am using the conversion within Director MX 2004)

Thanks a bunch...
        • 1. Re: converting wav to swa with cue points
          Level 7
          "cratica" <cratica@austin.rr.com> posted in macromedia.director.basics:

> What is the correct method to ensure the cue points don't change when
          > converting from wav to swa? (I am using the conversion within Director
          > MX 2004)

Is your end product going to be a projector or a SW running in a browser
          window?

In short, don't bother.

If you don't need the streaming feature of external sound files, what you
          might do is import the wavs into an external castLib (they will retain their
          cuepoints). Then <BACKUP!!!> and publish the Shockwave version of that
          castLib. Director will compress the audios according to your Publish
          Settings.

If you do need the files to remain external, you'll probably need to forget
          about using the cuepoint features and roll your own while detecting the
          currentTime of the sound that's playing.

--
          Mark A. Boyd
          Keep-On-Learnin' :)
          • 2. Re: converting wav to swa with cue points
            cratica Level 1
            I cannot use wav's as they are much too large. End product is on a CD but is also downloadable. I prefer to embed the cue points into the audio file rather than maintain another set of external files to read from.

Funny thing is that I know it's possible for them to be converted AND retain the correct cue points. I just can't seem to figure out why it does it sometimes and others it just screws them all up. For instance, last night I was able to rip a song from a cd to an MP3, then load it into goldwave, import my cue points, then save as wav, and then convert to swa using Director. Worked perfectly, cue points intact.

Today, different song on the same CD, using EXACT same method as above and the cue points end up 4X the value. I retried this several times and then retried using various methods and I still can't get it to work.

Is this yet another Director BUG? Supplied documentation mentiones NOTHING about how to make sure cue points maintain correct values, yet there is obviously something very specific it is looking for OR there is a bug. I've wasted countless hours on this and I wish there was better documentation or possibly a bug fix or work around out there that someone knows about.

Thank you.
            • 3. Re: converting wav to swa with cue points
              Level 7
              Hi Cratica,

I'm not sure why the cue points are not working for you. Have you tried different
              compression settings? What settings are you using in the Convert to SWA process?

regards
              Dean

Director Lecturer / Consultant
              http://www.fbe.unsw.edu.au/learning/director
              http://www.multimediacreative.com.au

• 4. Re: converting wav to swa with cue points
                cratica Level 1
                Hello Dean,

I have the accuracy set to High, have the convert to stereo unchecked and the bit rate is usually 128. I have tried all bit rates though and they don't seem to make any difference. Well, it does make a bit of difference the longer the audio file is, but the first points are all the same. (lower bit rate numbers tend to introduce slight errors in the cue points and get worse the longer the audio file is but the early cue points are all the same regardless of the bit rate selected)

Not understanding why my game wasn't working, I used the 'cuepointtimes' in the message window for the cast member... The wav file is first, the swa file is second...

-- [25566, 25755, 26047, 26521, 26766, 27128, 27786, 28273, 28444, 29589, 29772, 30083, etc...

-- [111310, 112131, 113401, 115465, 116532, 118110, 120976, 123092, 123840, 128824, etc...

Like I said, it has worked before. (about 1 in every 50 conversions or so, yes I've spent MANY hours with this problem) but I can never tell when it will work or why.

Thanks!

• 5. Re: converting wav to swa with cue points
                  Level 7
                  Hi Cratica,

If it works with one WAV but not another, then things to go through are any
                  differences in the 2 sounds - bit rate, length, etc.

When you say it worked before, I assume it was with a different WAV file not the
                  same one? If you can get the exact same WAV to create different results through a
                  SWA conversion with exactly the same settings, then the problem lies with the SWA
                  converter. If it works with most WAVs but always has issues with one particular
                  WAV, then it's something in that WAV that's causing a problem and so doing a
                  thorough comparison may identify what it is.

regards
                  Dean

Director Lecturer / Consultant
                  http://www.fbe.unsw.edu.au/learning/director
                  http://www.multimediacreative.com.au

• 6. Re: converting wav to swa with cue points
                    johnAq Level 1
                    Well there is a definite multiplier effect occuring with your two sets of numbers. What are the correct times supposed to be? They seem to start quite hight and then stay very close together.

hth

johnAq
                    • 7. Re: converting wav to swa with cue points
                      cratica Level 1
                      Looks like there are multiple problems. First off, I used Goldwave to add cue points. However, their system does something different and when converted to a swa, multiplies the numbers by 4x. Basically, don't get Goldwave if you want to use it to add cue points for use in Director. I then tried using Sound Forge Audio Studio 8. I have nearly 400 cue points in the wav file and for some reason Director is crashing now when I try to convert the wav file. I can cut the file into chunks and some of them will convert. I can delete some of the cue points and re-add them and then they *might* convert only to fail and crash later on. This WHOLE process stinks something mightely. It is a shame people put out buggy software. What a waste of valuable production time this process has been.
                      • 8. Re: converting wav to swa with cue points
                        johnAq Level 1
                        When it works, are you processing the cue points with Lingo or the Tempo channel? Do you have a target marker for each cue point?

FWIW I never use cue points when doing this type of thing, rather a text list of cue times from which I create a list and manage the sync with lingo. I could dig up that script for you if want to avoid cue points

hth

johnAq
                        • 9. Re: converting wav to swa with cue points
                          cratica Level 1
                          John, the 4x problem is taken care of. It was Goldwave doing that.

Now the problem is this. I'm using sound forge now and when adding over 200-250 cue points (number mysteriously moves around), Director MX 2004 will crash when trying to compress the wav file.

I added 200 cue points and it will convert fine. I added approximately 225 and it converts fine. 250 and it was fine. 251 and it crashed. Went back to 225 or so and it crashed. Went to 200 and it worked. There seems to be some bug where it will not allow more than 200-250 cue points or the embedded 'wav to swa' conversion utility in mx2004 will crash.

Anyone have this problem? Any other way to convert to swa? Any other compressed format that supports cue points and that Director supports?

John, I can't use a text list of cue times. I tried that method, but if the sound file is delayed at any point for even a few milliseconds, the timing will be off. I must use embedded cue points so I can maintain the timing integrity on the fly.

Thanks for the suggestion though...
                          • 10. Re: converting wav to swa with cue points
                            Chunick Level 3
                            quicktime allows cue points and there should be no problem just saving out the audio portion... haven't really done much of it myself, but you could probably set the video size to 1x1 or 0x0... someone else out there reading it may have more experience with using this method.