12 Replies Latest reply on Apr 9, 2015 8:23 PM by A.T. Romano

Unable to open or start any projects in Adobe Premiere Elements 11

Gink

Hello,

For some unknown reason all of a sudden I am unable to open or start any projects in Adobe Premiere Elements 11. I have uninstalled program and reinstalled and still unable to open or start any projects in Adobe Premiere Elements 11. I double click Icon on desktop and program starts but when I click on open existing project, nothing opens. I have also tried right clicking on an existing saved project file and said open with, and it does not open. Any ideas why and what I need to do to fix this?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Unable to open or start any projects in Adobe Premiere Elements 11
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Gink

On what computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 11 running?

How long ago did the problem appear?

1. Does the problem exist with and without the antivirus and firewall(s) disabled?

Are you working in a company or school network?

2. Have you started using a pen and tablet device instead of mouse?

3. I have Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 7 and 8.1 64 bit. Both operating system

have had a lot of Windows Updates lately, but my Premiere Elements 11 continues to

work. So, my first impression is that this is probably not related to Windows Updates.

4. Is your video card/graphics card up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer

of the card?

5. Have you installed any 3rd party plug-ins or codecs lately?

Let us start here and then we can decide what next.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Unable to open or start any projects in Adobe Premiere Elements 11
            Gink Level 1

Thanks for getting back to me.

I am running WINS 7 Home Premium 64 Bit. Nothing has changed in that regard from when it did work

Problem started a few months ago.

problem exists with Antivirus and Firewall disabled

Video card drivers up to date

Not using pen or tablet device

I have not installed any 3rd party plugins or codecs.

Let me clarify one thing for what it is worth. I mentioned that when  I double click Icon on desktop, program starts but when I click on open existing project, nothing opens. What actually happens is the program just closes. If I try to click Open existing project, no list of existing projects appears for me to select.

Thanks

• 3. Re: Unable to open or start any projects in Adobe Premiere Elements 11
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Gink

Thanks for the additional information.

I want to clarify one point in particular at this time....can you open a new project

a. from the Welcome Screen and Video/New Project

or

b. from within an open project using File Menu/New/Project?

I was not sure if the problems were confined to the opening and closing the existing projects.

Do you work with the Edit Menu/Preferences/AutoSave feature on? If so, do you have AutoSave files in the

Adobe Premiere Elements AutoSave Folder that you can open successfully to the Expert or Quick workspace?

ATR

• 4. Re: Unable to open or start any projects in Adobe Premiere Elements 11
                Gink Level 1

When I double click the Elements icon on my desktop, the welcome screen does come up.

When I click on video editor, I get the two options, Existing Project, and New Project.

If I click on New Project, The welcome screen closes. If I click on Existing Project I see an Open folder Icon, but if I click on it, the welcome screen closes as well

So the answer to your question is no I cannot open a new project

a. from the Welcome Screen and Video/New Project

or

b. from within an open project using File Menu/New/Project

Regarding your next question:

"Do you work with the Edit Menu/Preferences/AutoSave feature on? If so, do you have AutoSave files in the

Adobe Premiere Elements AutoSave Folder that you can open successfully to the Expert or Quick workspace"

I am going to say no to that because I am assuming you mean opening them once I am all the way into the program, and at this point the problem is I cannot get into the program either with a new project or and existing project. I hope this clarifies the issue better.

Thanks

• 5. Re: Unable to open or start any projects in Adobe Premiere Elements 11
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Gink

Thanks for the follow up.

Just a quick question, and then I revisit your thread in the morning with detailed comments and looking for any further details

you might have on this matter..

If you have the AutoSave feature on in preferences, during the course of the video editing session, the program will

generate AutoSaves and store them in the Adobe Premiere Elements AutoSave Folder. Default in Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit =

Libraries/Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/11.0 (in your case).

With the program closed, can you go to the Adobe Premiere Elements AutoSave Folder, find some AutoSaves, right click one

of them, select Open With and then Adobe Premiere Elements 11.0? Does Premiere Elements 11 open to the AutoSave to the Expert

or Quick workspace of the program? Based on your prior description of the problem, the answer is likely no. But, I just wanted to make

sure.

ATR

• 6. Re: Unable to open or start any projects in Adobe Premiere Elements 11
                    Gink Level 1

Ok I did as you instructed, an Adobe Premiere Elements Purple box appears  with a bunch of names listed and it say initializing application but never loads or opens anything.

Thanks

• 7. Re: Unable to open or start any projects in Adobe Premiere Elements 11
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Gink

Thanks for the reply. Sorry that the news was not better.

Have we determined if the program was installed to the default location Local Disk C?

Have we ruled out any antivirus and firewall(s) as well as other security program issues in this matter, and

you are not working in a school or company network? If we get down to last resort, we might consider uninstalling

the antivirus instead of disabling Real Time Protection.

More ways to go on this.

1. You might consider the solutions suggested for 12 which would not open.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE12: Premiere Elements 12 Editor Will Not Open

2. You say that you have done the uninstall/reinstall with no solution to the problem.

When you did this, did you go through

a. uninstall the usual control panel route

b. free ccleaner run through to get rid of leftovers from uninstalls/reinstalls

c. reinstall with antivirus and firewall(s) disabled.

3. Create a new user account with administrative privileges and install and try to open Premiere Elements 11 on that.

4. Download and install tryout files for 11 from the following web site, insert your purchased serial number in them during

installation.

http://prodesigntools.com/photoshop-elements-11-direct-download-links-pse-premiere-pre.htm l

To avoid an Access Denied message be sure to follow the web site's "Note: Very Important Instructions".

Please let us know if any of the above gave us the break through in this that we seek.

Thank you for the follow ups. Appreciated.

ATR

• 8. Re: Unable to open or start any projects in Adobe Premiere Elements 11
                        Gink Level 1

Sorry took me a while to finally get to trying all the things suggested in last post. None of those suggestions helped

• 9. Re: Unable to open or start any projects in Adobe Premiere Elements 11
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Gink

Thanks for going through the suggestions. Discouraging to learn that especially the new user account with administrative privileges as well as new set of installation files did not impact the cannot open 11 project issue.

For troubleshooting purposes only at this time, what do you think about downloading and installing the free tryout of Premiere Elements 13 from Adobe. If it works, then we can implicate Premiere Elements 11; if it does not work, then we can implicate the computer operating system.

What do you think about this?

ATR

• 11. Re: Unable to open or start any projects in Adobe Premiere Elements 11
                            Gink Level 1

Well that didn't work either. I guess I am looking at rebuilding my system . Thanks for your help

• 12. Re: Unable to open or start any projects in Adobe Premiere Elements 11
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Gink

Thanks for the update.

Before you start rebuilding your system, let us recap, looking for something that we may have missed.

Going on the basis of a computer problem, based on both 11 and 13 not working when installed on your computer....

1. If you just disabled Real Time Protection (antivirus) before, consider uninstalling the antivirus to determine if that makes a difference in the outcome.

2. Did you install and try to run the programs in a new user account with administrative privileges?

3. How many video cards/graphics cards are listed in Device Manager/Display Adapters?

4. Do you have any software that would be a likely candidate for conflicting program? Any 3rd party codecs and/or plug-ins?

ATR