14 Replies Latest reply on Mar 29, 2015 12:22 PM by A.T. Romano

missing works in progress files! help me recover my projects!

kristy8787

I am using Adobe Premier elements 13 on a PC laptop, I was having problems for the last several days with the program freezing and I would have to restart the program. It was recommended to me through this help forum to delete The  Adobe Premiere preferences file in order to fix this crashing problem. Since I have done that I am now missing 3 work in progress files so when I open Adobe Premier elements 13 now I do not see my projects and I cannot open them or work on them at all. What can I do? I need to finish these projects soon!

• 1. Re: missing works in progress files! help me recover my projects!
          A.T. Romano Level 7

kristy8787

Deleting the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file (even the 13.0 Folder in which it exists) should not interfere with your closed existing projects.

If you go to the Adobe Folder

Libraries

Documents

Adobe

Premiere Elements

do you see your 3 project.prel files there?

ATR

• 2. Re: missing works in progress files! help me recover my projects!
            kristy8787 Level 1

No I do not there is "project 1" "project 2" and "project 3" and their

modified dates are similar to the dates of the files I am looking for,  but

they are all blank without the same file name, and nothing in the project

timeline

On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 1:25 PM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 3. Re: missing works in progress files! help me recover my projects!
              A.T. Romano Level 7

kristy8787

Thanks for the reply.

The problem description in your thread mentioned

I was having problems for the last several days with the program freezing and I would have to restart the program. It was recommended to me through this help forum to delete The  Adobe Premiere preferences file in order to fix this crashing problem.

I looked for your prior threads and did not find any. Did we discuss this matter here previously. If so, about when? Was it in your own new thread or in

the thread of another?

When you did the deletion of the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file and, if necessary, the whole 13.0 Folder in which it exists, were you

confident about the path cited

User

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 13.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If necessary, you delete that whole 13.0 Folder in which

the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. There should be no way that is going to wipe out your projects.

When it came time for saving each of these 3 projects was there any indication of a save close problem?

ATR

• 4. Re: missing works in progress files! help me recover my projects!
                kristy8787 Level 1

I was reading advice from another user's thread who had the same crashing

issue as me, and i followed the instructions, i only deleted the one file

"adobe premeire elements prefs" and i did not delete any folders. I did not

have a save close problem, I have been working on these 3 projects for some

time now, and have not had any issues saving, closing the program,

restarting my computer, re-opening the files with my saved progress, no

problems at all until today! how do I recover my missing files? please

help! it would be easier if we could schedule a phone chat? 425 269 4985

On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 2:25 PM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 5. Re: missing works in progress files! help me recover my projects!
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

kristy8787

Thanks for the reply and the clarification on your prior troubleshooting.

We are not Adobe here. Rather user to user. The frequency of appearance of Adobe Staff or Adobe's PRE_help in this forum is not defined.

I am a frequent visitor to this forum who shares Premiere Elements information that I have gotten from working with Premiere Elements. I am

not affiliated with Adobe in any way.

Please do not include personal information in your posts in order to avoid nuisances to your contact information.

Let us go through this systematically...

1. What specific names did you give these 3 projects...

a. in the format My new video project1.prel, My new video project2.prel, and My new video project3.prel

or

b.other

You have already looked in Libraries/Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/13.0 where you have found

3 .prel files outside the folders in the 13.0 Folder and these 3 have no content.

If you open the program to the Welcome Screen, click on Video and then Existing Projects, what .prel

files are named in that drop down list?

As a last resort, open the program to the Expert workspace, go to File Menu/New/Project to open to the

New Project dialog. Look to the Save In: location of the New Project dialog, click on the tiny triangle to the right

of the Save In: field to reveal recent Save In: choices. What are those choices?

Have you inspected the Recycle Pin? And, everything that you have written tells me that you are working with

Premiere Elements project files and not slideshow projects that you have created in the Elements Organizer Slideshow

Builder of 13 and saved it there.

Please view and consider.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: missing works in progress files! help me recover my projects!
                    kristy8787 Level 1

The files i had as works in progress that are missing were called

"jacs.prel" "how to pose.prel" and "desert beauties.prel"

when I open the program and click on "existing projects" menu, below (where

the names of the 3 ongoing projects used to be) now it just says '"open"

with a file icon on the far left.

When I click on "open" the options to open are a few files that were past

projects that have been rendered and completed, and those empty files (I

have included screen shots below)

Your last resort "save as" in expert mode took me to the same file folder

as the "open" projects (see adobe help 3 below)

There is nothing in my recycle bin

They are all video projects I created and saved as works in progress within

Adobe Premeire Elements

On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 4:33 PM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 7. Re: missing works in progress files! help me recover my projects!
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

kristy8787

The screenshots did not show up.

Please review the how to for the screenshot if you have not done them before.

The specified item was not found.

It is not looking good for finding those 3 projects. For reasons unknown at this point, they do not appear to

exist. There are a lot of "could be"

a. you overwrote the projects creating new ones

b. there was a problem with the saving closing of each of the projects......

Have you double checked the Adobe Premiere Elements AutoSave Folder in Libraries/Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/13.0 to determine

if you have AutoSaves of those project that you can use to salvage the projects?

If you have not already, please check the File Menu/New/Project and New Project dialog Save In drop down list to see if there are any old save

locations for us to explore...

Search-1.jpg

I will be watching for your progress in the early morning.

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR

• 8. Re: missing works in progress files! help me recover my projects!
                        kristy8787 Level 1

I just followed your instructions and did not find the files in the

autosave folder, and there are no additional lines in the "save in"

locations, just the one in Libraries/Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/13.0

Who can I talk to about getting my money back for this program? It's cost

me WEEKS of hard work! Now I have to start over on all three major

projects, unacceptable! I need to speak with a representative, I know you

are just trying to help me out, but seriously, Adobe doesn't have its own

tech support line?!

On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 9:14 PM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 9. Re: missing works in progress files! help me recover my projects!
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

kristy8787

All the information the we have exchanged so far forces me to the conclusion that these 3 Premiere Elements 13 projects no longer exist on your computer.

Why? I see no rational reason based on the information exchanged. I do not see how deletion of the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file or the whole 13.0 Folder in which it exists can cause this problem.

As for "Adobe having its own tech support line", Adobe has limited support opportunities for Premiere Elements, even the current version. And, those opportunities seem to include Activation and Return/Refund. The frequency of Adobe staff or its PRE_help in this forum is undefined. Other than that, Chat routes lead to "Ask the Community" which is us (user to user).

If you purchased Premiere Elements 13 as a download from Adobe direct and are within 30 days of purchase, you can contact Adobe Chat for a return/refund.

If you purchased elsewhere, then you contact the seller and are governed by the return/refund policy of the seller.

The Adobe Chat for Return/Refund

Contact Customer Care

Premiere Elements

Membership, Account, Payment

Payments, Invoices, Orders

Chat Panel

If the link does not hold its set, you will need to navigate to the Chat Panel using the above titles as guides.

If you do decide to continue with Premiere Elements 13 and rebuilt your projects, I would offer the following....

1.. For freezing and crashes, I would have looked at other factors first

a. did the problem exist with and without the anti-virus and firewall(s) disabled...are you working on a company

or school network?

b. is your video card/graphics card driver up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card?

c. do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed and are you running the programs as Administrator with an

Internet connection?

d. what is happening in the project when the freeze/crash hits - project details including project preset and properties

of source media.....

e. and more as the factors are factored in or out.

If you had done so previously, do the mini test run to make sure you can successfully save your project file as well as create

AutoSaves (Edit Menu/Preferences/AutoSave).

Adobe Premiere Elements Help | Saving and backing up projects

Please review and consider.

Thank you.

ATR

• 10. Re: missing works in progress files! help me recover my projects!
                            kristy8787 Level 1

thanks for taking time to try to help me, I am probably going to have to

start my projectS all over again but hopefully with a program that's

reliable. I am going to meet up with some people in person and try to

salvage files

• 11. Re: missing works in progress files! help me recover my projects!
                              kristy8787 Level 1

I just wanted to let you know that i found my files, apparently when my

program was crashing repeatedly (which it is still doing) it saved my video

projects in a file folder on my external hard drive for some reason,

On Sat, Mar 28, 2015 at 7:44 AM, Kristine Harmer <kristy8787@gmail.com>

• 12. Re: missing works in progress files! help me recover my projects!
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

kristy

Thanks for the update with the wonderful news that the products showed up and on an external hard drive.

I am surprised that location was not pointed to in all the settings for the Save In locations that we explored.

Did you find the project files themselves or the AutoSaves for the project or both? Maybe double check your

Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks to confirm where the different scratch disks are being saved.

Typically AutoSave goes with the project file. The project.file save is by default set by the Save In in the New Project dialog (File Menu/New/

Project).

If you want to pursue the causes of the crashes, we could go through the typical drill if you have not already

1. Does problem exist with and without the antivirus and firewall(s) disabled? Are you working in a school or company network where

its security programs might be impacting the program?

2. Working as administrator with QuickTime latest version installed?

3. Properties of source media that may have marginal support?

4. Computer resources and optimization of the computer?

5. Video card/graphics card driver version up to date according to web site of manufacturer of the card?

6. Pen and tablet being used in place of mouse?

7. Other

But, we are very glad that you have found those projects. Great job.

Best wishes

ATR

• 13. Re: missing works in progress files! help me recover my projects!
                                  kristy8787 Level 1

Yeah I got on the phone with a friend who uses premeire a bunch and he

helped me troubleshoot, when I originally downloaded the software I saved

it in the main folder of my external hard drive (because I have a solid

state drive laptop with limited disk space) I also find it strange that the

"auto save folder" did not include the foreign file path that the files

ended up getting transferred to.... they ended up in the "videos" folder of

my external hard drive, but I never put them there!

I will follow your instructions on trouble shooting the crashes and let you

know what I find out!

On Sun, Mar 29, 2015 at 10:41 AM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 14. Re: missing works in progress files! help me recover my projects!
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

kristy

Thanks for the additional information.

In the troubleshooting of the crashes, please keep in mind that the typical recommendation is to install the program to the default location

on Local Disk C. There may be problems if you do otherwise. Is the SSD the C drive and did you install the program other than there? Sounds like you did.

Although you can try to install the program to other than the default, some of the files/folders for the feature go to certain save location automatically (out of your control). Depending how the troubleshooting goes, you may want to uninstall and reinstall Premiere Elements to default Local Disk C.

We will be watching for your progress.

Thank you.

ATR