10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2015 9:07 AM by Peter Spier

Non-aligned horizontal columns

redbourn Level 1

Newbie stuff.

Please take a look at the image and let me know why the text isn't lining up.

------

I would also like to know how to swap the columns in CS 6 - if it's possible.

But maybe that you be a separate post?

Thanks

Michael

non-aligned headings.jpg

• 1. Re: Non-aligned horizontal columns
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

It may be impossible to tell without seeing the file, but we'll have a better chance if you turn on non-printing characters and select the frames so we can see the edges clearly, then post another screen shot.

• 2. Re: Non-aligned horizontal columns
            redbourn Level 1

Thanks so much. I am studying and promise not to be such a pest when I get the basics down.

show hidden characters.jpg

• 3. Re: Non-aligned horizontal columns
              Derek Cross Level 6

On a different matter – it's about "sign-posting". The name of the dish, "Chilli con carne", is the same size as the heading "ingredients" – it should be larger.

Presumably you'll have another subheading, the same size as "Ingredients", which states something like "Method" which has the preparation and cooking instructions.

Also, you're using InDesign like a typewriter for your text. I suggest  you use Paragraph (and character styles) and get rid of those carriage returns. Apart from being able to have subtler spacing, it will be vital if you decide to also produce an ePub edition. It will also help produce a TOC.

• 4. Re: Non-aligned horizontal columns

Common rookie mistake here.

You've used empty paragraphs to make blank space between paragraphs and at the top of the column. In this case the empties at the top use different type sizes.

The correct way to make space between paragraphs is with "space before" or "space after" or both. Space at the top of a column should be handled by adjustment to frame inset, first baseline setting, or adjusting the frame position/size. In this case, if you have other text you want to start at the tops of columns, but want the first heading to be sunken, consider defining the paragraph style (you absolutely NEED TO USE STYLES on a book project, so if you don't understand them, stop now and learn them before you dig yourself a hole that will be hard to climb out of) assigned to the headings with a larger leading value than normal and set the first baseline to Leading. This is only good if the headings are all on one line, however.

• 5. Re: Non-aligned horizontal columns
                  redbourn Level 1

Thanks for the comments.

Right now I'm just trying to get the basics of InDesign under my belt and aren't yet trying to put the book together.

Am reading InDesign tutorials and watching vids and am trying to apply them to a page.

I actually intend to use the same layout as in this image but don't yet know how to do it.

I don't know which are columns and which are frames.

Her book is 8.5 x 8.5 and mine will be too. Eventually ;-)

Michael

text-and-image.jpg

• 6. Re: Non-aligned horizontal columns
                    redbourn Level 1

Thanks.

I was reading about character and paragraphs styles until 3:00 a.m.  !!!

I originally placed the text from a .txt file.

Michael

"Never, ever, under any circumstances should you have more than one consecutive carriage return in your document !!!".

• 7. Re: Non-aligned horizontal columns
                      Derek Cross Level 6

That's pretty straight forward. I know you're learning – maybe you should take an online course such this at Lynda.

For example: Watch the Online Video Course InDesign CC Essential Training

Pay particular  attention to Master Pages and Paragraph and Character Styles.

By the way, before you settle on a page size, it might be worth you getting some prices. Presumably, you're only printing a few hundred copies – you may find that choosing a particular size is significantly cheaper to print.

• 8. Re: Non-aligned horizontal columns

The frame is the container for the text in ID. It can have a single column, or you can divide the into multiple columns that all share the same top and bottom boundary. Your earlier screen capture shows two, threaded, text frames, each with a single column. You could do the same layout with a single frame divided into two columns.

All columns in a multi-column frame must be the same width. The left page in the book above has what looks like 4 text frames, each with a single column. I think it is technically possible to do this all in ID in a single multi-column frame using the Span Columns feature and paragraph indents, though I wouldn't suggest it.

• 9. Re: Non-aligned horizontal columns
                          redbourn Level 1

How about using six text frames for the left-hand layout in the image?

Michael

• 10. Re: Non-aligned horizontal columns

Counting the footer, which really should be on the master page so I didn't count it previously, I see five: Intro text at the top running from the inside margin to halfway into the left column, Headline (two lines, with a right-aligned or right indent tab on the second line) spanning the page width, Ingredients in the left column, a large frame with descriptive content across what might be laid out as a two-column width, and the footer.