3 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2006 1:02 PM by 12345xy

ERROR MESSAGE  Can't open file in DW8

12345xy
      After downloading Dreamweaver 8 trial version. Download was sucessful. Installation was successful. I opened the program to proceed to build a webpage. I was able to open a HTML file. and I was UNABLE to open any image file... I attempt to open jpg file... I get error message saying Dreamweaver can't open jpg file Please open HTML, XML or other compatible files. When I attempted to open a gif file ... another error message same but for gif in place of jpg. I checked the other programs and other programs did not have the same problem. I was able to open file from Internet Explorer or WS FTP. but NOT in Dreamweaver. IT is the only program that I am not able to open ANY of the image files. I am not able to continue to evaluate this version before deciding whether it is what I would like to order. I have heard many good things about it so I wanted to give it a try but no... I did not get a good start. I need advise what to do about it. Thank you. A quick reply will be greatly appreciated.
        • 1. Re: ERROR MESSAGE  Can't open file in DW8
          Level 7
          Are you trying to open a .jpg file directly in Dreamweaver? Or are you
          trying to insert an image into your page?

Dreamweaver is not an image editor so the former would not work.

--
          Nancy Gill
          Adobe Community Expert
          BLOG: http://www.dmxwishes.com/blog.asp
          Author: Dreamweaver 8 e-book for the DMX Zone
          Co-Author: Dreamweaver MX: Instant Troubleshooter (August, 2003)
          Technical Editor: DMX 2004: The Complete Reference, DMX 2004: A Beginner's
          Guide, Mastering Macromedia Contribute
          Technical Reviewer: Dynamic Dreamweaver MX/DMX: Advanced PHP Web Development

"12345xy" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:e3vot6$hnq$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > After downloading Dreamweaver 8 trial version. Download was
          > sucessful.
          > Installation was successful. I opened the program to proceed to build a
          > webpage. I was able to open a HTML file. and I was UNABLE to open any
          > image
          > file... I attempt to open jpg file... I get error message saying
          > Dreamweaver
          > can't open jpg file Please open HTML, XML or other compatible files. When
          > I
          > attempted to open a gif file ... another error message same but for gif in
          > place of jpg. I checked the other programs and other programs did not have
          > the
          > same problem. I was able to open file from Internet Explorer or WS FTP.
          > but
          > NOT in Dreamweaver. IT is the only program that I am not able to open ANY
          > of
          > the image files. I am not able to continue to evaluate this version
          > before
          > deciding whether it is what I would like to order. I have heard many good
          > things about it so I wanted to give it a try but no... I did not get a
          > good
          > start. I need advise what to do about it. Thank you. A quick reply will
          > be
          > greatly appreciated.
          >

• 2. Re: ERROR MESSAGE  Can't open file in DW8
            Level 7

> I attempt to open jpg file

You can't use File-->Open to open image files; dreamweaver is not an image
            editor.

You can Insert-->Image to place an image file into an html document.

If you want to open images to work on them, use an image editor like
            Fireworks or Photoshop or any of the hundreds of others.

• 3. Re: ERROR MESSAGE  Can't open file in DW8
              12345xy Level 1
              Thank you Nancy and Alan

I must admit I feel silly. I am not a techie I did not go into the program far enough. I needed to create a new or open an HTML file and then insert image inside the dreamweaver on the designer property area... but your response caused me to realize... I knew dreamweaver was not image editor so it did not recognize jpg or gif until I have the HTML or other compatible files on the designer interface! Thanks again have a great day