11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 22, 2007 6:33 PM by Deaf Web Designer

Fireworks RGB to CMYK?

covenant2
      I’ve recently completed the design of a postcard and poster for print with Fireworks MX 2004. After speaking with the printer I’ve now discovered that they only accept CMYK files. Fireworks, as far as I can tell, only outputs to RGB. Is this true? I’m not sure. If this is the case is there a way to convert to CMYK within Fireworks? And how would I do this.

David

• 1. Re: Fireworks RGB to CMYK?
          Level 7
          David,

That is correct, Fireworks does not support CMYK -

covenant2 wrote:
          > I?ve recently completed the design of a postcard and poster for print with
          > Fireworks MX 2004. After speaking with the printer I?ve now discovered that
          > they only accept CMYK files. Fireworks, as far as I can tell, only outputs to
          > RGB. Is this true? I?m not sure. If this is the case is there a way to convert
          > to CMYK within Fireworks? And how would I do this.
          >
          > David
          >
          >
          >
          >
          • 2. Re: Fireworks RGB to CMYK?
            covenant2 Level 1
            One more question. What if I import the native Fireworks file into Acrobat 6.0 Pro. and it make a PDF. Is it possible to import a PNG file to PDF with CMYK output?

David

• 3. Re: Fireworks RGB to CMYK?
              Level 1
              It should. Did you give it a try yet, no?
              • 4. Re: Fireworks RGB to CMYK?
                covenant2 Level 1
                Not yet but I'll let you know how I make out.

Thanks for the response!

David
                • 5. Re: Fireworks RGB to CMYK?
                  Level 7
                  > Fireworks MX 2004. After speaking with the printer I?ve now discovered
                  > that
                  > they only accept CMYK files. Fireworks, as far as I can tell, only outputs
                  > to
                  > RGB. Is this true? I?m not sure. If this is the case is there a way to
                  > convert

Your PDF method would work, but I'd suggest finding a new printer, as a
                  decent one wouldn't have any proiblem with a RGB file.

THAT SAID, FW is really designed for on screen images. If this is a
                  postcard, you need to make sure it was designed at a high enough resolution
                  for print. You also have no control over trapping/overprinting and the like
                  so that might be an issue as well.

-Darrel

• 6. Re: Fireworks RGB to CMYK?
                    Level 7
                    covenant2 wrote:
                    > Fireworks MX 2004. After speaking with the printer I?ve now discovered that
                    > they only accept CMYK files. Fireworks, as far as I can tell, only outputs to
                    > RGB. Is this true? I?m not sure. If this is the case is there a way to convert

There is no way to convert to CMYK within Fireworks and you really
                    should not be using it for print work. That is not at all what Fireworks
                    was designed for. If I were you I would recreate the postcard and poster
                    in a suitable app like Illustrator, InDesign or FreeHand.

--
                    Stéphane Bergeron
                    reach:connect:communicate
                    www.webfocusdesign.com
                    blog:tutorials:articles:gallery
                    www.pixelyzed.com
                    • 7. Re: Fireworks RGB to CMYK?
                      covenant2 Level 1
                      Here is the latest. As you know I did the original design in FW MX 04. But I was able to get Photoshop CS2 for the conversion and the conversion was made in that application. PS CS2 exports to its on PDF version for print. It is already submitted to the printer and I am waiting to hear from them. The conversion from RGB to CMYK was very simple in Photoshop CS2. Just a matter of clicking on CMYK in the Image drop down menu. The proof will be in the pudding so to speak. I'll post the results here.

What I have learned from all this, at least what some designers feel, is that before submitting design work for print it should be done in RGB and then converted to CMYK. And if any minor adjustments need to be made preflight it can be done in the final CMYK editable PDF format. More and more work is being done in RGB because the newer technology (cameras and software) is outputting more and more to RGB format but most printers dont' like it because of problems they don't really want to deal with in terms of color correctness.

I'll update this thread as I learn more from my printer.

David
                      • 8. Re: Fireworks RGB to CMYK?
                        Level 7
                        On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 04:04:56 +0300, covenant2
                        <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote:

> Here is the latest. As you know I did the original design in FW MX 04.
                        > But I
                        > was able to get Photoshop CS2 for the conversion and the conversion was
                        > made in
                        > that application. PS CS2 exports to its on PDF version for print. It is
                        > already
                        > submitted to the printer and I am waiting to hear from them. The
                        > conversion
                        > from RGB to CMYK was very simple in Photoshop CS2. Just a matter of
                        > clicking on
                        > CMYK in the Image drop down menu.

The only problem with this conversion is specifying appropriate color
                        separation settings in PS.

> What I have learned from all this, at least what some designers feel, is
                        > that
                        > before submitting design work for print it should be done in RGB and then
                        > converted to CMYK. And if any minor adjustments need to be made
                        > preflight it
                        > can be done in the final CMYK editable PDF format.

Actually it's quite often desirable to do things in CMYK in the first
                        place. However, in quite many cases you will be lucky with starting in RGB
                        than converting to CMYK, that's true. If your printer allows wide gamut
                        and calibration is good, starting with RGB wouldn't cause noticeable
                        problems.

--
                        Ilya Razmanov
                        http://photoshop.msk.ru - Photoshop plug-in filters
                        • 9. Re: Fireworks RGB to CMYK?
                          Level 7
                          > What I have learned from all this, at least what some designers feel, is
                          > that
                          > before submitting design work for print it should be done in RGB and then
                          > converted to CMYK.

I'm sure some feel that way. Others don't.

Keep in mind that CMYK and RGB color spaces are quite different. Both can
                          produce colors that the other can't. So, no matter what, converting always
                          has the potential of shifting your colors in unexpected ways.

FYI, you're not really submitting an 'editable' PDF in this case. It's
                          really just a giant image that happens to be stuck in a PDF. That means the
                          printer may not have the same amount of options to tweak things like
                          overprinting, bleed and trapping.

-Darrel

• 10. Re: Fireworks RGB to CMYK?
                            covenant2 Level 1
                            I just got my hard copy proofs back from the printer and they really turned out great. I did the initial design, as stated earlier, in Fireworks MX 2004 300 Dpi. I converted the FW RGB PNG file to a PSD file right within FW. I imported the PSD file into Photoshop CS2 and made some adjustments to the file before converting the RGB file to CMYK. I converted the PS file to a PDF file within PS and sent it to the printer. UV coated hard copy proofs turned out crystal clear as far as anyone can tell with the naked eye.

In case you are wondering why I didn't do all the work in PS CS2 its because I just got it and don't know it as well as FW. Some of the effects created in FW I don't know how to do in PS CS2 yet.

Anyway, I got the results I wanted. Thanks for all of your suggestions and comments. You've all been helpful.

David
                            • 11. Fireworks RGB to CMYK?
                              Level 1
                              David,

I am glad that you got it all figured it out and sort out. But please try to understand that Fireworks is *not* ideally designed for high-end professional-quality printing enviornment. Fireworks is specifically designed for *web* images and basic graphic toward to web use.

As you figure this out, you could do that with Photoshop, or even Illustrator. However, you would probably find all of these task performed quite nicely with Adobe InDesign.

Kinda of off-topic, but it relates to your situation and perhaps that it will save some of your time and money in the future as well... If you do lot of printing-related materials around Photoshop or Firework (if that is the case for you doing this regularly... not ideally workflow doing that again and again.) You will find that a nice workflow from Photoshop or Illustrator flies into InDesign and you can do awesome beautiful transformation and performs whatever tasks that you want it to be done around InDesign, it can be done. There is, in fact, lot of things, techniques and printing technology are avaliable right there on the spot inside InDesign, while FW don't have all of these top-notch printing technologies such as PPI, high-end resolution and all that sort of thing like that.

Just thought a suggestion about InDesign. It is up to you, but I don't know if you work often with print work often, do you?