gotoAndStop DOES NOT WORK

Flashshiiit Level 1
      Frame 1, the movie has this code

on (release)
      {
      trace("this will fire");
      gotoAndStop(2);
      }

IT WILL NOT GO TO FRAME 2. Even if I use a label, "2" or 2.

Cut-n-past the frame from another FLA file, it works.

WTF ADOBE. FIX YOUR SHIIIIIIIIIT.

• 1. Re: gotoAndStop DOES NOT WORK
          MotionMaker Level 1
          _root.gotoAndStop(2) is probably what you want.

If you just use gotoAndStop() it assumes this.gotoAndStop() and for what you are doing the code in on a Button symbol and thus trying to go to frame 2 of the Button which is not allowed for Button symbols.

Also if you could delete your handle and select something less offensive it would be appreciated by the professionals helping out in this forum.
          • 2. Re: gotoAndStop DOES NOT WORK
            Flashshiiit Level 1
            thanks, that's it.

if only Flash had real scoping, it might not suck to develop for. Oh wait, it doens't have error handling, intellisense, you can't see more than one page of code at once, it's not really OO, debugging is a pain at best, it can easily be decompiled, you can easily find small items on the stage, etc. etc.
            • 3. Re: gotoAndStop DOES NOT WORK
              Peter Lorent Level 2
              Hmmm, are you in any way forced to work with Flash? Use one of the other great programs that are out there. Oops, there aren't. Bugger ain't it.
              • 4. Re: gotoAndStop DOES NOT WORK
                Sketchsta Level 1
                lol @ LuigiL

true, true!!!

and as for you Flashs#!!!!t, just because you couldn't get one simple piece of code to work, doesn't make Flash s#!t...
                Flash is BY FAR one of the BEST programs available, all you need is abit of time to learn it..
                • 5. Re: gotoAndStop DOES NOT WORK
                  ggshow Level 2
                  Flashshiiit :
                  We use flash, we know every single line of code we write, we don't rely too much on code helper, and we don't sh*t around the place where we shouldn't. No matter who the sh*t you are, what the sh*t you do, please do not sh*t at this user-to-user discussions forum. Please take back your sh*t, change your sh*tting display name, so people here still willing to help you. Thank you.
                  • 6. Re: gotoAndStop DOES NOT WORK
                    Level 7
                    It always amuses me to see people who upon not being able to do really basic
                    stuff in Flash immediately assume there is a major bug in Flash that perhaps
                    no one else has noticed yet, rather than thinking that *perhaps* they are
                    doing something wrong...

--
                    -------------------------------
                    Remove '_spamkiller_' to mail

• 7. gotoAndStop DOES NOT WORK
                      Jan-Paul K. Level 1
                      @ Flashshiiit
                      "Oh wait, it doens't have error handling, intellisense, you can't see more than one page of code at once, it's not really OO, debugging is a pain at best, it can easily be decompiled, you can easily find small items on the stage, etc. etc."

What a an attitude is that? If you don't like flash, don't use it.

You sound as if you are some kind of wannabe developer who is (or would like to be) familiar with OOP. So you might get a little bit depper into AS2 and AS3 to see that flash definetely supports OOP (at least before you compile it).

The funny thing is, that your problem occured because you do not seem to be familiar with OOP and different scopes, since you are calling a mehtod on the wrong object instance.

When talking about error-handling I am not quite sure if you know if we are talking about the same thing, but flash supports try/catch clauses and the throw statement, so what excately are you missing when talking about error-handling?

Regarding the debugging flash supports a build in debugger which is not perferct but working quite well. If you don't like it just use one the OS or commercial debuggers for flash that are out there on the internet.

When it comes to decompiling I wonder which programming language you are using that can not be decompiled? I guess there is a decompiler for almost every language. If you are using a code obfuscator in flash, debugging will get a lot harder.

if you don't like the flash "IDE" to write AS Code, why not get another IDE like Eclipse with AS-Plugin or some of the commercial IDEs for AS (which support intellisense as well)?

Maybe you should at least try to understand a technology before calling it "******" or whatever.

I by myself am not completely satisfied with Flash as an IDE, but it gets better with every version and if you are using third party Tools (which are mostly available as OS) you can seriously start developing complex apps in flash even in larger teams.
                      • 8. Re: gotoAndStop DOES NOT WORK
                        rayden_chan Level 1
                        Flashshiiit :
                        You are weak and incompetent..
                        When u read this, u are either a Flash noob or just a bug that love to F**K around without using ur brain to analyze the situation.
                        Next round before you judge a software, try to do more homework.
                        • 9. Re: gotoAndStop DOES NOT WORK
                          Bj_flash Level 1
                          I assume you all read this post because you are looking for your own solutions to a hopelessly lame gotoAndStop function, as did I.
                          • 10. Re: gotoAndStop DOES NOT WORK
                            Level 7
                            > I assume you all read this post because you are looking for your own
                            solutions to a hopelessly lame gotoAndStop function, as did I.

Nah. It was because I was looking for a solution to hopelessly lame posts ;)

--
                            Remove '_spamkiller_' to mail

• 11. Re: gotoAndStop DOES NOT WORK
                              Peter Lorent Level 2
                              pa·thet·ic

Let's ignore this thread from now on.
                              • 12. Re: gotoAndStop DOES NOT WORK
                                Marghoob Suleman Level 1
                                i think he got his answer... :) lots ooooooooooof niiiiiiiiiiiiiice commmmmments.... :))
                                • 13. Re: gotoAndStop DOES NOT WORK
                                  rayden_chan Level 1
                                  perhaps all he need to do is more reading and less ********
                                  that would help him improve.