3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2007 8:12 AM by Peter Lorent

How To: Set Loading % Increases

BluBarry
      Call me Dumb or Crazy but I'm lost with this application. Ok I went ahead and Upgraded to F8 today and I love the look as compared to F5. So I have this product that I'm going to Embed into my Html Doc which also has an Audio File. I need to preload the Audio File when someone goes to my URL. I don't completely understand this function but one thing I'd like to understand. --> Whenever you visit a Site that needs to Load something, you typically see some sort of Buffering text with the percentage numbers increasing starting from 1% up to 100% before the Vid or Audio starts. How is this done? Is there some sort ActionScript that enables the numbers to increase or do you painstakingly place numbers in the Timeline one at a time? Well of course I know that's not the way to do it, but how do you do it?

• 1. Re: How To: Set Loading % Increases
          Peter Lorent Level 2
          For most of the things you load, the Flash classes provide methods like getBytesLoaded(), getBytesTotal(). For a movieclip (since you are using Flash 8) you can use the MovieClipLoader Class which makes usage of a preloader extremely easy. To get more info hit F1 in Flash and search for 'sound', 'netstream', 'flvplayback'. Find the classes and there you will find info on the provided methods.
          • 2. How To: Set Loading % Increases
            BluBarry Level 1
            quote:

Originally posted by: LuigiL
            For most of the things you load, the Flash classes provide methods like getBytesLoaded(), getBytesTotal(). For a movieclip (since you are using Flash 8) you can use the MovieClipLoader Class which makes usage of a preloader extremely easy. To get more info hit F1 in Flash and search for 'sound', 'netstream', 'flvplayback'. Find the classes and there you will find info on the provided methods.

Luigit ~ It appears you've pointed me in the right direction although I find it amazing how one thing always tends to lead to another. Reading the information in the Help Files and given it seems as though my solution is contained in this array of explanations, it references other topics that I know little to nothing about.

When I consider what I know how to do in Flash compared to what there is to know, it's mind boggling. In order to produce great looking Flash Presentations, where do you start? Oh I don't want you to answer that but I simply mean, I sometimes think if I get some basic knowledge of Programming, maybe that will increase my abilities in Flash but then I think, how far back does one need to go? Simply making an object move across your Stage is equal to the advent of the wheel.
            There are Classes Macromedia holds but I often believe in order to attend these classes, you need to bring some level of intermediate knowledge of programming to the table before you even sigh up or you're going to be lost starting.day one.

I'm familiar with Html & js and I would have thought that would be enough to have a firm grip on what is being presented. But as I read these help files, I'm having problems understanding what is being told to me. There's a language that I do not understand and if I can't understand it, relying on cut & paste isn't gonna cut it.

Thank You very much .. what I did get from the suggestion you provided was, this is exactly what I'm talking about but making it happen is going to be much harder than I realized (for me that is).

• 3. Re: How To: Set Loading % Increases
              Peter Lorent Level 2
              Flash can be mind boggling because it's a very powerful program. There is only one way to learn to work with it: just do it - like 24/7. And don't even think you can stop reading, learning, experimenting.... or you fall behind hopelessly.