4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2015 3:04 PM by johnrellis

I can't delete a keyword plus Lightroom now automatically displays keyword folders

Shield_London

Lightroom has suddenly started behaving oddly with regard to keywords and I can't seem to find reference to it anywhere, even if it is "switch" that I have accidentally turned on.

In my set up, I have, for example, the keyword "Portrait" stored under a keyword folder "Photographic styles".  Normally only the word "Portrait" appears within the keyword box and that's how I want it, but recently whichever keyword I type, the containing folder pops up alongside it.  Note, this isn't during an export of a file, this is actually whilst keyboarding a photograph with the Library section of LR.

Secondly, I can no longer delete a keyword by highlighting it with the keyword box in Library so, unless that word is still within the Recently Used collection of words where I can can un-highlight it, I can't remove a highlight from a photograph at all.

Have I changed a setting by mistake or is there something market going on?

Many thanks in advance for your help,

Martin

• 1. Re: I can't delete a keyword plus Lightroom now automatically displays keyword folders
          johnrellis Most Valuable Participant
          Normally only the word "Portrait" appears within the keyword box and that's how I want it, but recently whichever keyword I type, the containing folder pops up alongside it.  Note, this isn't during an export of a file, this is actually whilst keyboarding a photograph with the Library section of LR.

It sounds like you created a top-level keyword "Portrait", so now you have two top-level keywords, "Portrait" and "Photographic styles", and you also have a child keyword "Photographic styles > Portrait".  (Note that the usual terminology is to call "Photographic sytles" a parent keyword, rather than a folder, since it is also a keyword.)

When your Keyword List has more than one keyword whose leaf names are the same, then LR will include the parent name of the child keyword to remove ambiguity:

Screen Shot 2015-03-28 at 9.55.53 AM.png

To replace the top-level keyword "Portrait" by the child keyword "Photographic styles > Portrait", follow these steps:

1. In the Keyword List panel, hover the mouse on the right edge of the line containing the top-level keyword Portrait, until you see a right arrow appear:

Screen Shot 2015-03-28 at 10.05.07 AM.png

Click on that right arrow, and all the pics containing the top-level "Portrait" will be shown in grid view.

2. Select all those pics by doing Cmd-A (Mac) or Ctrl-A (Windows).

3. In the Keyword List panel, hover the mouse over the left edge of the line containing the child keyword "Photographic styles > Portrait".  A check box will appear:

Screen Shot 2015-03-28 at 10.09.57 AM.png

Click on the check box and a checkmark will appear, indicating the child keyword is now assigned to all the selected photos.

4. In the Keyword List, right-click the top-level keyword "Portrait" and select Delete:

Screen Shot 2015-03-28 at 10.19.48 AM.png

• 2. Re: I can't delete a keyword plus Lightroom now automatically displays keyword folders
            Shield_London Level 1

Hi John,

Many thanks for your quick reply.  Yes, I had thought of exactly the scenario you mentioned but this is not the case.  This is now happening with every keyword and they do not appear as parent keywords.  I even looked back at some photographs taken years ago and now they all suddenly have the keywords and parent keywords listed in the keyword panel!  Very bizarre to my mind.

Any thoughts on why I can no longer highlight any keywords within the Keyword panel in order to delete them?  I's beginning to suspect a corrupted LR module but it seems a very specific for of corruption if that is the case.

Many thanks,

Martin

• 3. Re: I can't delete a keyword plus Lightroom now automatically displays keyword folders
              Shield_London Level 1

Hi again John,

In the seconds after I wrote my last message I reopened LR again and cracked it!  It was as simple as my accidentally switching the small dropdown box just above the keyword panel to "Keywords and containing keywords".  It should have been on "Enter keywords".  This is not a feature I have ever used and didn't realise I had even switched it.

All is now back to normal.  Very sorry to have wasted your time but many thanks again for your help.

Martin