10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2015 11:42 AM by JoeKostoss

XMP Data

brittanyc16815728

I'm trying to upload pictures to another site but it keep saying xmp data is too big. How can I resize my image in lightroom to get the xmp data down? I don't know what to do.

• 1. Re: XMP Data
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Websites normally don't accept raw files. I always export reduced size JPEG copies and post those. Maybe this is too basic and you are doing something that I'm not familiar with.

• 2. Re: XMP Data
            johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

What's the site and what's the exact error message?

• 3. Re: XMP Data
              brittanyc16815728 Level 1

When I try to upload it says..

XMP data file is too big. It needs to be less than 65503 pixels or something of that nature

• 4. Re: XMP Data

Hmm, it would really help to have the exact message and the Web site to know what the problem is.  "Pixels" could mean something completely different than "bytes".

• 5. Re: XMP Data

Also, are you upload a raw, a JPEG, or a TIFF?

• 6. Re: XMP Data

It says bytes and I'm uploading jpeg and tiff

• 7. Re: XMP Data

OK, that's closer.  But I still need the exact message to be helpful -- seemingly minor details could make all the difference.  And which site?

• 8. Re: XMP Data

That's the exact message "XMP data file is too big. It needs to be less than 65503 bytes"

I'm uploading my images to Stratus (Studio Plus photography system)

• 9. Re: XMP Data

Google doesn't find any occurrences of that error message (including at studioplussoftware.com).  "XMP" refers to metadata stored with the photo, and it can either be stored inside the JPEG or TIFF file (the usual case with those types) or in a .xmp "sidecar" file, which is usually used for raw photos.  Software generally doesn't impose any practical limit on XMP metadata, especially a very small limit of 65503 bytes.   And LR doesn't generate .xmp sidecar files for JPEGs or TIFFs -- it stores the XMP metadata inside the .jpg or .tiff files.   So if Stratus is complaining about an "XMP data file" that is too big, either that error message is very badly worded or something unrelated to LR itself is going on.

As an experiment, you could try stripping out all metadata when you export a JPEG or TIFF from LR.  In the Export window, in the Metadata section near the bottom, select Include: Copyright Only:

Untitled.png

But given that the error messages mentions "XMP data file" and LR doesn't generate .xmp sidecar files, this may not have any effect.  

If it doesn't, I suggest you try StudioPlus support.

• 10. Re: XMP Data
                            JoeKostoss Level 4

brittanyc16815728 wrote:

It says bytes and I'm uploading jpeg and tiff

If your jpeg or tiff really does have an xmp sidecar file, you should be able to see it on a pc by changing your folder view preferences to allow hidden files to be seen.  Go to the folder where the jpeg file is stored; the xmp file will be next to the jpeg; it will have the same name as the jpeg, but with an xmp extension.