3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2015 9:31 AM by nosegays

Syntax Check Option not in Actions Panel

nosegays Level 1

Hello. I was looking for a syntax check option for actionscript 3.0 in my Actions Panel but couldn't find one. Would someone be able to verify my research here, as I believe this article adequately coincides with my query: Adobe Flash Professional * actionsPanel.setScriptAssistMode() - dropped

Screen Shot 2015-03-28 at 1.20.01 PM.png

• 1. Re: Syntax Check Option not in Actions Panel
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I could be wrong but I don't know that there ever was a syntax check feature.  The Script Assist feature is something else as far as I know... it was basically a tool for people who had a low threshold for dealing with Actionscript coding and preferred to let the software try to prepare their code for them.  

If you try to compile an AS3 file and there are any syntax errors the compiler error panel will almost definitely identify all errors, syntax and beyond.  That is one thing that the AS3 compiler is quite good at, especially compared to any of its predecessors.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Syntax Check Option not in Actions Panel
            nosegays Level 1

Thanks for your help. Hm. I did find a compiler errors panel and some instructions in the Flash CC user guide that explain how to give it a focus (whatever that means), as would involve clicking in the actions pane. However, it shows no errors even when I try to screw up the script. The guide lists this as one of the ways to check syntax, while the other just doesn't exist. And, in reference to what you're calling Script Assist (please correct me if I'm wrong), it seems like they're calling it something else, code hints, which I can't find in Preferences to enable or disable if I wanted to.Screen Shot 2015-03-30 at 10.54.41 AM.pngScreen Shot 2015-03-30 at 10.40.08 AM.pngScreen Shot 2015-03-30 at 10.39.00 AM.png

• 3. Re: Syntax Check Option not in Actions Panel
              nosegays Level 1

Never mind. I'm fooling around with Flash and didn't realize I had to test the movie to get the code errorsl