10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 30, 2015 7:04 AM by A.T. Romano

How do I create a split screen video in Premiere elements 13

TomWolves

Is there a video out there where I can see how to create a " Split screen video?" Thank you

• 1. Re: How do I create a split screen video in Premiere elements 13
          A.T. Romano Level 7

TomWolves

On what computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 13 running?

Assuming Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit...

Your basic tools to achieve your goal are Crop Video Effect and Horizontal Flip Video Effect.

Expert workspace

Video ONE on video track 1.

Video TWO on video track 2, directly above Video ONE.

Highlight Video ONE on video track 1, fx Effects Tab/Transform/Crop, followed by editing the crop under Applied Effects Tab/Applied Effects Palette/Crop Panel expanded so that Video ONE occupies the left half of the screen.

Do the same for Video TWO on video track 2, fx Effects Tab/Transform/Crop etc. so that Video TWO occupies the right half of the screen. BUT end with fx Effects/Transform Horizontal Flip.

Highlight the video on either side to make adjusts in the Applied Effects Palette and appropriate Panel (position, cropping, etc). But, remember that, if you make changes in the "flipped" right side of the screen, Applied Effects Palette/Crop Panel, right option will be for left and left option will be for right.

Please try that in a mini test run to see if that works for you with your Split Screen effect.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: How do I create a split screen video in Premiere elements 13
            TomWolves Level 1

Thank you sir, I will have to give that a try.

• 3. Re: How do I create a split screen video in Premiere elements 13
              TomWolves Level 1

A.T. thanks for all your help, but where is the “Crop Video Effect and Horizontal Flip Video Effect” button? I looked and I can not see this. I know I am a rooky. I tried to find a video on the subject but I can not find any. Thanks again!

Sent from Windows Mail

• 4. Re: How do I create a split screen video in Premiere elements 13
                A.T. Romano Level 7

TomWolves

Thanks for the follow up.

You are going to open Premiere Elements 13 to its Expert workspace.

Then look to the bottom right of the Expert workspace to see the fx Effects Tab which you click on to view the effects categories.

Scroll down the fx Effects choices until you get to Transform. Under transform are the Crop effect choice and the Horizontal Flip choice.

FindCrop.JPG

Is the above what you could not locate?

Then as per the instructions, click and drag from the thumbnail for Crop or Horizontal Flip into the clips on

Video 1 and 2 as indicated in instructions.

If you were referring to something else, please give more details.

Thank you.

ATR

• 5. Re: How do I create a split screen video in Premiere elements 13
                  TomWolves Level 1

Okay! got it, except video one was under video 2 and I couldn’t get video one to show on top. Thank you A.T. Romano for helping me get this far. It is complicated to a newbie.

Sent from Windows Mail

• 6. Re: How do I create a split screen video in Premiere elements 13
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

TW

Do not give up.

Tomorrow morning I will put together steps for you to follow with screenshots.

In the meanwhile you might want to practice cropping just the video on Video Track 1 so that is showing 50% on the left of the screen.

Also, if you are not working with Safety Margins on, please do so by right clicking the Edit area monitor, selecting Safety Margins. Then use the Safety Margins markings to guide you in your 50% selection.

More later.

ATR

• 7. Re: How do I create a split screen video in Premiere elements 13
                      TomWolves Level 1

Well I tried one and when I played it back on my computer one video on one side was larger than the other, but in the software the video ‘s looked even. I think I messed up when I did motion or something like that. here is a Screen shot of my video playing on the computer. It looks bad uneven amateur, Oh that's right I am…. lol

Sent from Windows Mail

• 8. Re: How do I create a split screen video in Premiere elements 13
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

TW

You are in expert in the making. Please keep that positive thought.

The screenshot did not post. If you have not posted one of them before, please review the following for guidelines...I use jpg screenshots.

The specified item was not found.

Sounds like you are making progress. I will revisit your thread tomorrow.

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR

• 9. Re: How do I create a split screen video in Premiere elements 13
                          TomWolves Level 1

Okay A.T. Romano I will try this, I was posting the screenshot from my email it says I can't do that, to go to the forum post. I think this worked.Again thank you for your help.SplitScreen shot01.JPG

• 10. Re: How do I create a split screen video in Premiere elements 13
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

TW

Looking good. Quick message for now.

Select the Timeline file that represents the right side, go to the Crop settings (Applied Effects Tab/Applied Effects Palette/Crop Panel expanded, and

adjust the slider named Top.and/or Bottom.

You can also integrate Scaling and Positioning into the workflow. Applied Effects Tab/Applied Effects Palette/Motion Panel expanded and its Scale and Position

properties.

ATR