6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 30, 2015 1:42 PM by Bill Gehrke

How to split Hard disk's for better performance

Yousifayad

Good evening

I have a question what is the best way to partition hard drives

To get a good performance for 4K video

i have this gear

Cpu intel i73960x, Motherboerd Asus SABERTOOTH X79, Ram 1600 ddr3 64Gb, nvidia quadro 6000,

1X intel 300 gb SSD(w/r 500/400), 1x 120gb ssd ocz(w.r 500/500), 1x Mushkin Scorpion Deluxe PCIe SSD 480 GB(w/r 1960/2160), and 2x hhd 4tb

My question no one used to OS,Programs,Pagefile,Media Cache,Media,Projects,Previews,Exports

Thanks in advance

• 2. Re: How to split Hard disk's for better performance
          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You cannot improve performance by partitioning a drive.  Disk drives cannot do two things at the same time because there is only one interface path in and out.  Partitioning will actually slow down performance because you are adding a new level software to decide which partition you have to access.  Use more physical drives or faster (SSD's) drives 

• 3. Re: How to split Hard disk's for better performance
            Yousifayad Level 1

Thank you guys for the answer  but my question is   i have  I own three pieces of ssd's  one of them the   Mushkin Scorpion Deluxe PCIe SSD 480 GB(w/r 1960/2160),  ,, I would like to know which department needs greater speed of the disk  so i can use faster SSD  that i have  PCIe-SSD  i mean used to OS,Programs, or Pagefile,Media Cache,Media,Projects,Previews,Exports ets..

ihope you can understand what I mean .. my English is not good so I can express better

thanks

• 4. Re: How to split Hard disk's for better performance
              JFPhoton Level 3

...that drive is so fast you can put EVERYTHING on it !!..however, you will soon run out of space !! Too bad there is no 20 TB version !!....yet!  Be aware that in video editing machines Samsung 850 Pro series and Crucial M550s, ( which are cheaper),  are recommended......many others are NOT because of Sandforce controllers, TLC memory instead of the more reliable MLC, and the inability to handle "incompressible data" well, ( which digital video IS ). The new PCI SSDs do run HOT.....I have seen where it is recommended to use them in an adapter which contains a heat sink to keep it cool.....maybe the reliability is affected if it is run at a high temperature all the time.

• 6. Re: How to split Hard disk's for better performance
                Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

JFPhoton wrote:

The new PCI SSDs do run HOT.....I have seen where it is recommended to use them in an adapter which contains a heat sink to keep it cool.....maybe the reliability is affected if it is run at a high temperature all the time.

I have just run an experiment with my three m.2 SSD's.  I have 2 Samsung one is the XP941 and the other is the newer hard to find SM951 and then I have a Plextor M6e PX-AG256M6e PCI-E 256 GB PCI-Express 2.0 x2 which is a PCIe card.  I was going by the finger test on these devices and did not really have any burned fingers, but that turns out to be a bad test.  Below is a open bench (no case) test with my x99 ambient of about 25° C, notice the idling temperature of the MZHPV512....SSD of 41° C and be aware that the maximum rating is 50° C

Here is the same situation after I mounted a small 50 mm fan (from a memory cooler assembly) over the SM951

Note, only 30° C after about 10 minutes of running.  Since the m.2 socket is right next to the X99 chip notice the 8° C drop in this chip with that fan partially over it also!

Here is where I got the 50° C maximum operating temperature, under the S.M.A. R.T. listing below