27 Replies Latest reply on Mar 25, 2007 10:49 PM by dagarrat

problems creating custom themes

Level 1
      I don't understand how kuler works for any serious color theme creation, and am really hoping for some instruction here. I get how you can add in a single color and get it to generate themes based on color rules for you. I also get how you can drag around the little circles at will. What I don't get is how you can generate a theme based on color rules, but then change one of the colors by typing in a new hex value or RGB values for it. I know you could drag its circle around independently from the other circles, but that's too imprecise for me. Is there any way to do this?

The reason I need to do this is because I have a two color logo that I am trying to create a theme based on. I can add the first color from the logo as the base color, and have kuler generate a color scheme based on a color rule. Then, when I have the scheme as I like it, but just want to change one of the colors to the second color from the logo, I click on "custom" and then input my second hex value in the second box. But when I do this, it makes this color the base color and changes all the other colors, including my original base color, to comply with the last color rule that I clicked on. This makes no sense to me, as I'm not currently on that color rule, but am instead on "custom." It's extremely frustrating.

Is there no way to manually input more than one color? Is there no way to "pin" colors?
        • 1. Re: problems creating custom themes
          Sami@Adobe Adobe Employee
          Hi Zoe,
          That must be frustrating... I'm not sure why Custom isn't allowing you the freedom you should have.

I tried the steps you did:
          1. Made a theme (in this case based on compound rule).
          2. Selected Custom.
          3. Changed the value of the second color using Hex value.
          4. The second color changed but the others stayed the same.

Hmm... can you give me browser and OS info? I'll see if QA can reproduce it.
          Currently you can't "pin" a color, if we can figure this out hopefully you won't need to.

Sami
          • 2. Re: problems creating custom themes
            Level 7
            I've also been getting a similar problem.

If I set it to custom, and change the hex value for 3 or 4 colors, one or more
            of the colors will change. Gets annoying when I'm trying to get an EXACT color,
            but it keeps changing it to something that isn't the right shade I wanted.

I'm using Windows XP sp2 with Firefox 2.0.0.1

• 3. Re: problems creating custom themes
              Level 1
              I too am using WinXP SP2 and Firefox 2.0.0.1.

Thanks,
              Zoe
              • 4. Re: problems creating custom themes
                Hi there,
                Thanks for the browser/OS info and we'll look into it. Stay tuned...
                Sami
                • 5. Re: problems creating custom themes
                  elroybarton@netscape.net Level 1
                  I also cannot create a custom theme without the tool changing my base color... for instance, from hex 003366 to 005066... consistently, or from 003466 to 006566... as soon as I try to work with a second color. This happens in both FF 2.x and IE7 in WinXP-SP2. I look forward to a fix or solution....

quote:

Originally posted by: pixelsurge
                  I don't understand how kuler works for any serious color theme creation, and am really hoping for some instruction here. I get how you can add in a single color and get it to generate themes based on color rules for you. I also get how you can drag around the little circles at will. What I don't get is how you can generate a theme based on color rules, but then change one of the colors by typing in a new hex value or RGB values for it. I know you could drag its circle around independently from the other circles, but that's too imprecise for me. Is there any way to do this?

The reason I need to do this is because I have a two color logo that I am trying to create a theme based on. I can add the first color from the logo as the base color, and have kuler generate a color scheme based on a color rule. Then, when I have the scheme as I like it, but just want to change one of the colors to the second color from the logo, I click on "custom" and then input my second hex value in the second box. But when I do this, it makes this color the base color and changes all the other colors, including my original base color, to comply with the last color rule that I clicked on. This makes no sense to me, as I'm not currently on that color rule, but am instead on "custom." It's extremely frustrating.

Is there no way to manually input more than one color? Is there no way to "pin" colors?

• 6. Re: problems creating custom themes
                    cristobal03 Level 1
                    Same issue: using IE 6 SP 2 and FF 2.0.0.1 on a XP SP2 box, I can't lock colors using the Custom rule. Kind of curious Sami, what environment did you use when you got the correct behavior? I tried the exact same steps listed in post 2 with no result; the base color (as well as all the other colors) changed. What's more, simply clicking a different swatch will skew the colors on all the swatches. It almost looks as if the colors try to normalize across the spectrum. For example, randomly clicking the swatches (still in Custom) when the base color is a shade of green causes all the swatches to tend toward that same shade of green. I'm not sure if this is a feature or a bug, but I'd like to see independently adjustable color swatches in the Custom form.

chris.
                    • 7. Re: problems creating custom themes
                      Hi Chris,
                      I was running XP SP2 as well, but using Firefox 1.5. Hmmm, perhaps it's FF2 that's doing it. I've logged a bug to test this as randomly moving swatches is not a feature of Custom! :)

Sami
                      • 8. Re: problems creating custom themes
                        Level 1
                        Sami,

I just tried it in Firefox 1.5, and I can confirm that it does work as advertised in that browser. So, it does appear to be a FF 2 issue. How weird.

Zoe
                        • 9. Re: problems creating custom themes
                          jhanneman Level 1
                          I'm running XP SP2 and have both the color shifting problem and an inability to create custom sets in IE7, FF2, Opera 9, and Flock. (Figured I'd give them all a run at it.)
                          • 10. Re: problems creating custom themes
                            Opally Level 1
                            I'm having the same problem. FireFox 2..0.0.1 and IE 7.0, Win XP Pro SP2. When I create a custom theme and want to modify the second color, all colors change.

I am setting a fixed hex value 336699 for the leftmost square but it keeps changing to 338399 when I adjust HSV values for other squares.

Also, when I delete a theme it does not disappear.
                            • 11. Re: problems creating custom themes
                              alinear Level 1
                              I see the same problem -- Mac OSX.4.8 with Firefox 2 and latest Flash Player 9. I find this highly odd -- I'm a Flash developer and I can't imagine how a Flash application would cause shifts in model data just because you edit another object on screen!?

Also, along the same lines quite often when you click a swatch set to edit them
                              one of the colors will shift value between going from the search/listing view and the editor view.

http://www.alinear.net
                              • 12. Re: problems creating custom themes
                                Hi folks,
                                Thanks for the additional data points. I've updated the bug report and we're looking into it. Stay tuned.
                                Sami
                                • 13. Re: problems creating custom themes
                                  Level 7
                                  Hello,
                                  We are having trouble reproducing this bug. Please stay tuned.
                                  Sami
                                  • 14. Re: problems creating custom themes
                                    Hello,
                                    We are having trouble reproducing this bug. We tested on XP SP2 Firefox 1.5 and 2.0, IE 7 and 6, as well as MAC Safari 2.0 and Firefox. More to come...
                                    Sami
                                    • 15. Re: problems creating custom themes
                                      marciotoledo Level 1
                                      Sami, I too am using WinXP SP2 and Firefox 2.0.0.1.

Thanks,
                                      Marcio Toledo
                                      • 16. Re: problems creating custom themes
                                        Alinear, please contact me via private message with your email address. I have a question. Thanks, Sami
                                        • 17. problems creating custom themes
                                          Level 1
                                          Changing values in custom mode. Win XP Pro / fi , 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 , 2600, IE 7.0.5730.11
                                          and player version is 9,0,28,0
                                          • 18. Re: problems creating custom themes
                                            richofr Level 1
                                            I'm using win xp sp2 and have this problem with Opera 9.10, Firefox 2.0.0.1 and IE6 too... Strange that all those mainstream browsers don't work correctly, I think it's more likely related to the kuler implementation itself than browser issue...
                                            • 19. Re: problems creating custom themes
                                              greytreesrock Level 1
                                              Glad I saw this post, I thought I just didn't understand how kuler worked. I'm working in Custom mode, but when I click on a color square the previous color shifts a little. And sometimes editing one color affects all of them. I'm using Windows XP Home SP 2 and FireFox 1.5.0.9.
                                              • 20. Re: problems creating custom themes
                                                Hi everyone,
                                                We have verified a fix for the custom rule not allowing adjustments to individual colors, as it should. The same fix should also address the color shifting. Stay tuned to hear when these will be implemented on the live site!
                                                Sami
                                                • 21. Re: problems creating custom themes
                                                  fowlerjam Level 1
                                                  Hey folks, here it is, March 6, 2007 and I find that all the problems cited here are still happening. I use Mac OSX 10.4.8, FireFox 2.0.0.1 and Flash 9 - most recent version. I find that the entire site is really frustrating. The value to me is: I find a color combo that is close to what I'm imagining, copy down the color value (using pen and paper) and go back to photoshop and make my edits there. Actually using this site for the intended purpose is not worth the time - It just doesn't work. Also, it confirms my hard-bit opinion that Flash is to be avoided in every way.
                                                  James
                                                  • 22. Re: problems creating custom themes
                                                    Level 7
                                                    Hi folks,
                                                    Thanks for those of you still hanging in there. This fix was part of a rather
                                                    complex series of changes around the color wheel. We've had some housekeeping
                                                    issues that have prevented us from releasing an update with this fix. We
                                                    appreciate your patience.
                                                    Sami

• 23. Re: problems creating custom themes
                                                      Hi folks,
                                                      Thanks for those of you still hanging in there. This fix was part of a rather complex series of changes around the color wheel. We've had some housekeeping issues that have slowed us from releasing an update with this fix. We appreciate your patience!
                                                      Sami
                                                      • 24. Re: problems creating custom themes
                                                        greytreesrock Level 1
                                                        np Sam, it's totally cool that Adobe put it up for everyone to play with for free :)

• 25. Re: problems creating custom themes
                                                          462Chuck Level 1
                                                          quote:

Originally posted by: greytreesrock
                                                          np Sam, it's totally cool that Adobe put it up for everyone to play with for free :)

I would hate to have to pay for a tool that doesn't work right. This bug has made me leave this tool frustrated multiple times. There are plenty of other free web tools that don't adjust color values that you define.

I have noticed this issue from the first time I used it in 2006, still not fixed 3/12/07.
                                                          • 26. Re: problems creating custom themes
                                                            Hello, the new release of kuler is live! More details... Many thanks again for your help. Please let us know if it's working for you now.
                                                            Sami
                                                            • 27. Re: problems creating custom themes
                                                              dagarrat Level 1
                                                              Yes, this new release seems to eradicate that erratic behavior when choosing colors. Thank you!

Now the only browser that the new release seems to work in is Firefox. In Camino and Safari, I still get the old release.

Maybe I should just go to sleep and wake back up, right? *LOL!*