10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 5, 2015 9:31 AM by A.T. Romano

Premier Elements 9.0 fails in Windows 7

pushkarD1101

Hi All,

I had purchases Photoshop Elements 9 & Premier Elements 9 as a combo pack in USA in 2010. I had installed both the software on my Dell XPS with 2 GB Ram and dual core running Windows 7 and a 250GB HDD then and it was worked perfectly fine.

Later I moved to India and it continued to work without any issue. Last year my HDD crashed. I installed a new 500GB HDD and keeping all the hardware same reinstalled all the software back as they were. But after that Premier 9 stopped working. Only the organizer will work but when I select New or open a existing project it just shows a blank screen and nothing happens. If I try to close it, then it gets closed instantly without any error message.

I uninstalled and reinstalled it. Then it worked couple of times and again started failing. I even installed a patch to make it 9.0.1 but after that it worked couple of times only and then again stopped.

I as a trial installed it on a new Windows 8 machine and there it worked without any issue.

My problem is that the new window 8 machine does not have firewire port, only the XPS has it. I am not sure if Window 8 will work on the old XPS laptop. But before I try to get a Window 8 for the XPS I want to know as to why the PE9 suddenly started failing.

I have read lot of post about PE 9 failing but most seems to be due to corrupted video being tried to edit, or space or memory issue. In my case none of that is applicable. I am not even sure where to start digging. Uninstalling and reinstalling also does not help always as the product is not 100% installed. It keeps something behind so next time even after reinstall it fails in older logins and I have to create a new login every time where it will work for couple of times and then again start failing.

Any help would be highly appreciated as I have more that 50 hours of DV tapes to be backed out to HDD and without PE 9 working on XPS I have no way of doing it.

Thanks in Advance

PushkarD1101

• 1. Re: Premier Elements 9.0 fails in Windows 7
          A.T. Romano Level 7

pushkard

Did the Del XPS use Windows 7 32 or 64 bit computer operating system?

1. Have you assured that the video card/graphics card driver is up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card?

If you have and the driver version is up to date, then delete the BadDrivers.txt file according to the instructions that apply to you in the

following.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE: BadDrivers.Txt File Locations

2. Have you deleted the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file and, if necessary, the whole 9.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements

Prefs file exists?

Local Disk C

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 9.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden

Files, Folders, and Drives enabled so that you can see the complete path cited.

Please review and consider the above and then we can decide what next based on your reply.

Thanks

ATR

Add On....Not sure if these are applicable to the Dell XPS Windows 8 side of the matter

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN116469/EN

I did not see any mention of firewire?

• 2. Re: Premier Elements 9.0 fails in Windows 7
            pushkarD1101 Level 1

Hi ATR,

Thanks for your response. Will check on this.

The win 7 is 32 bit and remained same even after HDD change.

Thanks,

PushkarDighe

• 3. Re: Premier Elements 9.0 fails in Windows 7
              pushkarD1101 Level 1

Hi ATR,

Bad luck nothing worked.

I deleted the BadDrivers.txt from the path that you had suggested, then I went to C:\users\<user_name>\AppData\Roming\Adobe and deleted both the folders "Premier Elements" and "Premier Elements 9.0" still the issue persist.

Instead of opening my existing project I even tried opening the default project and new project but in all cases only the top menu bar will come up and rest of the screen will remain grey. The modules will not get loaded at all. If I try again to open something new then a error message will popup stating that a serious error has occurred and PE needs to shut down. Click ok and PE is gone in a flash. I have attached the screen shot of what I see when PE gets stuck

Thanks,

PushkarDighe

Adobe Premier Elements 9.0 screen shot.jpg

• 4. Re: Premier Elements 9.0 fails in Windows 7
                pushkarD1101 Level 1

Hi ATR,

Not sure if my yesterday's post was visible to you or not so posting again

Bad luck nothing worked.

I deleted the BadDrivers.txt from the path that you had suggested, then I went to C:\users\<user_name>\AppData\Roming\Adobe and deleted both the folders "Premier Elements" and "Premier Elements 9.0" still the issue persist.

Instead of opening my existing project I even tried opening the default project and new project but in all cases only the top menu bar will come up and rest of the screen will remain grey. The modules will not get loaded at all. If I try again to open something new then a error message will popup stating that a serious error has occurred and PE needs to shut down. Click ok and PE is gone in a flash. I have attached the screen shot of what I see when PE gets stuck

Thanks,

PushkarDighe

• 5. Re: Premier Elements 9.0 fails in Windows 7
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

pushkarD1101

Thanks for the re-post. I got detoured on personal business this morning and am catching up.

I will post my comment within the next few hours.

ATR

• 6. Re: Premier Elements 9.0 fails in Windows 7
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

PushkarDighe

Thanks for the replies. Sorry for the delays, but detours and wanting to think about this some more went into the delays.

If you have not already, these are additional paths to explore to find the explanation for the Premiere Elements 9 issue.

But, first assure that the problem exists with and without the antivirus and firewall(s) disabled. Depending on last resorts, we might want to compare the outcome with antivirus disabled (Real Time Protection) versus antivirus uninstalled.

1. You say that you have uninstall/reinstall the program many times in your troubleshooting. When you did that, did you go

through

a. Uninstall the usual Control Panel way

b. Followed by free ccleaner run through (regular and registry cleaner parts) to get rid of leftovers from incomplete uninstalls/reinstalls.

CCleaner - Download

c. Reinstall with antivirus and firewall(s) disabled.

d. Download and install of the 9.0.1 Update

Adobe - Premiere Elements : For Windows : Premiere Elements 9.0.1 update

2. Create a new user account with administrative privileges and install and try to run Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 from there.

3. Download and install tryout installation files for Premiere Elements 9 from the following web site and then insert your purchased serial number in them during installation. To avoid Access Denied message, please follow carefully the web site's "Note: Very Important Instructions".

Photoshop Elements 9 / Premiere Elements 9 Direct Download Links | ProDesignTools

Please review the above and let us know the results.

Thank you.

ATR

• 7. Re: Premier Elements 9.0 fails in Windows 7
                      pushkarD1101 Level 1

Hi ATR,

Thanks for your suggestions...here is what all I have done up till now:

1. All uninstal were done using the control panel -> Uninstall program method.

2. No I did not use any registry cleaner s/w

3. Antivirus was active all throughout

4. The admin account for installation and uninstallations remained the same, but I kept creating standard accounts to use the software for what ever it would run.

5. The 9.0.1 update was also tried...thanks to that I managed to get 1 tape dumped in a single session and that it stopped working after that.

I will try your suggestions over the weekend. Will keep you updated.

Thank you,

PushkarDighe

• 8. Re: Premier Elements 9.0 fails in Windows 7
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

PushkarDighe

Thanks for considering the suggestions.

Word of caution...Premiere Elements does administrator rights. With standard accounts, I suspect you might be running in program features that are requiring administrative rights to open some files.

Also, please explore the possible effects of antivirus and firewall(s) on the issues. And, the free ccleaner as part of the uninstall reinstall scheme should be looked at.

We will be looking forward to your results when you get the time.

Best wishes

ATR

• 9. Re: Premier Elements 9.0 fails in Windows 7
                          pushkarD1101 Level 1

Hi ATR,

Sorry for the delayed response had lot of things going.I tried the first and the easiest option of shutting out McAfee and running PE. It worked perfectly fine. The speed at which PE booted up and the panels showed up seemed to prove that McAfee seems to be the culprit.

Don't have much time today also but will take few more trials during the week hope full this should be it

Thanks for all your help on this

Thank you,

PushkarDighe

• 10. Re: Premier Elements 9.0 fails in Windows 7
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

PushkarDighe

Thanks for the follow up and the good news that you targeted McAfee as major factor in the problem. Great job.

McAfee is often major offender in this type of matter.

Best wishes for success in moving forward with your Premiere Elements projects.

ATR