11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2015 1:19 PM by pcgould

Question about converting my RAW files to DNG

pcgould

I've shot with Nikon, Olympus, and Panasonic so I'm familiar with all their proprietary RAW formats that each uses. I'd like to convert all my RAW files to DNG and then use that on import into LR going forward. I noticed that the DNG files from the Panasonic or Olympus images don't display a thumbnail in my finder folders (Mac OS X) so I tried some experiments.

I used the "convert to DNG" function in LR for some RAW files from each of the 3 cameras. Only the images taken with the Nikon D5300 show a thumbnail image in my finder folder. The Oly and Panny shots only display the DNG icon. Next I used the "export to DNG" function thinking that might make the thumbnail available but it was just the same. I would like to be able to see the images in my finder folders and also be able to open them to view in "preview" but only the Nikon converted DNGs will open in preview and not the Panny or Oly DNGs. Am I doing something wrong in the preferences? I've attached a screen shot of my preferences settings for DNG in LR and the thumbs that I'm seeing in my finder folders.

These are the settings I have set in preferences in LR

convert dng.jpg

This is my Nikon NEF image converted to DNG leaf-Nikon-dng.jpg   and my Panasonic RAW image converted to DNG (same thing happens with Olympus ORF files)   panny-dng.jpg

• 1. Re: Question about converting my RAW files to DNG
          Benjamin Root MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Well, this is most likely a Mac issue. I believe Finder actually disregards Adobe thumbnails and creates its own.

Benjamin

• 2. Re: Question about converting my RAW files to DNG
            pcgould Level 1

If that is the case, why do the converted Nikon DNG files show perfectly and other people I know with Macs have no problem seeing their DNG thumbs/previews from Nikon and Canon files? I also have no problem with Adobe PSD files in finder.

• 3. Re: Question about converting my RAW files to DNG
              Benjamin Root MVP & Adobe Community Professional

That I'm not exactly sure about. Apple does show thumbnails for both Canon and Nikon, and DNG. So, that stumped me as well...

• 4. Re: Question about converting my RAW files to DNG
                ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I probably missed this detail in what you’ve posted, but do you see the thumbnails of the three cameras’ raw files in Finder if you don’t convert to DNG?

What has happened in the past is that the Apple raw interpreter doesn’t read thumbnails of DNGs it doesn’t like, where at least one thing it didn’t used to like was embedded lens corrections for mirrorless cameras.  Are the Olympus and Panasonic mirrorless—meaning there is no optical viewfinder and everything is seen on an LCD screen or perhaps an electronic view finder?  If so the reason these are different is that the camera is doing the lens distortion corrections automatically and this information is stored in the raw files and in the DNGs but Apple doesn’t know how to use these embedded lens corrections or doesn’t know how to read the newer DNG spec that does allow for this information to be embedded in the DNG, at least.

Apple could just extract the embedded jpg preview and ignore the other parts of the file it doesn’t understand, but it apparently doesn’t do this.

What I’m not sure about is if the Apple raw interpreter still has this problem or if you’re on an older system without the latest updates for camera raw decoding by Apple.

• 5. Re: Question about converting my RAW files to DNG
                  pcgould Level 1

I am running OS 10.8 (Mountain Lion) and my Lightroom/PS is through the subscription so all the camera RAW decoding is up to date from the Adobe front. As for the Apple side, I do see all thumbs for RAW files from all 3 different cameras and yes, the Panasonics are the GH2 and GH3 and the Olympus was the EM-1, all mirrorless cameras. What you suggest about the mirrorless cameras may just be the snag but that only applies to the DNG format. The attached are RAW thumbs in finder from my GH2 and my EM-1 so Apple has no problems showing the RAW files, only the converted DNG files.

RAW-Pan.jpgEM1-ORFfile.jpg

• 6. Re: Question about converting my RAW files to DNG

Here is a dpreview thread from over a year ago that talks about the same issue, perhaps:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3588405

What I’m not sure about is if Apple has improved things in more recent OSes or not.

• 7. Re: Question about converting my RAW files to DNG
                      pcgould Level 1

Thanks for that link. I had posted my question on dpreview 2 days ago but with no replies. Although this thread on dpreview isn't exactly the same issue, it is certainly related and it appears that the DNG conversion is different for certain m4/3 systems. While I don't use Aperture, that different tweaking in the conversion may be causing the file previews to not display. Until that is resolved, I may rethink converting my RAW files since I have plenty of HD space and don't see any immediate benefit to converting to DNG.

• 8. Re: Question about converting my RAW files to DNG

Converting to DNG may preclude non-Adobe software from working with the files—as you have seen.

Not converting to DNG and leaving native raw causes Adobe software to store saved metadata in a sidecar file and doesn’t allow for an updated preview to be stored.

For me not limiting myself to DNG-understanding software is more important that whatever benefits DNGs provide so I don’t convert to DNG on a routine basis and only do it when I am making DNG Profiles with the DNG Profile Editor, and when I have a new camera that ACR/DNGC understand by LR doesn’t, yet, which is the situation the E-M5 Mark II people are in, but I am not, luckily.

• 9. Re: Question about converting my RAW files to DNG
                          pcgould Level 1

I've just converted a RAW file from my old Panny FZ50 and it shows up just as it should so then I think maybe it is a mirrorless problem since the ones that don't work right are my Panny GH2/GH3 and Oly EM-1. Someone who replied to my post on DPReview says he has no trouble with his Olympus converted files on his MacBook Pro but I don't know which model Oly he's using and wonder if it is not mirrorless.

rebirth.jpg

• 10. Re: Question about converting my RAW files to DNG
                            pcgould Level 1

I think this may be an issue with running Mountain Lion and the poster on DPReview, who had no issues with his Olympus files, is running Yosemite. Looks like I'll update but have been delaying it since I'll have to upgrade some programs that I'm running $$.

• 11. Re: Question about converting my RAW files to DNG
                              pcgould Level 1

I just updated my MacBook Air to OS 10.10.2 and mystery solved - it all works. RW2 files that I converted to DNG show perfectly in finder and open in Preview.