2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 29, 2015 2:29 PM by omid_pakbin

Can I do all my work with 8 bpc and then change the comp to 32 bpc for final render?

omid_pakbin Level 1

Well, I know I can, but I want to know if this is a fine workflow.

Since non of the effects in AE are destructive, when I change from 8-bit to 32-bit everything gets recalculated, right?

To give you more detail, I'm working with RAW footage from my Canon 5Dm3 and I'm using Element 3D and RedGiant plugins. The whole thing has tons of comps and effects.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Can I do all my work with 8 bpc and then change the comp to 32 bpc for final render?
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The look of blend modes, color correction, and blurs, gradients, and motion blur will change so you'll need to check everything carefully before you render. FYI I seldom work in anything but 32Bit because most of my work involves a lot of blending and layering and that all works better. If I do 8 bit projects they are usually just simple graphics. Even those projects are usually converted to 16bit for rendering.

Most of the time I render tests for client approval using the AME using the Vimeo or YouTube h.264 presets, but most approved projects are rendered to a 32 bit image sequence if they are to be used again or at minimum a 10 bit 444 Digital lIntermediate for archiving. Compressed deliverables are always rendered using the Adobe Media Encoder or specialized software requested by the client.

• 2. Re: Can I do all my work with 8 bpc and then change the comp to 32 bpc for final render?
            omid_pakbin Level 1

Thank you so much sir!

I just changed the project to 32-bit now and the render speed is not really that much slower. It's worth it. So I will do my work completely in 32-bit from now on.

Highly appreciate your detailed response.