6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 29, 2015 11:48 PM by station_two

Adobe Camera Raw ACR crashes instantly when hitting accent key

MPPhoto

I just lost several hours of work because ACR 8 with PS CC2014 crashes every time you hit the accent key ´ which is under to the Volume up and down keys on a German keyboard.

An error message says: "The command could not be completed because of a program error." See screenshot.

Is that a known bug?

Thank you

Marco

BTW: The ACR interface looks like it's from the nineties. How long will Adobe drag this through upgrades?

Screen Shot 2015-03-29 at 23.48.33.jpg

• 1. Re: Adobe Camera Raw ACR crashes instantly when hitting accent key
          Level 5

The OP neglects to mention that the "´" key on a German keyboard behaves like the Escape key and that, in his original thread in the Photoshop forum, I've pointed out that it is normal, expected behavior in any software—on any platform—for a dialog box to close when the Escape key is pressed.

Adobe Camera Raw ACR crashes instantly when hitting accent key !!!

He's mischaracterizing the orderly CLOSE of the ACR dialog box as "crashing", which ACR is not.

Eric Chan?

• 2. Re: Adobe Camera Raw ACR crashes instantly when hitting accent key
            MPPhoto Level 1

Hello station_two,

a big thank you for your involvement and for pointing out my errors and wrongs. And for explaining what I really mean.

I never said that the accent key behaves like the ESC key. Somebody assumed that.

The ESC key does indeed close the ACR batch without asking. But this is not the point of my original post.

Let my clarify:

If you press the accent key on a German keyboard in Mac OS X 10.9.5 on a MBP in ACR 8.8 then this happens:

ACR closes the batch

No changes are saved

You get an error message.

Best

Marco

• 3. Re: Adobe Camera Raw ACR crashes instantly when hitting accent key
              Level 5

MPPhoto wrote:

…Let my clarify:

If you press the accent key on a German keyboard in Mac OS X 10.9.5 on a MBP in ACR 8.8 then this happens:

ACR closes the batch

No changes are saved

You get an error message

All that, minus the error message of course, is normal, expected behavior—as have repeatedly explained.

Wait for the ACR Engineering team to confirm that.

This is what you said in one of the posts in your original thread:

MPPhoto wrote:

Secondly, you are right again: the accent key on my German keyboard behaves like the Escape key.

But: I don't think it's normal to loose all changes without even an "Are You Sure?" like the one you get when cancelling a batch in ACR. Also, I get an error message saying that the Command could not be completed because of a program error. Well, that is neither helpful nor normal, I would say.…

To that I responded that I would suspect a programming level error or conflict at the Windows OX level in the mapping of that "´" key in the German windows keyboard layout.  Photoshop does not re-map your keyboard layout.

The UI you criticize in the ACR modal dialog boxes is the by-far-superior Mac UI.  If you expected to see the god-awful black interface with white letters offered by Adobe in Photoshop since Photoshop CS6 13.0.x, just check all other modal dialog boxes in Photoshop, such as the Open and Save dialog boxes.  They are all light backgrounds with black letters.

The butt-ugly black interface with white letters is an abomination that I immediately step away from the instant I install any new version of Photoshop.  Mercifully, Adobe has made that a mere option instead of foisting it upon us as mandatory.

In modal dialog boxes, you don't even get the option to select the dark interface at all.

• 4. Re: Adobe Camera Raw ACR crashes instantly when hitting accent key
                Level 5

No software known to me gives you a warning when closing a dialog box.

Simply stated, you should never be hitting that key while you are in ACR.

• 5. Re: Adobe Camera Raw ACR crashes instantly when hitting accent key
                  MPPhoto Level 1

I would appreciate if you could be so kind and stop lecturing people -or at least me- about what you think is normal.

I had a batch of 50 RAW files open and lost several hours of work because I accidentally hit the accent key while going for the Volume Down key. I am not talking about any dialog boxes here.

Best

M.

• 6. Re: Adobe Camera Raw ACR crashes instantly when hitting accent key
                    Level 5

MPPhoto wrote:

…I am not talking about any dialog boxes here…

…<sigh !>…

Yes you are, Marco.

The Adobe Camera RAW window is a modal dialog box.  All its tabs are modal dialog boxes.

All dialog  boxes MUST close when the Escape key is pressed, or a key that somehow acts somewhat like the Escape key is pressed.

You cannot get around that, Marco.  Sorry if that irritates you, but that is reality.

All we do here is try to help people and offer workarounds.

If you're prone to hitting that key too often accidentally, perhaps the workaround would be for you to disable it, either by re-mapping the offending software keyboard layout, or by physically removing or otherwise disabling it in your hardware keyboard.

If the Adobe Camera Raw Team determines it is an Apple OS bug in the mapping of that key on a German keyboard, I can guarantee you that it will be quite a while before Apple fixes that.

I am now assuming you're on a Mac because of the interface shown in your screen shot.

I understand you are frustrated, and I feel for you for having lost many hours of work for a momentary gesture of inattention, but so far you have not given any details whatsoever about your setup

BOILERPLATE TEXT:

If you give complete and detailed information about your setup and the issue at hand,

such as your platform (Mac or Win),

exact versions of your OS, of Photoshop (not just "CS6" or "CC2014", but something like CS6v.13.0.6, or CC2014 v 15.0.x) and of Bridge,

your settings in Photoshop > Preference > Performance

the type of file you were working on,

machine specs, such as total installed RAM, scratch file HDs, total available HD space, video card specs, including total VRAM installed,

what troubleshooting steps you have taken so far,

what error message(s) you receive,

if having issues opening raw files also the exact camera make and model that generated them,

if you're having printing issues, indicate the exact make and model of your printer, paper size, image dimensions in pixels (so many pixels wide by so many pixels high). if going through a RIP, specify that too.

A screen shot of your settings or of the image could be very helpful too,

etc.,

someone may be able to help you (not necessarily this poster, who is not a Windows user).

Please read this FAQ for advice on how to ask your questions correctly for quicker and better answers:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/419981?tstart=0

MORE BOILERPLATE TEXT, extracted from another FAQ:

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/375816?tstart=0

Do not be abusive or aggressive in your tone

An aggressive, demanding, accusatory or abusive sounding post will often evoke an aggressive or abusive and unhelpful reply.

Remember, you are not addressing Adobe here in the user forums.  You are requesting help from volunteers users just like you who give their time free of charge. No one has any obligation to answer your questions.

Thanks!