5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 30, 2015 6:11 PM by A.T. Romano

"The importer reported a generic error".

TheBigNast

Trying to import a .wmv file into Elements 12. File fails to import each time with aforementioned message. File is not corrupt, and plays fine. File is a webcam recording. Been having issues with this for a while now, and been working around it by converting the files into other file types, but I'm sick of it and want to fix the problem. Files are being recorded with a Logitech Webcam using their software on a laptop running Windows 8, then moved via flash drive to a desktop running Windows 7. I'll provide any other info I can if needed. Any ideas?

• 1. Re: "The importer reported a generic error".
          A.T. Romano Level 7

TheBIgNast

Premiere Elements has problems with video that is recorded with a variable frame rate. The symptoms range from audio out of sync to not being able to import the video at all. The typically fix is to convert the variable  to constant frame rate in a free program such as HandBrake (H.264.mp4).

If we can confirm that your webcam video is being recorded with a variable frame rate, then your solution is what you are doing now - conversion which is probably changing the variable to constant frame rate among other things. Unless...can you set the webcam to record with a constant frame rate if it is not already?

But, so that we do not take anything for granted....download and install the free MediaInfo properties readout program (Tree View) and look at the frame rate.

If you see 3 frames rates (minimum, mid range, and maximum), your video was recorded with a variable frame rate. Just be careful with your choices in the download and install of MediaInfo since it is known to travel with unwanted baggage.

Please review and consider.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: "The importer reported a generic error".
            TheBigNast Level 1

It is a variable frame rate. Looking into seeing if I can use Handbrake to salvage the original video. Going forward, any suggestions on what webcam recording programs I could use with constant frame rates, assuming I can't change the one I'm using?

• 3. Re: "The importer reported a generic error".
              A.T. Romano Level 7

TheBigNast

Thanks for the reply.

If you need any assistance with the settings for HandBrake, please let me know.

As for alternative webcams....I suspect that they are all the same with regard to recording with a variable frame rate, but I do not know that for sure.

You might consider contacting the manufacturer of your webcam to determine if it sells a webcam that records with a constant frame rate or if one comes with a user control to set for variable or constant frame rate.

We will be watching for your progress.

ATR

• 4. Re: "The importer reported a generic error".
                TheBigNast Level 1

Thanks for all your help. I was able to use handbrake to make the video work. I also took a look at my webcam's settings, and changed the recording from high quality to "lossless". Hopefully, this fixes the issue on frame rates. If not, I will explore other options.

I'll be keeping handbrake around, as it's pretty useful. Thank you again so much for your help. Cheers.

• 5. Re: "The importer reported a generic error".
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

TheBigNast

Thanks for the update with the good news. Sounding good. Great job.

Best wishes.

ATR