3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 29, 2015 11:19 PM by Willi Adelberger

how to "print booklet" to pdf in indesign/options greyed out...?

PeterAlanHoffmann

I'm trying to make a PDF booklet but all the options are greyed out...I'm on OSX Yosemite and CC

• 1. Re: how to "print booklet" to pdf in indesign/options greyed out...?
          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

I would recommend to avoid this function in InDesign as it requires PostScript printing and it has some flaws.

Let the printer do all imposing, export single page PDFs.

If you need to make a booklet, use the Print Booklet functionality in Acrobat.

• 2. Re: how to "print booklet" to pdf in indesign/options greyed out...?
            Dov Isaacs Adobe Employee

Actually, Adobe recommends that you output the full document as a single PDF file and let the printer (either the print service provider or in some cases, the device itself often through printer driver options) deal with the imposition of the pages within that PDF file. Alternatively, there are third party plugins to Acrobat (such as Quite Imposing and PDF Snake) that provide the ability to do booklet making and perform other imposition functions within Acrobat, saving the result to a new PDF file.

Note the Print Booklet functionality with Acrobat can be very problematic if your target device has non-printable border areas defined, causing some page shrinkage.

- Dov

• 3. Re: how to "print booklet" to pdf in indesign/options greyed out...?
              Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Ok,

what I do sometimes is, that I have an imposed INDD dummy, linked to a 8 or 16 page dummy PDF/X-4 document and I replace the link with the correct PDF/X-4 output and make from this a PDF export. But this is not supposed to replace a pro impossing of the printer, but for home or office use dummy output.

But I would never recommend to output booklets or brochures from a Laser as it causes other problems, and most "kitchen and dormitory" printer cannot register exactly any paper neither are able to print to the border so a natural limitation is given.