6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 29, 2007 9:27 AM by Deaf Web Designer

Enlarging a Picture

Coxdabd Level 1
      Hello there,

I've been given a small image, I need to enlarge it but is the any way of maintaining the quality? I really do need the quality and for it to be at least three times larger than the original.

Regards,

Kristopher (UK).
        • 1. Re: Enlarging a Picture
          Level 7
          In a word, no. Upsampling a bitmap image will produce quality loss
          because you are essentially adding pixel data to a file that didn't
          exist in its original form.

--
          Jim Babbage - .:CMX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:.

Community MX
          Extending Knowledge, Daily
          http://www.communityMX.com/
          ---
          .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
          news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.fireworks
          news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.dreamweaver

Coxdabd wrote:
          > Hello there,
          >
          > I've been given a small image, I need to enlarge it but is the any way of
          > maintaining the quality? I really do need the quality and for it to be at least
          > three times larger than the original.
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          > Kristopher (UK).
          >
          • 2. Re: Enlarging a Picture
            Level 7
            On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 00:20:44 +0300, Coxdabd <webforumsuser@macromedia.co=
            m> =

wrote:

> I've been given a small image, I need to enlarge it but is the any wa=
            y =

> of
            > maintaining the quality? I really do need the quality and for it to be=
            =

> at least
            > three times larger than the original.

Think of this: when you enlarge 1 pixel to 3*3=3D9 pixels, 89% of result=
            ing =

information gets out of plain air. How could FW or any other software =

invent that 89% so they are the same as supposed to be in full quality =

image?

-- =

Ilya Razmanov
            http://photoshop.msk.ru - Photoshop plug-in filters
            • 3. Re: Enlarging a Picture
              Level 1
              Impossible.

Only if you have large, large photo file, say 3,072 pixel by 2,304 pixel photo image, then you can edit the image to smaller file. But you will not be able to expand the orginial image of 3072 by 2304, though.

The purpose of having large photo files, you can edit or make it smaller, say 800 by 600 or 600 by 480 pixel and then save it as jpg. But there is the catch, if you try to re-expand that JPF file, say 600 by 480 back to "original" size of 3072 by 2304, it will look horrible, badly fuzzy image.

Of course, keep the original document of that very large photo files.

If you have digital camera that is capable of producing large photo size, take advantage and get most out of large photo files, the better. But the catch is that once you open the large image file, the file size expodes like crazy.

I hope that helps.
              • 4. Re: Enlarging a Picture
                Level 1
                Impossible.

Only if you have large, large photo file, say 3,072 pixel by 2,304 pixel photo image, then you can edit the image to smaller file. But you will not be able to expand the orginial image of 3072 by 2304, though.

The purpose of having large photo files, you can edit or make it smaller, say 800 by 600 or 600 by 480 pixel and then save it as jpg. But there is the catch, if you try to re-expand that JPF file, say 600 by 480 back to "original" size of 3072 by 2304, it will look horrible, badly fuzzy image.

If you have digital camera that is capable of producing large photo size, take advantage and get most out of large photo files, the better. But the catch is that once you open the large image file, the file size expodes like crazy.

I hope that helps.
                • 5. Re: Enlarging a Picture
                  Level 1
                  Impossible.

I hope that helps.
                  • 6. Re: Enlarging a Picture
                    Level 1
                    Sorry about triple posting, the Adobe server is sorely painfully slow just now. Not sure why. I use very very fast computer, Mac Pro and very fast broadband cable modem. (Sighs)