0 Replies Latest reply on Jan 29, 2007 4:18 AM by gunshell

Implement the UI design

gunshell Level 1
      Hello everyone,

I am getting started with flex 2 those days. It’s amazing. A lot of features make it easy to develop applications. I have little experience in ActionScript3.0 so I am eager to know the ability of AS3.0 to build a dynamic UI and to interact with users. My question is whether all the steps and functions below can be done by AS3.0 alone. If it can, how could I acquire the necessary knowledge to do so? Just mastering one of the Flex 2 help documentation-programming ActionScript3.0 is enough? If it can’t, which additional technology(s) should I use with AS to carry out those purposes?

The aim of my project may involve in the following four main aspects: creating controls on the fly, using the resource of users’ local machine, detecting and storing every operation of a user and meanwhile preparing anti-operation for each operation, storing the key states in a specific operation. Although the appearance of this UI is sample, the client logic is a bit complicated.

To make a long story short, consider this presumption scenario. When a user accesses the MXML application via a browser, there are only 4 buttons, which are Save, Undo, Redo and Submit respectively, and a ComboBox called cbBox1 on the page. The user then does the following steps:
      1. Choose 1 in the cbBox1, a TextInput control named txt1 displays right below the cbBox1.
      2. Input a number 100 in the txt1.
      3. Press the Enter key in the txt1, a ComboBox called cbBox2 appears underneath the txt1 controls.
      4. Select 2 in the cbBox2, two TextInput controls dynamically created under the cbBox2 with the name of txt2 and txt3 respectively.
      5. Enter a number 200 in the txt2.
      6. Enter a number 300 in the txt3.
      7. Select the whole text in the txt2 via mouse.

After do that, the page should look like what Figure 1 shows.
      <The figure can't upload.>
      Figure 1

The functions needed to be implemented of each button are:
      1. The Save button should store all the controls, including data in them, to the user’s local machine so that when the next time he visits the page again, he will get what he had done previously through the saved file by pressing an import button.
      2. After selecting the total text in txt2, the user presses the Undo button for the first time. The selected state of txt2 should disappear. Press the Undo button for the second time, the content of txt3 will be empty. The third time, the content of txt2 empty. When he presses the Undo button for the fourth time, the two TextInput controls, txt2 and txt3, will be deleted. Keeping pressing it, up to the 7th time, everything is rollback as though he had done nothing and the page only has four buttons and a ComboBox.
      3. After the 7th stroke on the Undo button, the user keeps pressing the Redo button 7 times, which brings everything back again, the page looks exactly the same as Figure 1.
      4. When the user presses the Submit button, all the data in the three TextInput controls will be transmitted to an application server. If we provide another TextInput to allow users uploading a video clips, the situation might be complex. Because the size of the video file may be large, say 30M, it is possible that when the uploading is processing halfway, the network is down for some reason. I want to know after the failure is eliminated and the net is available again, whether AS3.0 can support to start the uploading right on the former breakpoint.

Another simple question, can .rm format files be embedded in MXML applications to play on the web page?
      Any advice will be appreciated.

Best Regards,