18 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2007 6:51 PM by AffordableWebDesign.us

Fireworks with Vista

Crazyfist
      Hi all, was just wondering if there was a known fix for this small bug with windows vista, when you open fireworks, vista has to change colour scheme if you are using Aero Glass, it changes to a standard non-see through colour scheme. Nothing major but its a little annoying.

Any ideas?
        • 1. Re: Fireworks with Vista
          Informatixau
          Does it generally function OK. I use Dreamwaver, photoshop and illustrator and can't sem to get anyone to confirm they are all compatible with VISTA. What has your experience been?

Regards,
          John Makras
          jmakras@informatix.com.au
          • 2. Re: Fireworks with Vista
            BurritoVictim
            I experienced the same message from Vista regarding Fireworks 8 when I launched it last night. It changes to "Aero Basic" while Fireworks is running and then changes back to "Aero Glass" when Fireworks 8 is closed. The program itself seemed to run fine, but I didn't use it extensively as I was just testing apps after installing Vista yesterday. FYI - Dreamweaver 8 and Photoshop CS2 installed and loaded without any problems on Vista, although I haven't had a lot of time to play with them yet.

John
            • 3. Re: Fireworks with Vista
              boone51
              So any word on an update for this? I'm very anxious to understand the commitment adobe has to fireworks. It's my favorite img app, and I'm affraid adobe is going to trash it.
              • 4. Fireworks with Vista
                Level 1
                boone51,

Fireworks 8, in technical term, was developed and built about 18 months ago, more or less... that is to say, it was designed to work around with Macs or Windows XP.

Perhaps that new release of FW, which is only few months away -- but don't know when specifically as to when Adobe Systems release and retails FW sometime this spring of this year. With that in mind, next release of FW probably will support Windows Vista.

The question is. Why did you proceed to install Windows Vista as early bird? Please understand and know that there will be some bug problems, and that MS probably will release some patches to fix some bug for next couple of months, and probably for next few years.

Microsoft took about five years to develop Vista. Most software developers usually build and develop product or fine-tuning existing software every 18 months, more or less. Use some principles of old math concept.

MS PR team claimed that Vista is most secure system architecture. Don't let this claim fool you. Windows XP had plenty of faulty bugs (and still can't even get it fixed for years). So be prepared for lot of bugs come up with Vista as time go.

quote:

Originally posted by: boone51
                So any word on an update for this? I'm very anxious to understand the commitment adobe has to fireworks. It's my favorite img app, and I'm affraid adobe is going to trash it.

• 5. Re: Fireworks with Vista
                  Level 1
                  BurritoVictim,

What version of DW8 are you running on Vista? I think I have seen some comments that some Vista users having problem running DW8 version 8.0.2 on Vista, but run fine on 8.0.1. I don't know what is going on, but am curious about what is yours.

quote:

Originally posted by: BurritoVictim
                  I experienced the same message from Vista regarding Fireworks 8 when I launched it last night. It changes to "Aero Basic" while Fireworks is running and then changes back to "Aero Glass" when Fireworks 8 is closed. The program itself seemed to run fine, but I didn't use it extensively as I was just testing apps after installing Vista yesterday. FYI - Dreamweaver 8 and Photoshop CS2 installed and loaded without any problems on Vista, although I haven't had a lot of time to play with them yet.

John

• 6. Re: Fireworks with Vista
                    Viscott Level 1
                    Fireworks 8.0.0.777 runs fine under Vista Ultimate Edition. However it will not work with the Aero interface and gets dumbed down to Windows Basic Mode.

Photoshop CS2 does strange things with the windows as well even thou Vista does not go into Windows Basic mode the Windows do get dumbed down for some reason just in Photoshop. Whereas in Fireworks your entire UI gets dumbed down.

Hopefully they will be taking advantage of the new UI tools that supposedly make it much easier to write programs for Vista. In the meantime it would be nice if they could address the issue.
                    • 7. Re: Fireworks with Vista
                      Viscott Level 1
                      And where is an update to 8.0.0.777 that revises it 8.0.2?
                      • 8. Re: Fireworks with Vista
                        boone51 Level 1
                        What are you talking about Deaf Web Designer? I was simply interested in whether or not there were any rumours of a patch. Since Flash and Dreamweaver both look fine on Vista I assume the problem is with fireworks. This means the patch would come from Adobe, not MS.

The real question is; Why did you single me out? I was the fourth person to post on here, and all the others clearly installed Vista as well. Vista has been released to the public. Anyone who works on computers will be experiencing Vista whether they like it or not. Since I also work on computers, I need to be able to know multiple platforms, browsers, and OSs to be efficient at what I do. I know for a fact that I'm not the pioneer of this concept.
                        • 9. Fireworks with Vista
                          Level 1
                          Boone51,

As for your comment quoted, "...Since Flash and Dreamweaver both look fine on Vista I assume the problem is with fireworks."

Never assume that application or software or OS is perfect.

Please try to understand that the current FW8 was designed, and developed/built approximately 18 months ago -- more or less -- to work with MS Windows XP or other system architecture.

And that, upcoming, next version of FW "is" around the corner but don't know when... sometime this spring of this year. With that in mind, with next release of FW supports Windows Vista.

Furthermore, MS have long history of having lot problems with Windows platform with thousands of bugs and faulty patches for a long time. Windows Vista is not perfect, as any system architecture.

Adobe System, Inc, do a pretty darn good job with development of any applications or software usually every 18 months, more or less. While Adobe release new version or new software every 18 months, MS work on Vista project for almost 5 years. Bam, finally, MS released Vista only few days ago. For next couple of few months, I can assure you that there probably will be some bug problem. Not only few months, probably few years for sure... just because look at what is going on with faulty bug problem for years at MS. What can you do about it? Do some research and dig around.
                          • 10. Re: Fireworks with Vista
                            BurritoVictim Level 1
                            Deaf Web Designer, I'm currently running Dreamweaver 8.0.2. Like yourself, I've seen a number of posts in the Dreamweaver forum regarding Vista. My experience has been good, although frustrating at times. The frustration has been from the administrator permissions/security of Vista and IIS 7 and figuring out how to get Dreamweaver to play nice with them. So far I haven't experienced the problems some Dreamweaver users are having (knock on wood) such as program crashes, etc.
                            • 11. Re: Fireworks with Vista
                              MsAndieJ
                              I came here looking for the dumb UI fix, myself. This thread intrigued me and I just gotta say something real quick.

It is understood that FW8 was developed before Vista was introduced. Does that mean that Adobe doesn't need to make a patch? No. And to take it a step further, what in the world would MS do to fix this? The problem is not a 'BUG' with Vista. The problem is simply incompatible GUI's. Vista uses a UI that is frankly more high tech and better than what a lot of the graphics programs offer. This means that the developers of the graphics programs need to make the patches. MS shouldnt dumb down something that is better to accomodate this.

As far as people installing Vista...I just bought a new laptop. When you make new computer purchases, they are GOING to come preinstalled with Vista. Its not a choice, as much as a given. Even with that comment, it is stated that MS has taken over 5 years to develop Vista. This is the best OS since 3.1. Sure, all new OS and all new programs are going to need continuing updates and patches. But, it is a great OS. It is very secure and reliable. This is no new ME.

The whole point is, as I stated above...this isn't an OS bug. This is an incompatibility issue that Adobe needs to patch. An OS bug is when something doesnt work as it should. Vista works just fine and is smart enough to know that it needs to dumb down it UI...I'd say MS did their part.
                              • 12. Re: Fireworks with Vista
                                Level 7
                                MsAndieJ wrote:

> Vista uses a UI that is
                                > frankly more high tech and better than what a lot of the graphics programs
                                > offer. This means that the developers of the graphics programs need to make
                                > the patches. MS shouldnt dumb down something that is better to accomodate this.

IMHO, it means that unless MS included backward compatibility with
                                popular applications, the newest version of their OS won't be adopted
                                too quickly.

Linda Rathgeber [PVII] *Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks*
                                --------------------------------------------------------------
                                http://www.projectseven.com
                                Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
                                CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
                                http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/
                                • 13. Re: Fireworks with Vista
                                  Viscott Level 1
                                  quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
                                  MsAndieJ wrote:

> Vista uses a UI that is
                                  > frankly more high tech and better than what a lot of the graphics programs
                                  > offer. This means that the developers of the graphics programs need to make
                                  > the patches. MS shouldnt dumb down something that is better to accomodate this.

IMHO, it means that unless MS included backward compatibility with
                                  popular applications, the newest version of their OS won't be adopted
                                  too quickly.

What a typical response...if you read the thread it does work with Vista. And does go into a "basic compatibility mode".

The question is will Adobe address the reason the UI has to go into compatibility mode and issue a patch or simply say you have to buy the next version?
                                  • 14. Re: Fireworks with Vista
                                    Level 7
                                    Viscott wrote:

> The question is will Adobe address the reason the UI has to go into
                                    > compatibility mode and issue a patch or simply say you have to buy the next
                                    > version?

Ask Adobe?

--
                                    • 15. Re: Fireworks with Vista
                                      MsAndieJ Level 1
                                      quote:

Originally posted by: Viscott
                                      quote:

What a typical response...if you read the thread it does work with Vista. And does go into a "basic compatibility mode".

The question is will Adobe address the reason the UI has to go into compatibility mode and issue a patch or simply say you have to buy the next version?

I don't think anyone is arguing whether it 'works' or not. Thats sort of the point. It does work...its just annoying. What the thread is about is whether there is a patch so that this annoyance goes away...which was the whole point of my post. People were talking about Vista being the problem, and MS needing to fix it. No...as technology improves, developers need to stay abreast and make the accomodations to their users. Lets face it, Vista's UI is of a higher eschelon than old XP based graphics programs. I think Vista is too new to being assuming that all developers have all patches in. I'm running into this problem on a fairly frequent basis, as I run Vista and there are NO programs I use that are 'compatible' yet.

As much as most of us are Anti-OS, its simply something we are forced to deal with.

MS should NOT be making a patch...Adobe should. Thats what I was saying.

• 16. Fireworks with Vista
                                        Viscott Level 1
                                        quote:

Originally posted by: MsAndieJ
                                        quote:

Originally posted by: Viscott
                                        quote:

I don't think anyone is arguing whether it 'works' or not. Thats sort of the point. It does work...its just annoying. What the thread is about is whether there is a patch so that this annoyance goes away...which was the whole point of my post. People were talking about Vista being the problem, and MS needing to fix it. No...as technology improves, developers need to stay abreast and make the accomodations to their users. Lets face it, Vista's UI is of a higher eschelon than old XP based graphics programs. I think Vista is too new to being assuming that all developers have all patches in. I'm running into this problem on a fairly frequent basis, as I run Vista and there are NO programs I use that are 'compatible' yet.

As much as most of us are Anti-OS, its simply something we are forced to deal with.

MS should NOT be making a patch...Adobe should. Thats what I was saying.

EXACTLY! That was my point too.

I have many other much older programs that run perfectly in Vista. So I think it is only a fair question to ask when Adobe is going to patch the problem. Photoshop CS2 is just as whacked with the UI.

I guess maybe we are expecting too much....seems other developers are getting their fixes out quite rapidly now.

--Jon
                                        • 17. Re: Fireworks with Vista
                                          Level 7
                                          MsAndieJ wrote:

> The question is will Adobe address the reason the UI has to go into
                                          > compatibility mode and issue a patch or simply say you have to buy the next
                                          > version?

The answer is that only Adobe knows. This is a user to user forum. If
                                          you want a definitive answer, then keep an eye peeled for any
                                          information related to your question on the Adobe Website. Anything else
                                          is just guessing.

--
                                          • 18. Re: Fireworks with Vista
                                            AffordableWebDesign.us
                                            I am using Vista Business. I have the same problem when I run Fireworks 8
                                            Vista pops up a message to say.. "The color scheme has been changed to Windows Vista Basic. A running program isn't compatible with certain visual elements of Windows. "

I have lots of other 3rd. party applications and all work well with Vista.